Quantcast New Frozen ride - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Frozen ride

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Donald. I'm fine with characters invading the World Showcase, as long as it fits. I understand the waits stink, but Frozen is a good fit for Norway.

2. Likes Terra liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

So...I could stand in line and watch the movie two and three quarter times before a three and a half minute ride........
    I will mostly miss the troll who said "Disappear! Disappear!" that guy always cracked me up....
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't the country pavillions in Epcot designed and built by the boards of travel and tourism from their respective countries? I didn't think WDW could unilaterally change the type of attraction(s) featured. Unless I am mistaken with that understanding, it seems like Norway must have believed that a Frozen ride was very good for it's tourism industry.

I'll probably never get over the loss of "NorVEY....." and we always watched the movie even when everyone else just walked through.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidmarian View Post
    Aren't the country pavillions in Epcot designed and built by the boards of travel and tourism from their respective countries? I didn't think WDW could unilaterally change the type of attraction(s) featured. Unless I am mistaken with that understanding, it seems like Norway must have believed that a Frozen ride was very good for it's tourism industry.

I'll probably never get over the loss of "NorVEY....." and we always watched the movie even when everyone else just walked through.
    Norway doesn't really have any stake in the pavilion anymore, from what I recall reading.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

No countries' governments ever had anything to do with the World Showcase (at least until Morocco came along). Disney wanted them to, but they couldn't interest any governments in participating. Norway was originally sponsored by Norwegian companies- not their government.

8. Likes Terra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The idea of a Frozen ride is great and all but why does Disney assume that we wouldn't rather see a ride that is tied to the culture of the country. That's the whole point of world showcase. We actually want those things.

Post Thanks / Like

We also ALWAYS watched the movie. "Norway, it's spirit is in its people. 😢

Post Thanks / Like

I was always a big fan of Maelstrom and have yet to see the Frozen ride ( I do have a FP+ for August 15) . I have always been a big Viking fan and loved the concept behind Maelstrom and the small building in the front of the pavilion.
    I liked the trolls and also liked the Oil Rig section. BUT the ride did need some upgrades, it was not up to the standard of other Disney rides and I know if I could have re-imagineered it there were a dozen things I would have enhanced.
    My assumption always was that there was a decision to either fix it up or else add something new ( Frozen) and the Frozen frenzy probably made it an easier decision to make. There was no real big opportunity for any merchandising and it was not a ride that took any crowds away from Soarin or test track.
    I never based any part of my day around " Hey we need to make a bee-line for Maelstrom." It was a nice ride, pretty unique but it wasn't really even marketed ( I do think there is a pin). When I figured out my Epcot must-do's I think it ranked just below trying Beverley.
    I would rather they fix up Figment, upgrade Ellen's adventure, find a way to bring Sum of all Thrills back and add a few more countries.( or bring back Horizons), get the Piggy game and the Burning house activites from Innoventions back. Epcot does need some TLC I think we can all agree.

Yes, I will definitely miss Maelstrom, but I also wish that they had used Frozen as a way to educate the populace on Norwegian culture ( the best of both worlds) maybe even have Anna and Elsa battle Ragnar Lothbrook It will now only be in our memories. 20 years from now our children will be complaining when they refurbish the Frozen ride with something new. There isn't much we can do.

In retrospective, I will miss Off-Kilter more than Maelstrom, but I am sure after I see the Frozen ride my scale may change . Hopefully I get a positive experience.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    BUT the ride did need some upgrades, it was not up to the standard of other Disney rides and I know if I could have re-imagineered it there were a dozen things I would have enhanced. My assumption always was that there was a decision to either fix it up or else add something new ( Frozen) and the Frozen frenzy probably made it an easier decision to make. There was no real big opportunity for any merchandising and it was not a ride that took any crowds away from Soarin or test track.
    There was a plan, a great grand plan, to fix Maelstrom... Disney wasn't kidding anyone by trying to portray Maelstrom as some top of the line E ticket anymore... They knew it needed help, and Imagineering came up with a great plan for the ride... Sadly, another Imagineer, who is obviously smart enough to read the tea leaves and know how today's WDW management (and Disney management as a whole) works, came up with a plan to shove Frozen into a spot it doesn't belong, so they could make even more money off merchandise, and potentially save his/her job... Of course, since today's Disney management lack any kind of creativity, and only worship att he alter of the almighty dollar, they loved the idea... And, well, a real country has been pillaged and plundered and turned into a fictional land... Thus killing World Showcase...
    but I also wish that they had used Frozen as a way to educate the populace on Norwegian culture ( the best of both worlds)
    If they had to have Frozen in Norway, and they didn't, then the best concept would have been to use the characters as a way to, maybe not educate, but showcase Norway... A modern Norway, not a Norway stuck in the 80's... But instead they build a castle park dark ride...

Look, no one can deny Frozen's popularity... No one can deny the business Frozen has generated, and still does... If anyone does deny, well, we need to check to see what rock they been living under or make sure they are still alive... Frozen, whether you are a fan or not, deserved better... it deserved more... And so the Frozen fans... But Disney today thinks so little of their guests, of their fans... They think their fans will just eat up any piece of garbage they are fed... Truth is, they aren't wrong.. I mean look on this site, look elsewhere... Die hard fans can't see past their nose... They just say DISNEY RULEZ and accept the trash heap they are given... Frozen deserved it's own land... With an E ticket ride... Not to be shoe horned into a spot it doesn't belong in...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

13. Likes Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    There was a plan, a great grand plan, to fix Maelstrom... Disney wasn't kidding anyone by trying to portray Maelstrom as some top of the line E ticket anymore... They knew it needed help, and Imagineering came up with a great plan for the ride... Sadly, another Imagineer, who is obviously smart enough to read the tea leaves and know how today's WDW management (and Disney management as a whole) works, came up with a plan to shove Frozen into a spot it doesn't belong, so they could make even more money off merchandise, and potentially save his/her job... Of course, since today's Disney management lack any kind of creativity, and only worship att he alter of the almighty dollar, they loved the idea... And, well, a real country has been pillaged and plundered and turned into a fictional land... Thus killing World Showcase...
    If they had to have Frozen in Norway, and they didn't, then the best concept would have been to use the characters as a way to, maybe not educate, but showcase Norway... A modern Norway, not a Norway stuck in the 80's... But instead they build a castle park dark ride...

Look, no one can deny Frozen's popularity... No one can deny the business Frozen has generated, and still does... If anyone does deny, well, we need to check to see what rock they been living under or make sure they are still alive... Frozen, whether you are a fan or not, deserved better... it deserved more... And so the Frozen fans... But Disney today thinks so little of their guests, of their fans... They think their fans will just eat up any piece of garbage they are fed... Truth is, they aren't wrong.. I mean look on this site, look elsewhere... Die hard fans can't see past their nose... They just say DISNEY RULEZ and accept the trash heap they are given... Frozen deserved it's own land... With an E ticket ride... Not to be shoe horned into a spot it doesn't belong in...
    I agree on some parts. However, I don't understand why you have to be so rude about those of us that do love Disney and are fine with changes. It doesn't mean we are stupid of "fall for garbage." It's really not necessary to look down on others for a difference of opinion.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

15. Thanks luvdiznee thanked for this post
    Likes j2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    I agree on some parts. However, I don't understand why you have to be so rude about those of us that do love Disney and are fine with changes. It doesn't mean we are stupid of "fall for garbage." It's really not necessary to look down on others for a difference of opinion.
    I actually didn't take that as being rude at all, he was expressing his opinion and that's what the boards are for. I really liked the post.
    I recently went to Disneyland and got to see alot of the rides that I miss at WDW - Mr Toad, Snow White, the Submarine, attractions on Main Street etc, and it was great, But i do love alot of what WDW has done with the changes too. I am always torn between the two. I love the history and tradition, its part of me in some way. But I also like new technology and also have found the ability to give change a chance. it is difficult but sometimes we really don't have a choice.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

17. Likes DizneyFreak2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    Actually, there is nothing rude about saying there are many Disney fans who are blindly loyal to the brand.. Which is exactly what was meant by saying many Disney fans can't see past their nose... No where in that post did I ever call anyone stupid... You seem like a reasonable person Terra... Yea sure we had our back and forths, disagreements... But that never made me think you were anything but a reasonable person, so if you want to continue about things being "rude" feel free to PM me... I'll have that convo with you, just not on this forum... We are discussing the Frozen attraction... But, as a reasonable person, you have to admit, there are many fans in the community who are blind followers of all things Disney, and can't see past their nose when it comes time for the brand...

As for Frozen, I'll state again, this does NOT belong in Epcot... Frozen deserved its own land... MK was the right location, but even DHS would have been better, especially since DHS needs all the help it can get, and no Star Wars and Toy Story won't suffice... Will help, but will not cure that park...

I watch the ride through video.. A few of them actually... I won't form a true opinion about the ride... Haven't seen it in person, and I won't... I do refuse to ride it... But, from what I saw, eh... Again it is a castle park dark ride... Nothing more, nothing less... I will, however, give kudos for the AA's... Yes, the animatronics really were amazing... But over all, just an eh... Such a missed opportunity for such a successful and popular IP... Disney dropped the ball on this one in WDW...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

19. Likes Mackflava99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    I actually didn't take that as being rude at all, he was expressing his opinion and that's what the boards are for. I really liked the post.
    I recently went to Disneyland and got to see alot of the rides that I miss at WDW - Mr Toad, Snow White, the Submarine, attractions on Main Street etc, and it was great, But i do love alot of what WDW has done with the changes too. I am always torn between the two. I love the history and tradition, its part of me in some way. But I also like new technology and also have found the ability to give change a chance. it is difficult but sometimes we really don't have a choice.
    While I hate DL, I did really like seeing the dark rides that I miss so much (mr. toad).

I agree w/ the person who said, why not have Frozen characters talk about Norway. It is worse to me, b/c since the ride is exactly the same track, it doesn't seem right. And there is no way I'd wait 5 hours for a ride as short as the Maelstrom was. 35 minutes was pushing it for a minute long ride. Our next trip is at the FW festival. Hopefully people will be busy over there and I can enjoy my snacks in peace.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Actually, there is nothing rude about saying there are many Disney fans who are blindly loyal to the brand.. Which is exactly what was meant by saying many Disney fans can't see past their nose... No where in that post did I ever call anyone stupid.
    Saying someone is "blindly loyal" and "can't see past their nose" is kind of the equivalent to calling someone stupid. Please be mindful of your words.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

22. Thanks luvdiznee, Hammer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The movie Frozen was taken from and use much of the culture of Norway and other Scandinavian Countries. The Meet and Greet area is also very much themed to a Norway Summer House that would have been used. And so what if it is a Frozen dark ride in Norway. It removes an old and tired dark ride and injects it with something new. Yes, the lines won't always be five hours long but it they are constantly long and it draws people in World Showcase early, then it's a good thing. And about that comment about the "all might dollar", yes, they DO want to make a profit. The last time I checked Disney is a "For Profit" organization. So anything they do will be in a way for them to MAKE MONEY. I never understand people who cannot grasp this concept.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: