Quantcast Resale Changes Eff 4/4/16 -UPDATED AGAIN??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Resale Changes Eff 4/4/16 -UPDATED AGAIN??

It looks like Disney will be restricting resale benefits with a new restriction date of April 4, 2016 to be grandfathered.

This is from the Member Site:
    You should not purchase or add on real estate interest in a Disney Vacation Club Resort in reliance upon the continued availability or renewal or extension of these offers. These offers may only be available to Members at various times and may or may not be renewed or extended. Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block–out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who do not purchase an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.
    Under Membership Extras they currently list on the site:
    Here are some examples of what's currently available (subject to change):
    Save on select dining at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort
    Enjoy discounts on select spa treatments, watersports rentals and more
    Get golf course discounts at Walt Disney World Resort
    Save on select merchandise and theme park tours
    Save on select theme park Annual Passes
    Receive invites to special events and experiences, like movie screenings and Member gatherings
    More under Membership Benefits
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they are trying to make sure that all vacation club sales are made directly by Disney!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

So is all that is left for new resales the option to stay at DVC resorts? Given that DVC won't buy direct from members who want to sell what choices will be left to dispose of your contracts if you can't afford it etc? It seems like a pretty major change.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Ick! We seriously thought about DVC last summer, and decided that if/when we take the plunge it will have to be resale, the direct prices are just too high. This is starting to get a bit silly though ... they are REALLY cracking down!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

So, if you purchased resale prior to April 4, 2016, you are still eligible to receive the member extras?

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

The money grab continues - so the only ones who now would benefit from resale are existing members who already have the benefits because they have membership prior to today.

What this may do is really drive down the cost of points on the secondary market...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

A letter from Ken Potrock has just been posted, here's a portion:

As our Member community continues to grow, we want to make sure we can continue to deliver the Membership Extras that add value to your overall experience – offerings that are provided as a premium advantage to our Members who purchase directly from Disney Vacation Club.

With that in mind, please be aware of a policy change regarding the availability of Membership Extras to our membership. As previously communicated (effective March 21, 2011), Getaways included within the Disney Collection (e.g., Disney Cruise Line and Adventures by Disney) and the Concierge Collection, which are now part of Membership Extras, have not been available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Club. Now, effective April 4, 2016, Members who do not purchase their ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Club will not have access to other Membership Extras, such as exclusive Member experiences and discounts. Please know that as a current Disney Vacation Club Member (regardless of when or where you bought your membership), your access to Disney Differences and these additional Membership Extras will not be affected by this policy change. For more details about our Membership Extras program, please refer to our Membership Extras Acknowledgment and Disclosure Statement available online at disneyvacationclub.com.

We see this policy change as a very positive step to ensure that, going forward, our Members who purchase directly from Disney Vacation Club receive a premium advantage – in addition to all the magic that Disney has to offer
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

We see this policy change as a very positive step to ensure that, going forward, our Members who purchase directly from Disney Vacation Club receive a premium advantage – in addition to all the magic that Disney has to offer
    ...at almost double the price of the resale market

With that said, most people on this forum have told people considering buying into DVC to not let the discounts be a factor in your decision, as those can change at any time (remember complimentary valet parking? I really miss that one). I also saw this morning a cost analysis of buying from Disney versus resale, even with the new restrictions. You have to buy 4,000 t-shirts with the discount to make up the difference in price.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The money grab continues - so the only ones who now would benefit from resale are existing members who already have the benefits because they have membership prior to today.

What this may do is really drive down the cost of points on the secondary market...
    Hope it does drive down the prices, as I was considering adding a few more points. We now go to Food and Wine for 6 nights and could use the extra points.
    Christine ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Those who now buy resale lose the discounts on dining, shopping, annual passes, and access to member-exclusive events.

They still have access to RCI.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Hope it does drive down the prices, as I was considering adding a few more points. We now go to Food and Wine for 6 nights and could use the extra points.
    I'm with you on that, we were thinking of adding on because my newfound love for VGF is making me burn through points. I was a bit shocked at how high the resale prices have gotten and many were stripped, maybe this will bring them down to where they should be (at least the older properties). Not so sure that will happen though.

I was wondering what the effect was for are those that are currently in ROFR but it appears they are grandfathering in anyone whose contract was sent to DVD prior to today.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    Those who now buy resale lose the discounts on dining, shopping, annual passes, and access to member-exclusive events.

They still have access to RCI.
    Maybe someone can verify, but I read that access to the Top of the World Lounge and pool hopping (though the list of pools available to all DVC members has become quite limited) is not included in the benefits which were removed.

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I'm with you on that, we were thinking of adding on because my newfound love for VGF is making me burn through points. I was a bit shocked at how high the resale prices have gotten and many were stripped, maybe this will bring them down to where they should be (at least the older properties). Not so sure that will happen though.

I was wondering what the effect was for are those that are currently in ROFR but it appears they are grandfathering in anyone whose contract was sent to DVD prior to today.
    Lynn, we want the additional points for VGF too! I was wondering about the people who are going through the process, especially our member WiltonJohn, who got through the ROFR about a week ago, but final paperwork is still being processed. Glad to hear they are being grandfathered!
    Christine ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't formally closed yet... but Disney has passed on the ROFR. Wonder how this affects us, with a transaction approved and in escrow and pending. Guess I have to contact the agent.

best,

................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    We haven't formally closed yet... but Disney has passed on the ROFR. Wonder how this affects us, with a transaction approved and in escrow and pending. Guess I have to contact the agent.

best,

................john
    We are hearing you should be okay, but let us know what your agent says. for you !
    Christine ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Maybe someone can verify, but I read that access to the Top of the World Lounge and pool hopping (though the list of pools available to all DVC members has become quite limited) is not included in the benefits which were removed.
    The way I'm reading it from the Member Benefits & More Page all benefits are removed from resale since the new exclusion is included at the bottom of the page.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

How is this all going to work if a member (like me!) has both DVC points through Disney and DVC points through resale. I can see how they can prevent me from using my resale market points when trying to make a Disney Collection reservation - they can see how many points I have that are "eligible" for such a reservation. But if I show my DVC member card when buying an annual pass at Guest Relations, or making a purchase at a souvenir store, there's no way they're going to know which points I'm using to stay on a particular trip. Actually, if I think it through, I don't even need to be staying in a DVC unit to get a DVC discount on souvenirs on a trip.

So I wonder if I'm reading this correctly - this might only impact people who buy resale-only points after today? Very strange.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    So I wonder if I'm reading this correctly - this might only impact people who buy resale-only points after today? Very strange.
    Correct
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Correct
    I have a tendency to over-think things sometimes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

I know at first I was thinking this was a bad thing for me. We were thinking of buying Vero points but since I already get pass holder and FL resident discounts, there isn't really any current DVC discounts I need, so it could lower prices and be good for me but I am sure my situation is a very small segment.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm in the minority here.

To me it's like buying a used car and wanting the milage turned back to 0, as well as getting all of the warranties and bells/whistles that come with a new purchase. If you want to buy used and benefit from the reduced price, you cannot have it both ways.

¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: