Quantcast Favorite Character Meal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite Character Meal

We will be doing a lot of character meals in January as we have little ones with us this trip. Any recommendations?
    1981 - 2001
    1/02 - All Star Movie
    1/04 - POFQ
    1/06 - ASMov
    1/08 - ASMus
    5/09 - Contemporary
    5/11 - PC
    5/12 - ASM
    5/13 - Coronado Springs
    5/14 - Port Orleans Riverside
    6/5 - Shades of Green
    1/17 - A of A
    5/18 - POR
    9/19 - Caribbean
    11/19 - AKL
    4/21 - Pop Century
    12/21 - Polynesian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend doing a few of the meals that are family style since that will cut down on character misses and multiple trips to a buffet line with a toddler in tow. Seeking out meals with their favorite characters always ales for a better experience. Also the more you interact with the character the more the characters inyeract. They take their questions from the guests.

We really enjoy 'Ohana for this reason but Garden Grille is set up the same and is also now available for all 3 meals. 1900 Park Fare was a blast and the food was the most diverse. The biggest choices were available at Crystal Palace (all 3 meals there have many many options to please the pickiest eaters). Chef Mickey is way crazy & loud. Tusker House has been pretty consistent but not always timely and a little rushed. The best character interaction we have had was Cape May & Hollywood and Vine (breakfast). Our least favorite (gasp) was thebprincess bfast in Norway but it has been changed a few times since our meal there. We have been to them all; many multiple times so if you have specific questions let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Great info!
    1981 - 2001
    1/02 - All Star Movie
    1/04 - POFQ
    1/06 - ASMov
    1/08 - ASMus
    5/09 - Contemporary
    5/11 - PC
    5/12 - ASM
    5/13 - Coronado Springs
    5/14 - Port Orleans Riverside
    6/5 - Shades of Green
    1/17 - A of A
    5/18 - POR
    9/19 - Caribbean
    11/19 - AKL
    4/21 - Pop Century
    12/21 - Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

I second the suggestion of Garden Grill. The food is good, the character interaction is excellent, and it is served family-style, so no buffet trips, but still lots of choice.

It is much quieter than other character meals, and we have better character interaction than any other meal as well.

We also like Tusker House for breakfast, and if you're after princesses, Akershus in Norway is a much better choice than CRT.

Enjoy!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

It depends a bit on what you like to eat, how old the kids are, what characters you want and if you are on dining plan.

We never do the dining plan so we tend to stay away from dinners because they can get quite pricey. Dinner at Hollywood & Vine for my family of 4 (2 adults, 1 10 year and an 8 year old ) was about $180.

Food wise - Do you prefer a buffet or family style? Buffets give you more variety but you do have to get up which can cause you to miss a character. Family Style lets you stay in your seat but there is less variety. Both princess meals have you order from a menu though Akershus adds a small buffet with cheeses and assorted meets. Tusker House has a more interesting menu than the other buffets but some people do find the African themed food to be too exotic though it is one of our favorites.

Character wise- Certain characters can only be seen at certain meals. So if there is a special character that is a must do, you might want to do that meal.

Here is what you can generally expect but it can vary

1900 Park Fare- Breakfast - Alice, Mad Hatter, Pooh, Tiger
    1900 Park Fare- Dinner- Cinderella, Prince, Step Sisters, Lady Tremaine . **Step sisters are lots of fun **
    Ohana - Breakfast -Mickey, Pluto, Lilo, Stitch ** great character interaction Mickey waffles and yummy Hawaiian bread.
    Chef Mickey's Breakfast/Dinner- Mickey, Minnie, Pluto Goofy, Donald ** This meal can be very loud**
    Cape May breakfast - Minnie, Goofy, Donald- **nice atmosphere**
    Crystal Palace- Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, & Piglet
    Cinderella's Royal Table- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner- Princesses of course. Quite expensive
    Hollywood & Vine Breakfast/Lunch- Disney Jr- Sophia. Doc McStuffins, Handy Mandy, Jake
    H&V Dinner- Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy & Goofy. They change costume seasonally which is super cute
    Akershus -Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner- Princesses
    Garden Grill- B, L, D - Farmer Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale
    Tusker House - Safari Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Daisy

Our personal favorites are

Ohana . The character interaction is always great. The food is served family. The pineapple bread is delicious and my kids love the Mickey waffles. They also have a nice parade for the kids to join in.

Tusker House- The buffet has a lot more variety than the other buffets. If you make reservations toward the end of breakfast, you will get both breakfast and lunch foods.

The Garden Grill. This was our first character meal when my kids were toddlers and infants. This is usually a nice quite meal and because the restaurant is a circle, the character interaction feels very private

I also like Cape May. It is very pretty.
    I found the H&V dinner to be expensive but loved the different character costumes.
    My daughter loves the princesses at Akershus but it is not our favorite foods.
    Crystal Palace is very popular but we do not usually eat there because my kids are not interested in the Pooh characters.

I also loved meeting the Beast at Be Out Guest but it is not a traditional character meal since the Beast does not come around. He is available for photo ops at the end.

Hope this helps.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We are huge fans of the breakfast at Tusker House, both for the food (some variety from the standard breakfast buffet fare) and the characters (Goofy, Daisy, Donald and Mickey). We also went to the breakfast at Garden Grill (Chip, Dale, Pluto and Mickey) during our last trip and had some of our best character meal interactions ever. Chip and Dale were hysterical, playing with our two year old son, trying to feed him, making a paper airplane out of a napkin and tossing it at me, etc. The food was served family style, but was all you care to eat and well made. I would definitely suggest either of these being good choices. Depending on how little the little ones are, we also enjoyed our breakfast at Hollywood and Vine on our last trip, with the Disney Junior characters. The buffet was pretty good, and the entertainment of the music and singing and dancing was thrilling for our son.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling there will be a wide variety of responses, but our favorite is the character breakfast at the Beach Club. It seems a little smaller, and we've had lots of interaction with the characters there.

Post Thanks / Like

We too love the character buffet breakfast at Cape May/Beach Club. We went this most recent trip with my high school graduate whose first character breakfast was there when he was 4.

I would second what is said above - review the options for character meals and choose from those that have the characters your child(ren)/you really want to see.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidmarian View Post
    We too love the character buffet breakfast at Cape May/Beach Club. We went this most recent trip with my high school graduate whose first character breakfast was there when he was 4.

I would second what is said above - review the options for character meals and choose from those that have the characters your child(ren)/you really want to see.
    However, as they say, please try to be sure the kids and you understand that the list of characters may change, although in the about 25 character meals we've attended over the years, there's only been a change once. One time at Cape May, Goofy was absent, but Stitch was there instead. We were teasing that that ole rascal Stitch must have tied up Goofy so he could come over himself!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: