Quantcast Thinking about DL for the first time...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Thinking about DL for the first time...

So, we were planning on surprising our girls with a Christmas gift of a trip to DW next June - it's been over 2yrs, and we're all ready.

Then Sherlock (the BBC show) announced their first USA convention in Los Angeles next year, in May. My 18yr old is OBSESSED with this show... knows every nuance of it, absolutely loves & adores it and all the characters, etc... I really wanted to take her to their 2nd convention in London this year as a graduation gift, but it was a month after she was starting college, and there was just no way. So instead, I was going to take her to NYC when she's home over the holidays for 2 or 3 nights, let her have her fill of touring the city and seeing a couple Broadway shows together... just a mom/daughter trip. (She's a theatre/performance/tv production major & LOVES NYC. )

So now we're considering changing it all up and offering her the Sherlock convention instead, and making it a family trip beforehand to go to DL for the first time, combined with some LA touring. Our girls have been BEGGING to visit California & DL, so we were thinking maybe this would be a way to kill 2 birds with one stone, and save some $$.

So!! Now that you have the whole story - thoughts on DL mid-May, whether or not 2 days or 3 is better, places to stay if you're not staying on property??

Go!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, mid May is a wonderful time to visit Disneyland! The weather is perfect, the flowers are everywhere and the crowds are low. You should plan at least 3 days, no less. Park hoppers are a MUST! There is a Run Disney race weekend over mother's day that will make it much more crowded from that Wednesday through Sunday of mother's day. Just so you can maybe plan around that.

As for places to stay, I really recommend staying on property for your first visit if at all possible. I'd recommend the Disneyland Hotel. But there are plenty of nice hotels in the surrounding areas that are good options as well. Many are new ish. There is a new Springhill Suites and a new Hyatt (Place or House, one of those) at the corner of Katella and Harbor, an easy walk to the parks. Directly across the park is Fairfield Inn, a new Courtyard Marriott, a new Holiday Inn Express...I would recommend any of those three. I assume you will have a car and if so, you can save quite a lot of money by going further south on Harbor towards Garden Grove. There are a couple hotels near the convention center that will offer really low rates IF there is no convention in town. You will have to pay for parking though, which is currently$18/day. There is a Disney lot on Harbor near the convention center with a shuttle to the parks from there.

I think you should definitely come to DL and that convention sounds so perfect for your daughter!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with taking 3 days. Make sure you go and see Carsland in DCA. Paradise Pier with the theme park view is nice. DL hotel is closer to everything then PP.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

3 days is definitely better than 2! I did my first solo there over 2 days, and on my own I got to do and see just about everything. I know you guys like to hit WDW hard so I think you'd be able to get away with 2 days as a family if you get the park hopper, research, and pick and choose your priority stuff to do. But, if you spread it out over 3 days you won't need to go so fast and have more time to enjoy the atmosphere. When we took the kids last spring we went for three days because it was their first trip and we learned from our WDW experience with them that we can't push them too hard. Your girls are older than our kids so maybe they won't get so grumpy with earlier mornings, but the nice thing is if you stay close you won't need to get up 2 hours before the parks open just to make it to rope drop!

As seasoned WDW people, DL will feel familiar but so very different at the same time. The old FP system is still in effect, and the two parks are not linked so you can hold multiple FP for attractions in both parks on the same day if you have Park Hoppers. The parks are literally next to each other and hopping is such a breeze compared to WDW. You can go from Space Mountain to Radiator Springs in a matter of 15 minutes. The girls are going to LOVE it, and of course you and Dan will, too. It hearkens back to that simpler time at WDW and DL is literally the Park that Walt Built and you can just feel it so deeply!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to second the recommendation to stay on-site for your Disneyland days or at least stay off-site at one of the hotels very close to the entrance (the ones Natalie mentioned are good). My family stayed off-site and drove to DL on one trip and parking and taking the tram into the parks was a real hassle, compared with just walking over from a hotel anyway. Plus, it's so nice to be able to go back to your hotel in the middle of the day if you feel like it.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Candy Cane Inn is an excellent hotel to stay at. It took us about 7 minutes to walk from our room to the security check lime at Disneyland. They have a great breakfast as well. It is on he same side of the busy street as Disneyland so is convenient. They have a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes. The hotel is family owned for the last 60 years. It is very clean and the staff are wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: