Quantcast DVC first time buyers

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC first time buyers

With the new restrictions on DVC resales, anything I'm not thinking about while I'm doing my Pros/Cons list of buying new versus buying resale. I'm a HS teacher who lives in coastal NC and the entire family of four really enjoy visiting the parks. We typically have AP's as we routinely do an 8 day stay in spring or summer and a long weekend in late fall. I'm looking for the most bang/buck. My kids are 12 & 15 and my wife and I know we will enjoy many adult trips for years to come. WL is hands down our favorite resort but are staying for 6 nights at Poly on our upcoming April trip to check it out. This will be the second third time we have rented DVC points. AKL is the only DVC location (Jambo) we have stayed at that we didn't like, I think the shear size of the resort was a turn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How exciting! We took the official tour last year, and decided that resale was how we wanted to go to. Have you thought about what resort you'd like? Although the Poly is lovely, we decided we wanted a home resort that offered 1 bedrooms.

We were thinking about AKL. Was it just the size, or did something else turn you off?
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

4. Likes imprttuner88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Size, didn't feel as intimate or as cozy as WL did. I think styling is also a possibility as my family really felt at home there as well. That said, having a Savannah view and drinking morning coffee looking at the animals was quite exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to keep in mind is that once you buy resale you could do a 25 point direct add on which would allow you the perks. If you're interested in VWL you would need to go resale, last I heard there were no direct, Cooper Creek should be selling soon but you're probably looking at a minimum of $180/pt.

A big point in all this is end date, depending on your age this could be a make or break for some. VWL (our home) expires in 2042 but at 61 I'll probably be dead by then so it makes no matter to me. The newer end dates are 2068 I believe.

Regardless of which way you go, plan your use year. For example, when we originally we mostly traveled in early November so we asked Disney for a September or October use year. This way if we need to cancel a trip we still had plenty of time to bank or reschedule. Of course now, because of add-on itis, we're visiting at least 3 times a year so it makes no difference
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

7. Thanks imprttuner88 thanked for this post
    Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that once you buy resale you could do a 25 point direct add on which would allow you the perks.
    How do you go about doing this? Is there a time frame of expiration after buying resale?
    We purchased resale before the last restrictions were in place so we get the discounts, etc but would really like to get a small 25 point contract and haven't seen any in resale for our resort (BWV).

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    How exciting! We took the official tour last year, and decided that resale was how we wanted to go to. Have you thought about what resort you'd like? Although the Poly is lovely, we decided we wanted a home resort that offered 1 bedrooms.

We were thinking about AKL. Was it just the size, or did something else turn you off?
    I agree with you - the option to only get a studio at Poly is a negative - unless you wish to spend a million points per night for a bungalow!

We've owned at AKL for years and love it. The key to AKL DVC stays at Jambo House is to request a room closer to the lobby. If you stay in an end room at Jambo, the walk can be significant. But we've almost always stayed nearer the lobby - or in the Kidani section. But that would be true of many of the resorts. We stayed in a room at the far edge of WL one time, and that seemed just as far to the lobby there as we have found at AKL. We also stayed in a room at Poly that was a pretty significant walk to the main lobby and the monorail. In fact, we were closer to the monorail station at the T&T Center that stay! It can happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    ... but would really like to get a small 25 point contract and haven't seen any in resale for our resort (BWV).
    Maybe you know this, but... Owning at multiple resorts doesn't give you the full 11 month booking window for all your points at all your home resorts. The home resort booking window only applies to the points you own at each resort. What this means is only those 25 points have an 11 month opportunity at BWV. If you bank and borrow, that's a maximum of 75.

I'd hate to see someone spend money only to find out its not all its cracked up to be.

It could also complicate booking if you really want to save points for the future. The online booking may use points you really want to save for a future trip. Just takes a call to straighten out, but if you do this often, it may get old fast.

11. Thanks VWL Mom, missymouseworld thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you go about doing this? Is there a time frame of expiration after buying resale?
    We purchased resale before the last restrictions were in place so we get the discounts, etc but would really like to get a small 25 point contract and haven't seen any in resale for our resort (BWV).
    You can do an add on any time after you have a membership number. You would just call DVC and tell them you are interested in 25 points at BWV and the use year you are looking for.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

13. Thanks missymouseworld thanked for this post
    Likes missymouseworld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Maybe you know this, but... Owning at multiple resorts doesn't give you the full 11 month booking window for all your points at all your home resorts. The home resort booking window only applies to the points you own at each resort.
    BWV is our home resort where we originally purchased our contract. We were looking to add on to the points we already have with the same use year. I have noticed in the resale market that small point contracts at this resort is very limited, if at all.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

FYI....I called my DVC representative and sticker shock, almost double the price to get points direct from Disney vs. buying on the resale market. I guess I will continue to look at the resale site and hope for the best.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking heavily because of price to get my foot in the door at Old Key West. As a home resort any opinions? The contract for sale in looking at now has 197 available now, 150 for 2017 December time frame renewal and 150 for 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI....I called my DVC representative and sticker shock, almost double the price to get points direct from Disney vs. buying on the resale market. I guess I will continue to look at the resale site and hope for the best.
    Yeah, I can't imagine that new point contracts are flying off the shelves. I don't think the restrictions make buying from Disney more attractive than the savings possible. Using DVC for anything other than DVC resorts has never been a good deal, this really just forces you to get that value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imprttuner88 View Post
    I'm looking heavily because of price to get my foot in the door at Old Key West. As a home resort any opinions? The contract for sale in looking at now has 197 available now, 150 for 2017 December time frame renewal and 150 for 2018.

OKW is my home - Dec use year. I am an OKW fan for sure. I love the studios with 2 beds! I did get an extended contract (2057) so I could be sure my kids will have it for a while when I'm gone.

19. Thanks imprttuner88 thanked for this post
    Likes imprttuner88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick reminder that if you are considering purchasing resale (like I did) - our sponsor the TimeShare Store will be a great help guiding you thru the process and finding the perfect DVC home for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default How did you extend?

Quote Originally Posted by ginny57 View Post
    OKW is my home - Dec use year. I am an OKW fan for sure. I love the studios with 2 beds! I did get an extended contract (2057) so I could be sure my kids will have it for a while when I'm gone.
    I was wondering how you extended your contract? Did Disney reach out to you or can you reach out to them to let them know you are interested? We are in the process of buying at OKW and just wondered how it worked.
    Mar. '04- Spring Break~ Pop Century
    Sept. '07- Honeymoon~ AKL
    Oct. '08- Coronado Springs
    Christmas '10- Wilderness Lodge
    Nov. '12- PO: FQ
    Sept. '14- Caribbean Beach
    May '15- PO: Riverside
    Nov. '16- Coronado Springs
    Nov. '17- Disneyland Hotel
    Nov. '18- 1st Trip as DVC Owner- Boulder Creek

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

We've owned at OKW since 2000. Back several years ago (10 or so) DVC offered us the extension and we took it. Have not heard of them doing it since then.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

We bought our second contract resale through the Timeshare store and they were great. I second what John says, if you go that route you should use them (from the link on this site!)

We like OKW. Rooms are bigger (especially the one bedroom). We had the offer to extend 15 years but as we had paid $50 for 50 years and they wanted $25 for 15 years with our ages we gave it a happy miss (but was actually a pain to decline with all the paperwork they insisted on).
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: