Quantcast Need Weight Loss Suggestions....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Weight Loss Suggestions....

Hey all,

I am currently 20 pounds overweight and would like any advice regarding weight loss. I am currently on Weight Watchers Online Plus and lost 5 pounds. Unfortunately, I've found their new system to not work well for me, especially since I've been diagnosed with a stomach ulcer and gallstones. I cannot eat foods high in acid (which tend to be low calorie options) and most foods I've enjoyed my whole life are high in acid like pineapple.
    So for me I am going through a complete lifestyle change. Any weight loss programs, tips, or recipes would be greatly appreciated. I am very discouraged with my weight loss right now. Thank you so much!
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I would love to help you if you're open. 7 years ago I was 55, a size 24/3X exhausted taking a nap every day discouraged momma. I had resolved that this must be what my body type was, because in 9th grade my mom took me to this new diet place called Weight Watchers, I had success, but no matter what I tried to do to keep my weight off, It just came back with a few friends in tow! I saw my daughter and her husband lose a total of 150 pounds, but was sure it wouldn't work for me. However, being the supportive parents we are, my husband and I decided we had nothing to lose and wanted to encourage their success! That was May 2009, by September of that year I was a size 16 XL! That is a great story, but the best part of my story is that now, 7 years later, I'm still a size 16, feeling better now then when I was in my 40s! BTW my husband lost 85 pounds as well and has kept them off!

It has been life changing for our entire family, so much so, it is all I do now, help others look better, feel better and perform better.
    Let me know if you would like to talk more.
    Oh, and the best part is I have so much more energy for Disneyworld!
    Patty
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 08-16-2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: promotion link removed per TOS
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

4. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the suggestion, Isabella. I will keep this in mind and message you further if I have any questions.

6. Likes Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lost about 25 pounds by counting calories and marcos using My Fitness Pal. I use an activity tracker to monitor activity, which uploads into MFP. (While I picked up some good tips in WW, I found that when I was close to goal weight my scale would. not. budge.)

One thing that also helped me (on top of the tracking) was to pick one healthy habit a week to work on, rather than making a lot of changes at once. For example, during week 1, I only wrote down the food that I ate. I didn't worry about a calorie count. Other weeks I have limited soft drinks, tried to get more steps, watched my sodium consumption, or increased my servings of vegetables. I still have a bit of a ways to go, but I did loose a pound during a WDW trip following these tips, and I was on the meal plan.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

8. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    I have lost about 25 pounds by counting calories and marcos using My Fitness Pal. I use an activity tracker to monitor activity, which uploads into MFP. (While I picked up some good tips in WW, I found that when I was close to goal weight my scale would. not. budge.)

One thing that also helped me (on top of the tracking) was to pick one healthy habit a week to work on, rather than making a lot of changes at once. For example, during week 1, I only wrote down the food that I ate. I didn't worry about a calorie count. Other weeks I have limited soft drinks, tried to get more steps, watched my sodium consumption, or increased my servings of vegetables. I still have a bit of a ways to go, but I did loose a pound during a WDW trip following these tips, and I was on the meal plan.
    Thank you, that sounds very helpful. Congrats on your weight loss

Post Thanks / Like

Weight watchers is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I don't care for the new system either, but I found online an app My Score Plus that helps me track everything on my own. You can punch in your weight and it helps you figure your points and it keeps me accountable. Good luck

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

11. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've lost 180 lbs in the last year and a half. No special diet like weight watchers. I did some research to figure out my "resting metabolism" then deducted about 500 calories per day. MyFitnessPal is a fantastic app to track your calories and exercise. I also got off of a lot of processed foods as the simple sugars make you feel hungrier. Plus, processed foods make very little demands of the body to digest which lowers your metabolism. So I ate a lot of whole, natural foods and I was never starving. Then I started cycling. Couldn't run as it was too hard on my knees and couldn't do most of the workout programs like beach body. So I found a bike that would support my weight and started doing what I could. When I began I couldn't even go 100 yards without being winded and generally did 3-4 miles total maybe 3 days a week. Now I bike 150+ miles per week and am out at least 5 days each week. Blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugars are all in great range without medication. The key is to find something you can maintain long term. Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes do. You can do it!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

13. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Likes BriarRose0708, TheDuckRocks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with Strmchsr - diets don't work for the long-term, but lifestyle changes do! I recently lost about 60 pounds just by making small changes a little bit at a time. I started exercising (which I really didn't do at all before). But mostly I changed my bad eating habits a little at a time. I started by just adding at least one vegetable serving for lunch and dinner. I found that it filled me up more and kept me fuller longer, so I wasn't reaching for a snack right after my meals. For breakfast, I started making smoothies everyday with berries, banana, kale, and avocado. The berries might not work for you if you have trouble with acidic foods, but you could find a recipe that does work and that you enjoy! The possibilities are endless with smoothies. I found that the avocado makes a huge difference. It makes them creamy and really filling, but you really don't taste it at all. One of the biggest changes I've made, though, is that I made a rule for myself that I won't eat any junk food during the day - nothing until after I've eaten dinner. And then, I eat whatever I want. I think this worked for me because by the time I eat dinner and then am hungry again for something else, it is late enough that I really don't have time to eat much junk! But if I want chocolate, I eat chocolate. If I want chips, I eat chips, lol. I just don't eat very much of those things anymore. Like I said, it's just little changes that have added up to decent results for me...I hope it helps you a little bit too! Best of luck to you! It's definitely not easy, but you can do it!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

15. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Likes BriarRose0708, TheDuckRocks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris and Laura, Congratulations to you both!!! I have been a WW member on and off since 1973. The on and off part is simply because after 43 years I have come to realize it just doesn't work for me. Yes, I can be a very slow learner at times. I think the main problem with WW is that they focus so much on the "lose" part they don't really deal with the "keep" part effectively.
    A side note for Chris - could you tell me how you found you "resting metabolism" rate?
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

17. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    I think the main problem with WW is that they focus so much on the "lose" part they don't really deal with the "keep" part effectively.
    A side note for Chris - could you tell me how you found you "resting metabolism" rate?
    Thank you. It's been a tough, but good, journey. And you're right. There's all kinds of advice on how to lose weight and very little on how to maintain it.

You can do a quick Google search and find several calculators to give you a general idea of what you're looking for. You want to research Basal Metabolic Rate calculator (BMR) and Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR). The basal rate is what your body expends just to exist - it doesn't count any activity or other factors. BMR isn't really all that helpful. RMR is more what you're looking for and beyond that, your total energy expended. The total amount of calories an individual burns in a given day is known as total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and it comes from several sources including RMR, the thermogenic effect of food (TEF), non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) and, of course, exercise (Ex). TDEE = RMR + TEF + NEAT + EPOC + Ex. I mentioned in my first post about how processed foods don't place demands on the body, that means they have a lower TEF so the body expends less energy to process and break down the food. Anyway, I ended up doing a ton of research to figure all of this out, but if you do a Google search you can find some calculators. I recommend doing several of them as they all will vary slightly based on their formula and then average everything out. It's not perfect without going into a clinic and having a whole battery of tests run, but it's good enough for what you need.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

19. Thanks TheDuckRocks thanked for this post
    Likes TheDuckRocks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the simply filling version of WW? I am also a WW Online member. I've lost about 40 pounds this year. I don't have any experience with the Simply Filling version but just wanted to make sure I suggest that since you have the subscription to WW.

In the past I've had good results with Carb Cycling. Chris Powell and his wife Heidi Powell have written several books, articles, and blogposts about it. But once I stop the carb cycling the weight came back.

Like others have said, lifestyle change is what brings about lasting results. Whatever you do to lose weight, if you can't do it to maintain then it likely won't last. I speak from experience.

21. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, the difference was definitely life style change that was supported by the nutrition to change the cravings that would put the pounds back on. It's not been an easy road to maintain the size 24 to 16 seven years later. It's in fact been extremely stressful (caring for and the eventual passing of our four parents). Stress is my trigger to eat, and I know that without the nutritional supplements that I added to my life 7 years ago, I would have put that weight back on just like I did so many, many times for the 40 years before. I applaud your reaching out and encourage you that I know you will have success if you don't give up!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

23. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I lost about 30 pounds three years ago. I have gained five back and keep it nipped in the bud. For me it was an easy equation. Eat less, exercise more. I do not cut out foods that i love, i just strictly limit the amount. I walked every day, no matter what the weather was. When that slacked off i regained those five lbs. i need to keep reminding myself how much more energy i have and how much better my clothes feel on my body. Reframe the can't into cans.

25. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the encouragement! It really does mean a lot. I am try WW again....and this time will try to focus more. A WW coach suggested I make a list of all the foods I can eat and preset the points for those. Since I will be eating college dining hall food, I am able to calculate the points ahead of time because the dining halls provide nutritional info. I will definitely be walking across campus more and I will try some exercise videos. Just tough with all the other college food temptations. Thank you all!

27. Likes Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j2k View Post
    Have you tried the simply filling version of WW? I am also a WW Online member. I've lost about 40 pounds this year. I don't have any experience with the Simply Filling version but just wanted to make sure I suggest that since you have the subscription to WW.

In the past I've had good results with Carb Cycling. Chris Powell and his wife Heidi Powell have written several books, articles, and blogposts about it. But once I stop the carb cycling the weight came back.

Like others have said, lifestyle change is what brings about lasting results. Whatever you do to lose weight, if you can't do it to maintain then it likely won't last. I speak from experience.
    What is the simply filling version?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement! It really does mean a lot. I am try WW again....and this time will try to focus more. A WW coach suggested I make a list of all the foods I can eat and preset the points for those. Since I will be eating college dining hall food, I am able to calculate the points ahead of time because the dining halls provide nutritional info. I will definitely be walking across campus more and I will try some exercise videos. Just tough with all the other college food temptations. Thank you all!
    My granddaughter is leaving for college this Saturday. I went up for a visit to the school with her this summer and we ate in the dining hall. What a great surprise a huge salad bar, lots of veggies and lean meats, way different than when I was in college a million years ago. Sadly I do have to say they also had a huge dessert bar with amazing brownies. I know because I had 2.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

30. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post
    What is the simply filling version?
    I haven't tried it yet but it's basically a list of foods that you can eat that you don't have to worry about tracking. You still get some points for foods that aren't on the list but I'm not exactly sure how many. I think it may be weeklies.

The foods on the list are more filling foods. You can ask a WW Coach about it. You could take the list they suggest you make of foods that you can eat and compare to the simply filling list. It is on their website somewhere.

32. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been on WW since they changed to this new system, so it could have changed with the new program, but the Simply Filling way of doing it was basically that you 'could eat as many of the power foods as you wanted' and then anything that wasn't a power food you would deduct from the weekly points. Frankly, I thought it was dangerous to say 'have as much of these power foods as you want (basically what they meant was don't count the points) because I can very easily eat way more pasta, whole wheat or otherwise, than would be condusive to weight loss.

What the idea was that if you eat the power foods like whole wheat pasta, fruits, veggies, etc., it would fill you up longer so you wouldn't eat as much. I didn't find that to be the case for me.

They did have a kind of meal plan that they put out where basically there were a bunch of breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack recipes and you basically could pick one from each catagory each day. They didn't include measurements of ingredients (for example it was listed as 'whole wheat pasta' rather than '2 ounces of whole wheat pasta' but they did then added that information to the receipes on their website (again, with the old system, not the new one) including the points value. I saved those recipes to a Word document and would be happy to email it to you if you'd like. Just send me a private message. Not sure if that would help, but sometimes having something mapped out for you helps.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

34. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me just working on portion control and running/walking. I love a Coke Zero, but to lose weight I had to cut that out as well .... at least the daily doses. I will drink an occasional beer which is as bad. I cannot do a diet. When I try to cut out French fries a Coke or beer at once, it only makes me want them more. Everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you. I did WW once and did great, tried it again years later and it did not. Try to remember to cut yourself some slack and know that if you cut out everything cold turkey you will return to it with a vengeance and fall off the wagon. .....portion control and getting some exercise works best for me ....
    80 1st./04POR/05POR/06POR/07POR/08POR/09POR/10POR/
    11PORJan/11PORApr/12ASPJun/12AKLJul/12POPNov/13AKL/
    14FQJun/14POPJul/14PORNov/15POPFeb/15FQJun/15AoADec/16ASPNov/17AoAJun/ 17POPSep/18CBJun/19PORApr/

IN GOD WE TRUST !!

STEELERS, SIX TIME SUPERBOWL CHAMPS

36. Thanks Arielfan98 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks once again for all the tips! I am doing well with WW right now, I think I just needed to regroup. Your encouragement really does mean a lot to me and it is keeping me going! I'll update my weight loss and perhaps we can all track our progress. Thanks once again

38. Likes Isabella liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: