Quantcast Has the DVC Resale Market Changed?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Has the DVC Resale Market Changed?

We are beginning the process of purchasing another resale contract, our last purchase was the fall of 2015 when it was more of a "sellers" market. I have noticed an obvious huge increase in the number of contacts on the resale market, some have been listed for several months with no apparent offers. It it just the elevated prices that have slowed the resale market down or something else? Anyone have any insight or thoughts on this? I'm kind of hesitant going forward with another purchase right now.
    Keep on Swimming Swimming Swimming

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a combination of insanely high prices and stripped contracts. I've been looking around too and some of the prices are just ridiculous. The other thing I'm noticing is they're asking for dues at closing on points you aren't getting and some of the brokers have jacked up the closing fees.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

We are looking to add on in the near future as well. We fully expected the prices to drop with the new policies but it really hasn't moved. We bought resale back in 2008 at the BWV and it cost under $85 per point, today they are asking over $100!! We are beginning to wonder if it is even worth it to add on with these crazy prices.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

5. Likes Genie1953 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's weird... Snce you're just paying for accommodations, I would have guaranteed that the resale market would have popped. It might be that Disney's prices are just out of control. I laugh when I get the ads, add on now and save. When I look at the cost per point, it gives me a deep belly laugh. They really are crazy!

With all the changes, I just don't see DVC (at current prices) being all that attractive. We use ours for visiting relatives around our cruises, going to start trading out for other vacations I think. Worse comes to worse, we may start renting points to pay for other vacations. That might be the best value in the program these days.

7. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What I'm finding out so far after speaking with several realtors that handle DVC resales is that although contracts are posted at higher prices, many of the sellers are willing to negotiate, but now my concern is if the price is not high enough it will be ROFR'd. Not sure what I'm going to do now
    Keep on Swimming Swimming Swimming

9. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DVC is just like buying a house. You make and offer, they either accept or not. What you're talking about is ROFR which is nothing to worry about.

Say you offer $3000. They accept, Disney just has the right to buy that contract at $3000. If they do, you just move onto another contract, if they don't, then you buy it for that price.

The contract gets 'sold' either way, owner is just either you or them. There's no harm outside of the delay in you potentially owning DVC in losing a contract to ROFR.

There will be more contracts to buy, people are looking to get rid of them all the time

Post Thanks / Like

We've only been with DVC since 2014, but my frustration has been that it never seems to be an easy booking. Granted, we've not yet tried to to book at our home resorts with the 11 month window but we bought in thinking it would be great to continue to try new resorts. We've gotten lucky with wait lists, but certainly it's preferable to have everything locked and loaded.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree! Trying to book anything at seven months is impossible! I've tried for months to get BW in October and although I did just get a wait list request.....I couldn't get ANYWHERE except SS which we really didn't want....tried for December 4-8 on exactly the seven month window and finally got OKW from the 5-7! Really annoying!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are definitely certain locations and certain times of the year that it'll be very difficult to book DVC rooms outside of your home resort (at the 7-month mark). BW in October would certainly be one of those times with the popularity of events that time of year - like F&W and Halloween. We always book a stay at our home resort, and then try to change at 7 months. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. But at least we have a reservation! There's never a problem making a reservation at the home resort 8-11 months out.

I'm not sure, but I don't think I see the Resale market slowing anytime soon. With the costs being 30%-40% cheaper than buying directly from Disney, and with DVC resorts being very popular, it's about supply and demand. We've bought from Disney and we've bought resale in the past. I wouldn't hesitate to buy resale again, even with prices going up slightly.

Post Thanks / Like

You should pay careful attention to the changes Disney just rolled out to resale contracts. You lose ALL the perks of the points. Literally the only thing they're good for is rooms at Disney resorts. You can't trade them out, you get no merchandise discount, no AP discount, no food discount .... nada.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

15. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You can't trade them out, ..............
    Can you clarify what you mean here?

best,

................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has the DVC Resale Market Changed?

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean here?

best,

................john
    The changes made to resale contracts in 2011, I believe, disallowed using DVC points for Disney cruises and regular Disney hotel rooms (which I think is called the Disney Collection.) I purchased resale last year, and the only 'trading out' allowed is RCI.

With the new changes, DVC points bought via resale are good only for DVC resort rooms. Those who have previously bought resale are grandfathered in to whatever was available to them when they purchased.

18. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    The changes made to resale contracts in 2011, I believe, disallowed using DVC points for Disney cruises and regular Disney hotel rooms (which I think is called the Disney Collection.) I purchased resale last year, and the only 'trading out' allowed is RCI.

With the new changes, DVC points bought via resale are good only for DVC resort rooms. Those who have previously bought resale are grandfathered in to whatever was available to them when they purchased.
    Thanks. THAT I knew. The way the previous comment was phrased, it seemed (to me) to imply that you could no longer RENT or TRANSFER points anymore. (My interpretation of the word "trade".) And from reading the DVC stuff I have, I knew that was not the case (at least I thought so). So was worried I was missing something.

All of the "extras" can change/disappear at any time. That is a 'fact of life'. I don't really expect them to remain constant for anyone. For me buying a DVC membership was about visiting Disney. Not really interested in the "other stuff" much, if at all. The purchase discounts are nice.... but I expect they will go bye-bye soon.

We now hold a re-sale and a small direct purchase. The resale JUST made it in under the wire on the last rules change. We might do another small re-sale purchase in the next couple of years if the points we have turn out not to work as we plan. We'll see.

Thanks for the clarification.

best,

...................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    Disneyland - 1972

20. Likes Melanie, CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the fewest points that Disney let's you buy direct? We bought resale first back in 2014 then added more (50 points) direct from Disney in 2015. If you buy even a few points direct from Disney then it would negate all the cuts in buying from the second hand market, right?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's about 100 which makes it a $17k in to get benefits that come and go like the wind...

I've never seen Disney turn down money though, I bet you can buy a significantly lower amount directly taking to a guide.

100 is a tough number, it's barely enough to do anything of value. A few days a year is about all that would get you. I don't think you can get a full week anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought resale at the end of 2014. I haven't had any problem booking at the 7 month mark or less, though I've only done it twice now. I booked a 1 BR Savannah view at AKL Kidani three months before the stay, and I recently booked a few days at a Poly studio only about two months before departure. I booked a BLT two bedroom at the 11 month mark, so that went well, too, but I expected that. Where are people having problems booking, and is it the size of accommodations that makes a difference, or the time of year, maybe?

As far as the market slowing, I think the recent loss of membership perks could have some affect. I've read about people being afraid to buy resale because they don't even get a membership card anymore? It wasn't the case when I bought in, though I knew I had some fewer perks that people who bought in earlier had. The increasing reduction of perks seems to have an affect, though.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

24. Likes savafan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We tried to get a savannah view studio for 6 nights at AKL via one of the points renting places (before we bought our DVC this spring) at just before and thru the 11 month mark for just about ANYTIME (consecutive 6 nights) in October... and they were all gone. Been looking on the member site since we bought........ and still nothing available. October is totally full up except for a couple of single days (last I looked).

A year ago... we booked at the 7 month point for the SUMMER..... and got over a week then no problem.

Not sure what is going on.

best,

...............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    What's the fewest points that Disney let's you buy direct? We bought resale first back in 2014 then added more (50 points) direct from Disney in 2015. If you buy even a few points direct from Disney then it would negate all the cuts in buying from the second hand market, right?
    If you already own.... it is 25 points.

best,

..............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    Disneyland - 1972

27. Thanks baldburke thanked for this post
    Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We tried to get a savannah view studio for 6 nights at AKL via one of the points renting places (before we bought our DVC this spring) at just before and thru the 11 month mark for just about ANYTIME (consecutive 6 nights) in October... and they were all gone. Been looking on the member site since we bought........ and still nothing available. October is totally full up except for a couple of single days (last I looked).

A year ago... we booked at the 7 month point for the SUMMER..... and got over a week then no problem.

Not sure what is going on.

best,

...............john
    From what I'm learning on various DVC pages, Food & Wine is the most popular time for DVCers to go to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

If you already own.... it is 25 points.

best,

..............john
    So if you originally bought resale then an additional buy-in of $4k to $5k (depended on current rates and possible financing) could get you all the rights and privileges of a full direct owner. I realize it may be easier said than done in some cases, but perhaps worth considering if you want to buy mostly resale.
    Beth & David

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: