Quantcast Character Dining/Experiences

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Character Dining/Experiences

Well, I didn't think I was interested in character dining at Universal until I heard someone say something about the Minions being one of the options. Does anyone know which particular restaurant has them - and is it breakfast only or are there dinner options? I looked on the Univeral site and it's not as clear as Disney's dining (or I am just so much more familiar with Disney that I feel more comfortable that I know what characters are where at Disney). I'm really not that interested in any other character experience (we are kind of growing out of that phase where all character interactions are cool) and my son is obsessed with the Minions - so it's important that I make sure to hit the right character meal or there will be some major disappointment.

Also - are there any other recommendations for how to catch the Minions? It doesn't seem that Universal has the character interaction that Disney does - but I could be wrong. Just doesn't seem to be as much info out there on Universal as there is on Disney. Being a major Disney fan (12 trips in 13 years), it's kind of strange to be jumping over to Universal, but I have heard a lot of great things about Universal - and the kids are getting older, so we thought we'd give it a try.

Thanks in advance for any information!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot answer about the character breakfast, but on our last Universal trip in February, there were characters out everywhere. Lots of marvel heros in IOA, Cat in the Hat in Seuss area. And, many, many random characters at US. There is a parade in the afternoon at US (maybe more than one). I remember Gru and Minions in the parade and a lot of interactions with the crowds. The face characters really stay in character and were a fun surprise (Marilyn Monroe, Doc from Back to the Future, Beetlejuice, Blues Brothers was a great show). We were looking for characters, but when we happened upon them, there were no lines at all. I'm pretty certain there were guides that stated when/where characters would be out.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

4. Thanks Mary Chase thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as character breakfast goes, when you call for reservations, they should be able to tell you. Also, I've found that you do not need reservations way in advance for Universal dining.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

6. Thanks Mary Chase thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments! I'm just a little lost without having to book ADR's 180 days in advance! And no planning my fast passes!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    Next up - Beach Club!

Post Thanks / Like

It's really such an easy, stress free trip. It's not Disney, so don't try to compare every little thing to Disney. It is different but it's really, really fun.
    I'm assuming you are staying on-site with express pass included? If so, it just makes the trip so nice. The only thing you need to plan is arriving early for the Harry Potter rides that are not included in express pass, but even then, the standing in line is not a problem.
    Also, traveling between the parks and the hotel is very quick. No planning of a wasted hour traveling between them like at Disney and you don't have to pack for the day when you leave the hotel in the morning.

(and I meant in my first answer that we were NOT looking for characters, but did have a lot of fun with them when we found them)

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we are staying onsite - at Portofino Bay. Looking forward to Express Pass - especially since we are looking at Spring Break time. Also looking forward to being so close to the parks. That is the one thing I really liked when we went to Disneyland a few years ago - loved not having to wait around on buses and being able to walk to the hotel. I have heard that it's a very different experience and after 13 years at Disney - I think I'm ready for different. I'll make it back to Disney at some point, I'm sure - but we needed a change.
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    Next up - Beach Club!