Quantcast Mary Poppins Returns casting news!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mary Poppins Returns casting news!

As a fan of all things Emily Blunt AND Lin-Manuel Miranda, I am excited for this casting... for the actual film, not so much!

Broadway.com: http://www.broadway.com/buzz/185020/...ppins-returns/

This news is practically perfect! Hamilton’s creator and headliner Lin-Manuel Miranda will officially team up with Into the Woods star Emily Blunt for Mary Poppins Returns. The sequel to Disney’s 1964 classic Mary Poppins is scheduled for release on December 25, 2018.

The film will be helmed by Into the Woods director Rob Marshall, with the screenplay penned by David Magee based on The Mary Poppins Stories by P.L. Travers. Shaiman is set to compose an all-new score; he will write original songs alongside Scott Wittman.

Blunt has been cast as Mary Poppins and Miranda will play a new character, a street lamplighter named Jack. Drawing from the wealth of material in P.L. Travers’ seven additional novels, the story will take place in Depression-era London (when the books were originally written) and follows a now-grown Jane and Michael Banks, who, along with Michael’s three children, are visited by the enigmatic Mary Poppins following a personal loss. Through her unique magical skills, and with the aid of her friend Jack, she helps the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives.

Travers introduced the world to the no-nonsense nanny in her 1934 book Mary Poppins, which Disney adapted for the screen and released in August, 1964, starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. The film won five Academy Awards, including Best Actress for Andrews.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

More details have been revealed for the forthcoming Mary Poppins Returns:

Quote Originally Posted by E!

Mary Poppins Returns Plot Details Revealed

by Zach Johnson
    E! News
    February 10, 2017

At last, Walt Disney Studios has revealed what fans can expect from Mary Poppins Returns. Production has commenced at Shepperton Studios in Surrey, England, the studio announced Friday. The film—scheduled for release December 25, 2018—stars Emily Blunt in the title role.

Directed by Rob Marshall, Marry Poppins Returns features an all-star cast that includes Colin Firth, Lin Manuel-Miranda, Emily Mortimer, Meryl Streep, Julie Walters and Ben Whishaw. Additionally, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh star as three new Banks children. Best of all, Dick Van Dyke—who played Bert in 1964's Mary Poppins—stars as Mr. Dawes Jr., the chairman of Fidelity Fiduciary Bank, which is now run by William Weatherall Wilkins (Firth).

Mary Poppins Returns—a sequel to the Oscar-winning classic starring Julie Andrews—is set in 1930s depression-era London. In a press release, the studio shared key details for the first time.

"Michael (Whishaw) and Jane (Mortimer) are now grown up, with Michael, his three children and their housekeeper, Ellen (Walters), living on Cherry Tree Lane," Walt Disney Studios said. "After Michael suffers a personal loss, the enigmatic nanny Mary Poppins re-enters the lives of the Banks family, and, along with the optimistic street lamplighter Jack (Miranda), uses her unique magical skills to help the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives."

Along the way, Blunt's character will also introduce the Banks children "to a new assortment of colorful and whimsical characters, including her eccentric cousin, Topsy (Streep)."

John DeLuca, Marshall and Marc Platt are producing Mary Poppins Returns. David Magee wrote the screenplay, based on The Mary Poppins Stories by author PL Travers. Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman created brand new songs, while Shaiman also composed an original score.

For Blunt, playing the iconic character is a "dream" come true. "She's such an iconic nostalgic figure for people. It's a gift to give to my kids that I get to be this generation's Mary Poppins."

"I'm learning the songs," Blunt told E! News' Marc Malkin in October. "We did an incredible workshop of the script a few weeks back. It's so heart racing, so exciting. It's a complete different re-imagining of the whole thing. And I'm scared and thrilled to be in it and it's cool."

Miranda is similarly ecstatic about continuing Mary Poppins' story. "It's incredible so I'm proud to be a part of it," the Tony winner told E! News last summer. "And could you imagine a better Mary Poppins than Emily Blunt? Are you kidding me? I'm just so thrilled to be in that room."
    Quote Originally Posted by Screen Rant

Mary Poppins 2 Begins Filming; Full Cast Announced

By Mike Jones
    Screen Rant
    February 10, 2017

Mary Poppins 2 Begins Filming; Full Cast Announced

When Disney first released their adaptation of PL Travers’ novel Mary Poppins in 1964, few could have predicted the success it would find. Aside from being nominated for a total of 13 Academy Awards and winning 5, the film created a character so iconic that today, some 53 years on, even the sight of the Mary Poppins silhouette is instantly associated with Disney.

Considering that so many one time big hits are frequently remade, rebooted or expanded into successful franchises, Disney’s recent decision to bring Mary Poppins back for a new generation is anything but unexpected. To date we’ve had bits and pieces of the plot explained as well as an ongoing list of the star studded cast. Titled Mary Poppins Returns, the new film will not be a remake of the original, but a sequel to the 1964 box office smash.

Now thanks to a press release from Walt Disney Studios, we’ve been provided with the most amount of information on the upcoming sequel to date. Aside from officially commencing production at Shepperton Studios in London, the full cast has also been revealed. Emily Blunt (The Girl on the Train) will star as Mary Poppins, alongside Lin-Manuel Miranda (Moana), Ben Whishaw (Spectre), Emily Mortimer (Hugo), Julie Walters (Harry Potter series), Colin Firth (Kingsman: The Secret Service), Meryl Streep (Florence Foster Jenkins), Dick Van Dyke (star of the original Mary Poppins), Pixie Davies (Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children), Nathanael Saleh (Game of Thrones) and newcomer Joel Dawson.

In addition to its impressive cast, Mary Poppins Returns will be directed by Oscar-nominated helmsman Rob Marshall (Chicago) with a screenplay by two-time Oscar nominee David Magee (Life of Pi, Finding Neverland). While the original Mary Poppins focused on PL Travers’ book of the same name, Mary Poppins Returns contains elements from all 7 Mary Poppins books written by Travers between 1935 and 1988. The story is set in 1930s London and sees Michael (Whishaw) and Jane (Mortimer) as adults with families of their own. When Michael suffers a personal tragedy, Mary Poppins (Blunt) returns to raise spirits and lend a helping hand. Poppins’ return also introduces street lamplighter Jack (Miranda) as well as her cousin, Topsy (Streep).

Initially, the idea of a new Mary Poppins film seemed to be dismissed by many as a “why bother” sort of effort. Could any new Mary Poppins film match the whimsy and charm of the original? What’s more, Mary Poppins has 5 Oscars to its name – a feat that will require no small amount of effort and luck to out do. But as filming begins and we continue to gain a clearer understanding of exactly what this sequel will be, it’s starting to look increasingly like something that could perform well with audiences and critics alike.

Sure, there’s no guarantee that Mary Poppins Returns will secure itself a special spot in Disney’s already impressive cannon of films, but if it does perform well, there’s every reason to believe that this is only the beginning. As previously stated, PL Travers authored 7 Poppins books in her career, meaning that there’s still plenty more subject matter for a franchise to capitalize on if need be.

Mary Poppins Returns will be released in U.S. theaters on December 25, 2018.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Still in the "why bother" camp, personally.

If Disney had wanted to continue the story, it would have been nice to have done it with a mostly original cast several years after the original to keep a continuous aesthetic. I've never really cared for films where major characters or a majority of the cast change over the course of a "franchise".

I can appreciate that a good (or great) actor could make a nearly seamless transition to carry on a character in an emotional and performance manner; but to me, a film is a highly visual piece of art and another actor playing the same character disrupts and diminishes the aesthetic of that art.

I loved Saving Mr. Banks and put it in my top 5 favorite films along with Mary Poppins. To me, that was the best way to add another dimension to the story and thereby continue the story itself.

While I agree that there could be more great story to tell, I think that umbrella has sailed.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: