Quantcast Child missing following alligator attack - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My heart breaks for this family. I only hope that somehow someday they can move beyond this tragedy. I cannot imagine what the parents & fellow siblings are experiencing. I hope that the prayers from everyone give them some comfort.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    As of this morning they still haven't recovered the child's body. I would imagine all of the water taxis / ferry boats are being kept at dock at this point? You can't risk a boat full of guests seeing a child's body.

Something like this has to be a 100 million to 1 type of tragedy, but I would imagine there will be changes. Either fences put up on the beach around the lake or the 'beach' permanently covered in large rocks to keep people from going near the water.
    I believe the rocks would actually give host to more dangerous situations as snakes love to hide & sunbathe on them as well as gators. Let's face facts...kids & adults always climb on rocks etc even when signs state not to. I'm thinking something will be done but not sure what exactly. Perhaps more clear signage or more lights that could be dimmed for the fireworks/electrical water pageant.

4. Likes MNNHFLTX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    CHILD WAS IN ANKLE DEEP WATER

As a home owner & if you own a dog, you are to have a sign that says: WARNING BEWARE OF DOG" and that is for the occasional visitor. Disney has millions of visitors and only has sign saying "NO SWIMMING". I would say Disney should have had signs saying " WARNING ALLIGATORS NO SWIMMING" ... When we have shark sightings here on the Cape they put up signs with in an hour "Beach closed Shark sightings" ...... Disney is screwed
    I have been racking my brain trying to remember the exact signage, and I was thinking that it was simply "No Swimming". If that is the case, then the signage really should be more explicit to KEEP OUT OF THE WATER, GATORS AND BRAIN-EATING AMOEBA IN WATER, DO NOT TOUCH WATER AND KEEP 10 FEET AWAY FROM WATER'S EDGE AT ALL TIMES (and posted in multiple languages).

But Disney bends over backwards to not be very aggressive with people, especially with signage, and now with 20/20 hindsight such direct signage may well have prevented this tragedy. While some people will break the rules no matter what, I am sure it is possible that Nebraskans don't realize the hidden dangers of Florida swamp water.

There is no doubt Disney will be sued, and they will settle quickly, it's just the way it is. I just hope the result is better signage and not an over-the-top reaction such as closed beaches or 10' gates around all bodies of water.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

As of right now the beaches are closed you can not go on the sand at all. All weddings that were to be on the beach will be moved to other venues. No boat rentals, no boat service to the parks. I know Disney is taking this very very seriously. CMs are being told if they see anyone on the sand or near the water they will be told to leave Disney property. No excuses no leeway.

I think there will be fences or walls built around the water in Disney after this. Something that will keep all visitors away from the water unless on a watercraft. I am sure it will look nice and go with the themeing and it will make it safer for all involved.

I feel so bad for all involved and I am sure they never in their wildest thoughts could think this would happen. Most people let their guard down when visiting the Happiest place on Earth.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Do you have any idea how strong alligators can be, or how fast they can move? Especially one who has just attacked? There is no getting the child back from a gator who has its jaws clenched at 1000psi. Plus, it was pitch dark...what could have realistically been done?
    Yes I do. Worked at an adventure ranch around Fort Myers for a few summers growing up. Not saying you'd get the kid out of the jaws but an adult man should be able pick up a 4-5 gator in shallow water rather easily. Bigger would be tough. And with a couple people helping... Must have got to deep water pretty fast is what I am saying. No way pitch dark at 9:15pm on June 14. Nautical twilight was 9:24pm. And they have lights around the beach area.

My biggest amazement is that no one was around to help the father. Witnesses must have been pretty far away.

Tragic. I'm not blaming the parents at all. I just can't get my head around the whole thing.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    CHILD WAS IN ANKLE DEEP WATER

As a home owner & if you own a dog, you are to have a sign that says: WARNING BEWARE OF DOG" and that is for the occasional visitor. Disney has millions of visitors and only has sign saying "NO SWIMMING". I would say Disney should have had signs saying " WARNING ALLIGATORS NO SWIMMING" ... When we have shark sightings here on the Cape they put up signs with in an hour "Beach closed Shark sightings" ...... Disney is screwed
    As someone who knows the Cape very well, I agree. People take beach closings because of shark sightings very seriously. I think warnings specifically addressing the fact that alligators are a real threat in Disney waterways and lagoons are a must. That said, it's a terrible tragedy. I'm sure that an alligator attack was the last thing on those parents' minds. My heart goes out the family.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    As of right now the beaches are closed you can not go on the sand at all. All weddings that were to be on the beach will be moved to other venues. No boat rentals, no boat service to the parks. I know Disney is taking this very very seriously. CMs are being told if they see anyone on the sand or near the water they will be told to leave Disney property. No excuses no leeway.

I think there will be fences or walls built around the water in Disney after this. Something that will keep all visitors away from the water unless on a watercraft. I am sure it will look nice and go with the themeing and it will make it safer for all involved.

I feel so bad for all involved and I am sure they never in their wildest thoughts could think this would happen. Most people let their guard down when visiting the Happiest place on Earth.
    I really hope they don't build fences. That would be a huge overreaction. WDW has been open for almost 50 years and nothing like this has ever happened before. Building fences would be an impractical solution due to the instability of the land at the edge of lakes, plus it would completely look out of place and, IMO, ridiculous. Plus, you know people will just hop the fence anyway.

I think a practical solution would be more blatant, graphic signs warning of alligators in the water. And perhaps find alternate venues for the nightly movies, rather than having them ON the beaches.

And maybe closing off the beaches between dusk and dawn would be a good idea.

You cannot protect the public from every possible risk. But people can be better informed of the dangers of Florida wildlife on Disney property, I agree. They don't do a whole lot to inform guests of the risks of gators and snakes, which are both in abundance on property.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

10. Likes Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I think the media coverage of this incident will do more to keep people away from the water at WDW than anything else they might do. Hopefully, nothing like this will ever happen again because now, the risk is well known. This is a HUGE news story...and I'm sure it is getting international attention.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

12. Likes TikiLounger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very, very true. The whole world knows, now.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

This has been a very hard few days to live here in central Florida. I am heartbroken for all who have lost their lives around the City Beautiful. I will not offer an observation on the circumstances surrounding all three tragedies or the right or wrong of said circumstances, there are more than enough people doing that. My wish is for an open out pouring of love and support for everyone, the victims, their families and friends. The parents of this sweet baby are going through such grief it is unimaginable. Florida is awash it tears, that's how it feels as outside my door, it is raining. I am so sad...
    ºoº figgie ºoº - Now living our dreams in sunny Florida close to the mouse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    Some will blame Disney for this tragedy. But consider that WDW is located in or near to a vast area of still undeveloped land containing numerous ponds, estuaries and marshes. Disney does a good job in removing and guarding against harmful critters, but it would be an impossible task to keep all of the native creatures out of developed areas. I have personally seen alligators and water moccasins INSIDE the public areas of the Disney parks.
    May I ask what the protocol is when an alligator or water moccasin is spotted inside the parks in the public areas?
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    That is terrible. It makes you wonder though, who in their right mind lets children play in water in Florida or anywhere in the South for that matter at night? However, the Grand Floridian has what is presented as a "Beach". When people think Beach, they think salt water ocean which does not typically have alligators attacking people. I guess they must just not have thought much of it and felt safe.
    Absolutely this. While I would never in a million years let my child wade in the water there, I can understand how easy it would be for a parent to mindlessly let their child at least near it as they are in an environment that allows it to appear like a beach that is not so dangerous. I don't believe that Disney should bear the brunt of the blame because I do not feel like it is productive to just start pointing fingers but it does surprise me that there aren't more clues to how dangerous it could be. There are people there from all over the world, not just Florida. I live in Ohio and I am only mildly aware of just how intimate the alligators can be down there. I can imagine someone not being so aware of the danger. I think fencing and making the beach seem a little less beachy is the next and for good reason measure. "no swimming" doesn't really mean "there could be alligators on this shore that might attack". This was a 1 in 2.4 million chance, but its still a chance. And who's to say that alligators aren't getting more comfortable with coming to shores, their food supplies have changed, they're more aggressive etc etc. My stomach and heart will have a huge pit in it for a long, long time.
    Had previous account but can no longer access :(
    8 previous trips, including honeymoon.
    Two kids 5 & 7 years old.
    One of 'those' WDW fans.

Next: POFQ, our home! April 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Such a sad tragedy. My heart and prayers go out to the family.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Tragic. My prayers go out to the family. My heart breaks for them. The whole scene was one horrific nightmare that they may never recover from.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting to watch the news conference. They have recovered the child. I can't fathom loosing a child in such a way and my heart goes out to the family. I was just on the phone with a cast member and was told that both the father and the child were in the water. I know they have signs that indicate no swimming but I'm sure that in the future, those signs will be changed to indicate why....at least I hope they will. Some may think just putting your feet in the water isn't the same as swimming. This is so tragic.

20. Thanks mandaep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So sad.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

22. Thanks deedee73 thanked for this post
    Likes Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So,so sad.Prayers to this family.
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely heartbreaking. When I think of the horror and pain this family must be experiencing, I feel like I can't breathe.

Agree that it was simply a horrible accident. Trying to assign blame is pointless.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Such a terrible accident. I agree though - Florida has gators. Florida wants Disney to maintain natural habitat so these things will happen when we encroach.

Still heartbreaking.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

As was already stated by another poster this was a very rare of an alligator coming and grabbing the child. I believe that fences would destroy the feel of Disney and that perhaps security in addition to better signage would be better. Closing off the beach is not practical either since so any watch the Electrical Water Pageant & Wishes from them. I think a Boardwalk idea with roping would look nice bit possibly give the gators & snakes more places to hide that could then create additional problems.

I honestly believe that Disney does a great job of watching and removing large & aggressive alligators. Otherwise this wouldn't be the first we are really talking about an alligator incident at Disney. Also I would say st guests have never seen a gator on Disney property mostly because Disney does such a great job removing them. I truly hope that Disney does not have to drastically change how things are done - the MK & therefore Seven Seas lagoon has been around for nearly 50 years - and no incidents like this have ever been reported. It was merely a tragic & unfortunate accident. I pray that the family finds some closure in the foreseeable future.

27. Likes EeyoresBestFriend liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: