Quantcast Disney After Hours not selling well

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney After Hours not selling well

I just read that Disney after Hours is not selling well, and that Disney is now offering the tickets at $75 for DVC members and Annual Pass holders.

I also saw that on the first two nights were so undersold that Disney was giving tickets away to Resort Guest.

Hmmm... Who would have ever guessed that people would not be willing to pay more than a 1 day ticket, for less time in the park in the middle of the night?
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

2. Likes DisneyGiant, Daisy'sMom liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see that people don't always drink the Disney Kool Aid.

5. Likes waymickey, Daisy'sMom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually am surprised.
    While I would never buy this, I was sure that some people who didn't want to put in the extra effort to wake up early and were just willing to throw around money to get easy access to rides would buy into it. I thought there would be enough of those people for Disney to end up selling these pretty well.
    First trip: 1999 AS Movies
    Stayed since at: AS Music, AS Sports, Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans FQ
    Next visit: October 15-22, 2016 [Port Orleans French Quarter]

"In dreams you will lose your heartache.."

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to Universal tomorrow, wasn't even going to go to WDW, until I got LUCKY and saw this.

Of course it isn't selling! When did they announce it, March?! Who plans their trip 2 months out? The target audience becomes locals and those already staying on property.

I have seen some vlogs online and I LOVE this idea and I CAN'T WAIT for Thursday night. Now I have 2.5 days at Universal and for $150 I get to hit the MK from 7-10pm then get it all to myself from 10-1:00! YES!

Now, if I wasn't travelling alone; if I was with my family, no way. $150 per person on top of a Disney vacation?! Keep the kids up until 2:00+?! Yeah, right! Good luck making that rope drop or character breakfast the next morning you had to book 180+ days out!

Schedule this 9 months out, promote it properly and it sells out. It is a win/win IMHO: It happens after the park would have closed anyway. If you are arguing that from 7-10 the other guests will be put out by the extra guests, maybe, but barely. An extra 3,000 barely moves the needle at the MK. Plus they will almost definitely not be there for the rope drop that morning.

I haven't done a trip report for a few years, but I think I will for this. I just hope they keep it going.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

8. Likes VWL Mom, Lindsey, Hammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be looking forward to your trip report, we have tickets for May 19th. I agree with you, they announced the dates too close. I too think this would be great if marketed properly especially during the summer months. Enjoy!
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

10. Likes Lindsey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We just left Disney today after checking in on April 29th. Had that planned since February, just me and hubby. When I found out about After Hours in March, I checked our dates. April 28th was still available, but being DVC it would've been a hassle to try and get an extra night somewhere. Hubs doesn't like split stays. But had we known in advance of booking our room, we would've done it, and paid full price (and demanded a refund when they announced half price tix for AP and DVC, since we're both!)
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

150 bucks is too much. 75 and it becomes something I might think about. We talk about this on the next podcast BTW.

13. Likes cer, DisneyGiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    We talk about this on the next podcast BTW.
    Can't wait!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

"Disney After Hours"? I will submit that I am an unabashed "free market capitalist".......However, this latest money grab by Disney is absolutely shameful...it is simply beyond the pale! The WDW experience has been on a downward spiral for many years now (just considering the unaddressed maintenance issues) and they have the audacity to foist this fiasco off on the public? There is simply no value to be had anymore....enough said!

16. Likes Daisy'sMom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day, probably about 20 years ago, they had a similar promotion, but it was only $15 for an extra 2-3 hours in the park (1 day tickets were probably $50 back then). They promoted that only 10k tickets would be sold, so that the park would essentially be empty. That seemed like a nice deal, but the current pricing structure is outrageous.

I am glad that people are not buying it.
    First visit 1971
    Annual pass member
    Visit 2005
    May 2005 become DVC Member!!!
    Last visit 2006
    Last minute 2007 trip (for my 50th Bday)
    January 1, 2010 for 8 days
    January 2, 2012 for 7 days!!
    November, 2013, quick trip
    October 2014 1st time with future son-in-law

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at the calendar to see what days this "special" event is taking place. One is this Thursday the 12th and the next one is the 19th. I did notice that the third one they had schedule on a weekend at the end of May is no more! I hope that there will be reports from the media on how "well" it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    I just looked at the calendar to see what days this "special" event is taking place. One is this Thursday the 12th and the next one is the 19th. I did notice that the third one they had schedule on a weekend at the end of May is no more! I hope that there will be reports from the media on how "well" it goes.
    There never was an end of the month date
    Tickets go on sale April 6th for select dates in April and May only. Dates of the events are April 14th, 21st, 28th, and May 5th, 8th, 12th, & 19th. Tickets are $149 plus tax each for children or adults. At that price, we imagine space is very, very limited and lines should be almost non-existent.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

If they offer the $75 tickets to AP holders in October, we will probably do it. Otherwise, no thanks.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised Disney hasn't started charging a resort fee...that may be next.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

22. Likes Daisy'sMom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicster View Post
    I'm surprised Disney hasn't started charging a resort fee...that may be next.
    Apparently a survey went out asking that very question, if guest would be willing to pay it.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Apparently a survey went out asking that very question, if guest would be willing to pay it.
    I think these surveys aren't really to collect data and gauge willingness to pay for it. (After all, who is going to answer the survey with an excited, "Yeesss. I would love to pay a resort fee!") I think Disney uses it as part of their communication strategy. So now when they decide to initiate a resort fee, it will not be a shock as the trial balloon has already been floated.

25. Likes Daisy'sMom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have the ability to di up to 26 attractions with no wait. Even with double the attendance there will be little to no lines. If one's time is limited while in Orlando this is the way to go. The average number of attractions for a guest is 10 a day.

Post Thanks / Like

I respect all of your opinions. After all, everyone's entitled to an opinion. What I don't understand is that if people are willing to pay, why does anyone care? Is it the fear of missing out?

Why would anyone be glad that people aren't drinking the kool-aid or that people aren't buying it? Jealousy? If you don't like the value that you get from WDW, stop going.

WDW is a world class vacation destination. It is a company with stockholders. As much as we'd all like for it to be less expensive, no one is forcing you to go. Nor is Disney foisting a fiasco. That's laughable. Nice use of the word "foist" though.

17 - OS (DL)
    17 - Yacht
    17 - Sequoia (DLP)
    15, 16 - Poly
    14 - GC (DL)
    14 - Fantasy
    13 - Poly
    12 - Dream
    09 - Magic
    08 - Poly/Wonder
    07 - Magic
    06 - Poly/Wonder