Quantcast Kona Cafe

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Kona Cafe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kona Cafe

Has anyone had breakfast at Kona Cafe within the past few days? I've heard a rumor that the Tonga Toast is "different" and not very good lately. I've heard they were very skimpy with the bananas and the bread was dry and they pretty much saturated the toast with the strawberry compote (maybe to moisten the bread?). We've got breakfast ressies there primarily to enjoy this breakfast favorite, although we also love the pineapple macadamia pancakes - but that's why we scheduled more than one breakfast there! Has anyone recently experienced this change of the Tonga Toast or heard these rumors?
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard this as well. I have never had Tonga Toast so I'm not sure what the new recipe entails. However, I tried to make it once with fresh sourdough bread and it was horrible. So greasy and just not good. I suspect that the "special bread" they were using had to be more cake like or donut like in order to survive being deep fried like that. I mean, sourdough bread is sourdough bread. A lateral replacement should not have affected the dish so much. I guess the story is the bread supplier and Disney are "no longer working together."
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how "recent" you are talking, but I enjoyed the Tonga Toast there 24 days ago, and it was excellent. And the strawberry compote was on the side, so I could determine how much to use.

If they have actually changed the Tonga Toast recipe, that would be a terrible decision. That's one of the long-time recognized items at the Poly - I remember enjoying it the first time at the old Tangaroa Terrace. I hope the rumors are NOT true.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    I'm not sure how "recent" you are talking, but I enjoyed the Tonga Toast there 24 days ago, and it was excellent. And the strawberry compote was on the side, so I could determine how much to use.

If they have actually changed the Tonga Toast recipe, that would be a terrible decision. That's one of the long-time recognized items at the Poly - I remember enjoying it the first time at the old Tangaroa Terrace. I hope the rumors are NOT true.....
    It is VERY recent, like in the past few days.

It's apparently not really a rumor. It has happened. There are photos to prove it.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    It is VERY recent, like in the past few days.

It's apparently not really a rumor. It has happened. There are photos to prove it.
    Well, part of me is very glad I got to enjoy it last month - perhaps one last time. But the rest of me is quite sad. Why in the world would they mess around with such a Disney and Poly classic like Tonga Toast? I sure hope this isn't yet another menu item getting totally messed up in the name of making me "healthier" at Disney. I cannot even begin to tell you how annoying that is to me.

Sure hope they fix this and get back to actual Tonga Toast......

Post Thanks / Like

Tonga Toast---- one of the best vacation memories!!!! Love that stuff!!! I wanted to let aka Disney Dreamer know that it is offered at Captain Cook's so you could skip one reservation and try it there -- if it's not as good, at least it would be less expensive!!!!
    1998 Caribbean Beach
    2002, 2003 Off Property
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 PO Riverside
    2009 :(
    2010, 2012, 2016 Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

My husband had it last month at Capt. cook's and thought it was skimpy...not bad by any means but not like before. We thought it was maybe because it wasn't prepared at Kona???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    Well, part of me is very glad I got to enjoy it last month - perhaps one last time. But the rest of me is quite sad. Why in the world would they mess around with such a Disney and Poly classic like Tonga Toast? I sure hope this isn't yet another menu item getting totally messed up in the name of making me "healthier" at Disney. I cannot even begin to tell you how annoying that is to me.

Sure hope they fix this and get back to actual Tonga Toast......
    Nope, none of that. The bread supplier was changed. The recipe has not changed but it will taste different because the bread from the new supplier is different and not as good. Not sure why the supplier changed but things happen during contract negotiations and not always about costs.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

They should get a deal with King's Hawaiian.... Imagine Tonga Toast with that sweet and super doughy bread!!!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

11. Thanks whitney37354 thanked for this post
    Likes Wayne, magicofdisney, whitney37354 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad to hear. I've only had Tonga Toast once and enjoyed it, but prefer to get their regular French Toast with sausage. It was so good! I wonder if the TT bread is different, the FT bread is also different....
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Changing the bread will definitely dramatically alter the taste. I hope this is rectified before we get there in 2017. Tonga Toast is a fav.

Post Thanks / Like

Had the tonga toast last week and it was okay. I have been looking forward to eating it for over a year and I can't really say it was as good as everyone made it, at least the older version, out to be. I had never had it before so I have nothing to compare it to. The price was not too bad though.
    Had previous account but can no longer access :(
    8 previous trips, including honeymoon.
    Two kids 5 & 7 years old.
    One of 'those' WDW fans.

Next: POFQ, our home! April 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's definitely a cost cut more so than just a change in supplier. The traditional Tonga Toast was made with sour dough bread where as the new recipe is a completely different bread. I've heard someone report it was sliced french bread. If it were just a change in supplier, why not continue to use sour dough from that supplier? Obviously loaves of french bread are cheap. Heck, if I go to the bakery section in Walmart, I can get a loaf of french bread for $1 whereas the sour dough is almost $4.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12