Quantcast ? Hurricane Damage Hilton Head Resort

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? Hurricane Damage Hilton Head Resort

Saw on The Weather Channel and online that Hilton Head Island had significant damage from Hurricane Matthew. Did anyone hear if Disney's Hilton Head weathered the storm well? Hope everyone is OK.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We own a home on HHI, not far from Shelter Cove where Disney's resort is. The pictures from the island are not good; there are many, many trees down everywhere. We don't know how our own property fared, but we've been following the local newspaper (The Island Packet) and WSAV out of Savannah. Nobody is being allowed back on the island yet.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basket Mommy View Post
    We own a home on HHI, not far from Shelter Cove where Disney's resort is.
    I hope your home is okay, any news?

As far as DVC there still is no news posted. This from MS
    Hilton Head Is Closed
    Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort is currently closed due to impacts from Hurricane Matthew. We look forward to welcoming Guests back to the Resort as soon as possible. Please continue to check the website for updates.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I have been watching for news and following what pictures are available on The Island Packet newspaper website. They were letting residents back on the island at 3 PM yesterday afternoon. From the pictures most of the island seems to be a big mess - lots of trees down, high water in numerous neighborhoods, many docks missing everything but the pilings they were built on and roofs off. The only pictures I saw of the DVC resort was of just the roof tops of the buildings (no damage that I could see) in the background of pictures of Shelter Cove. The damage at Shelter Cove seems to be a lot less than other areas. Wexford Plantation with those huge multi-million dollar homes looks like it was hit hard. Hudson's on the Dock, the Skull Creek Boathouse, and the Hilton Head Diner all have what appears to be major damage.
    I feel guilty being concerned with our scheduled trips there in Jan. and March and will I lose points and how this will impact my dues, when I think of what all those folks who live there must be going through. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see anything about damage to HHI Diner. Our home is in a development behind the diner, and the reports I've seen from WSAV and Island Packet reporters indicate that the diner looked good. Right now there are alligators trying to find their way home, sewage mixed with some of the water that's still standing in streets, there is a boil water advisory and residents are being asked to limit flushing. Some restaurants are starting to reopen with limited menus. We're heading down tomorrow morning to assess our property now that electricity has been restored.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't hear anything about the Skull Creek Boathouse having major damage. Residents have been let back on the island, but I heard this morning that the DHHIR won't reopen until October 15th. One church is serving free meals, and one of our favorites, Signe's, is reporting that she's open part time. We're headed there in 6 weeks for Thanksgiving, and we're expecting there'll still be some impact then.

Post Thanks / Like

There are more restaurants opening - Reilley's, Poseidon (serving first responders today, but will reopen later), Crazy Crab, Java Burrito, some of the Salty Dog restaurants - just a few that I've read are open. Skull Creek had a lot of debris and some damage to their outdoor patio, but they reported that their employees had been there to help clean up. No word on their reopening date. I just read that the Westin resort is reopening Monday.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

As of this morning I saw on the Disney HHI resort's Facebook page that they won't reopen until at least October 21st. I don't know if this is a case of major damage and/or sewer and water issues, and how much is Disney's attempt at being super-careful. The whole resort, practically, is wood, and imagine the effect if a wobbly railing or an insecure balcony led to someone falling and getting hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

After dealing with Superstorm Sandy in NJ and seeing the damage water can leave to homes, I would think many places will be dealing with mold issues. If the residents weren't allowed back on the island for a couple days then most likely there is a mold issue and remediation will have to take place. Also it may be that construction crews will help the residents first and they would take precedence over the resorts.

Wishing a speedy recovery for all.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Our house is just down the road from Disney HHI on the other side of Shelter Cove. We had no water damage, but we're not right next to the water like the Disney property is. We do currently have electricity, sewer and water and the boil water advisory has been lifted. We can't get onto the Disney property, but from what I can see from the road it looks okay. It's probably just Disney being abundantly cautious. Also, a lot of hospitality employees that work on the island live off-island. It could be a matter of making sure they can be fully staffed when they do reopen.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

12. Thanks TheDuckRocks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read that every business has to pass an inspection before they can reopen. According to Mayor David Bennett, "the town has assessed nearly 3,000 of the 19,600 structures on the Island as part of the FEMA process." So that would also cause a delay in reopening.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

14. Thanks TheDuckRocks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another update: hubby and I drove down into Shelter Cove this afternoon. We saw a lot of trees down, but none on top of houses. We did drive across the small bridge to the front of Disney's HHI. The gate that raises to let guests onto the property was gone. There were several large vans from cleaning companies at the entrance, and one of them was full of what looked like Wet Vacs. I didn't see any trees down and no damage to roofs. They're right on the water, so most likely it was just a lot of water damage. The marina itself looked good. Boats were in the water & not on dry land ; )
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

16. Thanks TheDuckRocks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this on a Disney newsletter I receive:

Buried within the new budget for Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort is some indication of the fallout from October's Hurricane Matthew. The Disney timeshare resort was closed for 21 days -- from October 5 through 26 -- due to the storm threat and subsequent damage clean-up. Overall annual dues for Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort will rise by 6.7 percent, from $6.8153 per point in 2016 to $7.2728 per point in 2017.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: