Quantcast 'Finding Dory' Blows Animation Record Out of the Water

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Finding Dory' Blows Animation Record Out of the Water

Pun intended of course...

From nbcnews.com

LOS ANGELES — The forgetful blue fish of "Finding Dory" is box office gold. The Pixar sequel far-surpassed its already Ocean-sized expectations to take in $136.2 million in North American theaters, making it the highest-grossing animated debut of all time, according to comScore estimates Sunday. The 2007 film "Shrek the Third" was the previous record-holder with a $121.6 million debut.

"Finding Dory," which comes 13 years after "Finding Nemo" hit theaters, is also now the second-largest June opening of all time behind "Jurassic World." The well-reviewed film features the voices of Ellen DeGeneres and Albert Brooks and played particularly well with audiences, who gave the film an A CinemaScore — Pixar's 17th film in a row to receive the impressive grade.

Going into the weekend, analysts expected "Finding Dory" to do big, $100 million plus business, but never this much.

"The thought was 'could this be the movie to eclipse "Toy Story 3's" opening,' not, 'could it become the biggest animated opening of all time,'" said Paul Dergarabedian, comScore's senior media analyst. "That's the power of the Pixar brand."

"Toy Story 3" was the biggest Pixar opening ever until now with $110.3 million.

Disney's Executive Vice President of Distribution Dave Hollis was particularly heartened that the film did such robust late night business on both Friday and Saturday.

"That's really a testament to this being a picture for everyone — not just for families," Hollis said.

"Finding Dory" has the animated seas to itself until "The Secret Life of Pets" opens July 8.

The Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson buddy comedy "Central Intelligence" also had a relatively muscular weekend, with a better-than-expected $34.5 million, putting it in second place.

"It's a real home run," said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros.' executive vice president of domestic distribution. "These two comedians are just stars. They connect with their audience and each other in such a strong way. You just laugh when you watch them."

"Central Intelligence" cost a reported $50 million to make and scored especially well with younger audiences, who the studio hopes will propel the word of mouth in weeks to come. The next major comedy releases don't come until mid-July with "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates" and "Ghostbusters."

In third place, the James Wan horror pic "The Conjuring 2" fell 62 percent in its second weekend in theaters, earning $15.6 million and bringing its domestic total to $71.7 million.

Rounding out the top five were "Now You See Me 2," with $9.7 million and "Warcraft," with $6.5 million, both of which opened last weekend.

Overall, the weekend is down nearly 5 percent from last year, when "Inside Out" launched with $90.4 million and "Jurassic World" earned $106.6 million in its second weekend in theaters.

Still, Dergarabedian notes that the comparatively big audiences this weekend are good for the business in the long run since they'll be exposed to trailers for upcoming summer films. The success of "Finding Dory" and "Central Intelligence" also comes at a critical moment after a few weekends of underwhelming sequels and all out flops.

"A movie like 'Dory' can reinvigorate a marketplace that has been in the doldrums for the last few weeks," he said. "It helps everyone."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to comScore. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.

We'll be seeing it on the cruise is a few weeks...

2. Likes baldburke liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For Father's day I just told the wife, lets just take the kids to see Finding Dory. Enjoyed the movie very much.

Not a spoiler, but I always do this anyway, regardless of the film, but stay thru all of the movie credits for a little extra at the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has already won the 2016 box office battle! Game over!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Great movie! As a mother of special needs kids, I found it very poignant. I teared up a few times. I liked this one better than Finding Nemo...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

7. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Great movie! As a mother of special needs kids, I found it very poignant.
    Same here! I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting going in and also think I liked it more than Nemo.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

9. Thanks BrerGnat thanked for this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: