Quantcast DL First Timers - FINALLY!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default DL First Timers - FINALLY!

DH
    DW
    DS17
    DS14

After many trips to WDW we finally got the chance to check out the "original" if only for one day. But we ended up getting some bang for our buck....

Heading back from a family trip to Hawaii (fantastic BTW!) we planned one day at the park before heading out on the redeye home. First thing I realized - WHEN WE GOT THERE around 9 at night - it was a marathon week-end! and we would b there the Sunday of the race. Not a promising thought. So checked in at our hotel right across the street - very convenient - and walked across the street to get park hoppers for the next day and looking to get there early to beat the anticipated crowds.

Sooo....the crowds - not a problem at all!! Filled up a bit later in the afternoon but we started at ropedrop at 9 and left the park a bit after 4 - did not notice a ton of runners back at the park. Oh, weather was excellent too. The park of course is surrounded by "real life" but once you are in the park it is hardly noticeable. And what did we get done you ask? Well -- utilizing the ol' fastpass strategies of the past we hit up Cali Scream, TSM and TofT twice, and the Matterhorn, Cars Land, IASW, Mr. Toad, Autopia, PoTC, BTMRR, and Splash. Plus the shooting arcade (which actually works) and a spin on the Monorail. Did not think we would accomplish so many things in that timeframe which included almost an hour wait for our last minute decision to do Splash. Great time indeed.

Observations....first, I am a long time Disneyphile but I never knew how similar the WDW MK park is to the original in DL. A bit odd at first - felt like I was in Orlando at times - but actually made navigating easier being first timers and all and there were of course differences as well. IASW - again, had no idea you load/unload outside. Actually thought that was pretty cool! Noticed they did throw in some updated characters along the ride - Lilo/Stitch, Ariel, Woody - out of place don't you think? Mr. Toad....ahhh, missed you old buddy! Funny thing was all I seemed to remember from the WDW ride waaay back in the day was the train headlights. I think. Glad it still lives on. Oh, couldn't get on the sub ride which was the other "throwback" attraction I was Jonesing for. Line was too long.
    Matterhorn - loved it! Just the right mix of old Disney, a bit rickety with a bit of theming thrown in....one of our faves. Both cars rides were cool in their own way. A sucker for Tomorrowland Speedway from my pre-teen years, Autopia was interesting with some sweet car styles and a longer track than the WDW attraction. The ride in cars land was themed really well and the Test Track-like race at the end totally makes the ride.

Rode the monorail. Don't remember what model they are using but they are nice looking vehicles AND no standing - a plus. Not sure why they didn't tie a stop into the on-site hotel you cruise right past however. And it goes at a nice clip too. Missed 2 attractions because closed - HM and Space. Definitely wanted to hit up HM but oh well.

Glad we made a day of it and if we do get out to the left coast again would definitely do a two day trip back and tie in some other stuff.
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

2. Thanks tinkwest thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It really sounds like you had a full day. It is great that you accomplished so much. You will need to visit again when you can add some of the entertainment, such as World of Color, to your agenda.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you enjoyed your first trip to the original park!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a lot of fun. I have only had the opportunity to visit once as well and look forward to getting out there again one day!
    Pooh Fan
    DVC Member- Home Resort SSR
    Sep 2000 - CBR & Dis Wonder
    Sep 2004 - OKW
    Sep 2006 - Pop
    Sep 2008 - OKW
    Feb/Mar 2009 - Off Site
    Sep 2009 - AKV
    Sep 2011 - OKW
    Sep 2012 - Paradise Pier
    Sep 2013 - Offsite and AKV
    Sep 2014 - ASM
    Nov 2015 - SSR
    May 2018 - OKW/AKV Kidani
    Jan 2020 - SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Great report! I was there Sunday afternoon and evening and thought it was SUPER crowded so I am impressed you got to do so much.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: