Quantcast Visiting Hawaii and Aulani August 2017

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Visiting Hawaii and Aulani August 2017

We are planning a big trip to Hawaii in August 2017 with a stay at Aulani. I am guessing that this resort is pretty popular but how popular is what concerns me. Will we have any chance of getting our one bedroom suite at the 7 month window?

Plus any insider tips to the resort and also Hawaii would be appreciated.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Aulani is pretty popular, particularly in the summer. But not impossible to book at the 7 month mark. August will be better than June or July. The later in August, the easier. Type and view of your room also will make a difference. Standard rooms go quickest, ocean views go last, typically. If I look at the availability tool right now, it's wide open at 7 months, but then that's March. But there's even a smattering of availability for this week.

You should be fine, as long as you're making your reservation on the morning your 7 month window opens.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

4. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My sister lives in Hawaii and we spent the month of July there. We visited Aulani 5 times to eat and walk around (the lagoons at Ko'olina is my personal favorite place to swim in the ocean. Be sure to walk to the 2d lagoon over for some gorgeous smooth water. We stayed at Aulani last January, and I'll have to say it was totally packed in July. There were people everywhere. We checked into a short stay, but the room rates were about $700 for a standard room during our dates. I would try to avoid June and July if possible. I was surprised at how crowded it was. And we tried for the whole month of July to get reservations at Makahiki for the character brunch, and it was totally booked the whole month, for our party size of 4. So go ahead and make some dining reservations!

Dining at Aulani is very expensive- we did a 3 night stay last year, and the food was very pricey. There is a great super Target and Walmart about a 10 minutes drive from Aulani, so I'd definitely get a car and plan to head there for easy access to groceries and souveniers. When we went to Pearl Harbor, I noticed an Aulani tour bus there. I don't know how much they would charge for something like that- I think unless you are planning on staying exclusively at the resort, I'd definitely rent a car and explore the island on your own time table. Once you get the highway system figured out, getting around isn't too bad, just be aware of rush hour traffic in the morning and afternoon...its gets crazy packed.

We've been going to Hawaii for 12+ years, and have been to Aulani several times ever since it opened. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to message me! It's the most amazing place I've ever been...Hawaii is just a magical, amazing place, and I hope you have a wonderful trip!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

6. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Real quick, wanted to add, Aulani and the Ko-olina area is pretty remote (in my opinion). Its quite a drive from the airport. That said, its one of the most pristine parts and just gorgeous. Go ahead and get familiar with the map of Oahu just so you'll have a good idea of where everything is (if you plan on driving). Just north of Aulani is Waianae, which is gorgeous, but not super safe for tourists to be driving around. I'd avoid that area north of Aulani if possible.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

We are going in February just for two days over the weekend (spending six days on the big island first). We could not get a standard room, but had no problem getting a 1 Bedroom Suite for both nights. Of course, we used waaaay more points than we wanted to, but....Aulani! I didn't think we would ever actually get a chance to stay there, and things have just worked out.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

9. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The points are pretty crazy, so we are banking and borrowing points to make this trip work out.

Thanks for the info guys!

After deciding on where to stay we now get to plan out some adventures. The Big Island is a must for us, so much to see and do, starting with the volcanoes!
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR