Quantcast Renting DVC points

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renting DVC points

I was thinking of trying to rent DVC pints for our next trip. If I go through an agency such as David's, do they all have the same listings? Or do I need to go to different places to find what I am looking for? Thanks for any input!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Our sponsor - the TimeShare Store rents points - not quite sure how it works but check out their site http://www.dvc-resales.com/ and give them a call. I have wondered about this myself as I only own (don't laugh) 60 points
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they do. I think each rental company, be it TimeShare Store or David's, they have their own clientele that own the points and who are, for whatever reason, in need of selling those points. I know from their Facebook posts, David's will list last minute deals, and these are usually for specific dates at specific resorts, where the DVC owner has already booked the stay and now has to back out. Or if they have points that are available, or expire soon, they say you will be booked into either OKW or SSR, as those are the two biggest that can offer availability.

I'm thinking of renting points. So in my situation I think I contact one of these companies and say, I want to stay at the Boardwalk Villas for one week in say November, and I need 250 pts. I think they then reach out to their base to see if they can both collect the points and meet my desired location.

I think both companies have full accessiblity to all DVC resorts, but it comes down to, can they find a DVC member that has points, potentially as their home resort, that will allow you to complete your booking.

Again, I think the only "listings" these companies have is if one of their clients has already booked a week at say the BCV and now find they can't make the trip, so that reservation (meaning points) is sold to one of these companies and they in turn will try do a "flash" sale to find buyers of the points.

Renting points is definitely something I want to look into. Have never done a deluxe stay, and with a family of 5, this seems to be about the only way I can see it being affordable.

5. Thanks VWL Mom thanked for this post
    Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I guess when the time comes I will just check with a few different agencies.

Post Thanks / Like

The DVC rental agencies don't generally rent out existing reservations, so there aren't any listings. They function as brokers, matching up owners with people who want to rent DVC accommodations.

When you contact David's, they'll ask you what resort(s), room size and date range you're looking for. Then they'll go through the list of owners that they're working with and find someone who has the points to make your reservation. The owner will then make the booking with DVC. You pay David's, they disburse the funds to the owner.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used David's and loved it. They are very easy to work with. Last year we stated at AKL Kidani and this year (March) we're staying at the Boardwalk.
    November 2018 - Coronado Springs/Pop Century
    October 2017 - Disneyland
    March 2017 - All Star Sports & Boardwalk
    October 2015 - AKL Kidani
    March/April 2014 - Pop Century Resort
    Nov/Dec 2005 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    Nov/Dec 2004 - Pop Century Resort
    February 2003 - All Star Movies

9. Likes The Hitchhiking Ghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it cheaper to rent points thru a DVC agency to stay at a deluxe resort than just booking a regular room at the resorts? Can you rent points thru DVC even if you are not a DVC member?
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Typically, those who rent points are not vacation club members as members would usually use points they own. I don't know if the rental is cheaper than booking a room in the resort but vacation club rooms have more amenities. For example, if you rented points for a 1 or bedroom villa, you'd also have a washer and dryer and much more space.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-mouse View Post
    Is it cheaper to rent points thru a DVC agency to stay at a deluxe resort than just booking a regular room at the resorts? Can you rent points thru DVC even if you are not a DVC member?
    Yes - we didn't end up doing it, because we went with free dining at POR, but here is an analysis that I did when we were debating about possibly spending 9 nights at Old Key West (OKW) in 2016.

OKW: 9 nights, rack rate (includes 12.5% sales tax) = $4,833
    OKW: 9 nights with advertised 30% discount thru Disney = $$2,884
    OKW: 9 nights renting points thru David's @ $14 p/point = $2,018

So as you can see, renting points in a situation where you might otherwise pay rack rates, can save over 50%. With points, you are buying points and using them to get the room, because you are doing that vs paying a nightly rate, there is no 12.5% sales tax, a huge savings.

Keep in mind, renting points would mean that any Disney offers like free dining wouldn't apply.

You can book a DVC room directly thru Disney, but DVC doesn't on its own rent points. Points are sold by DVC Owners to companies like David's or Timeshare Store who then in turn arrange the transaction and transfer of monies. If you are lucky, you may know of a DVC owner who would sell you points directly, but the trust factor is completely on the buyer.

From what I can tell, unless its some kind of flash sale, most secondary companies like the two I mentioned, rent points in the $13-15 range. So if you look up how many points are needed for your stay (based on dates and location) you can easily translate that into overall cost.

Post Thanks / Like

One very important thing to keep in mind when renting points: they are non-refundable.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

We've rented points in the past before and it worked well, until one huge trip and my little girl got really sick right before we were scheduled to leave. Silly me didn't think about getting trip insurance...we would have been out $3k...so if you do rent DVC points make sure you get trip insurance. They are non-refundable and non-changeable. That was a complete nightmare for me, and it was my fault for not getting insurance. Thankfully my parents were able to go the first night, then we came down the next night (thank God her fever came down and she was feeling better). Talk about stress! I actually haven't rented points since then. We saved a ton of money. But to me having flexibility to cancel/ change is the better option for my family right now.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: