Quantcast California Grill

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default California Grill

My DD and I are going to WDW APril 2. We try to do something different every visit, this year we plan to eat at the California Grill so we can see the fireworks, We have 5:45 reservations, the latest I could get, will we be able to stick around for the fireworks? My main question is: As Missouri Farmers we are not the most fond of fancy food. Can we just go for a dessert and still stay or would there be another option at the Contemporary that might suit us better? Thanks for the info.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about them being too fancy, it is Disney and with the exception of Victoria and Albert's you can expect to see people with kids and in park attire. It is business casual but nice khaki shorts and shirts are even acceptable. As far as the food, I've never eaten there but I see some simple options on the menu like Rotisserie chicken flatbread, roasted tomato flatbreads, ribeye, filet of beef and chicken. The presentation may be fancy but I'm betting you would enjoy it anyway. If not, as far as I know you can just get dessert.

Chef Mickey's is a lot more casual but if you want to watch the fireworks I would stick with California Grill. What time are fireworks that night because that ADR seems a little early you may want to push it back a bit.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

If you are nervous about what to order, I would suggest the Oak Fired Filet of Beef or Slow-braised Boneless Beef Short Rib. They are both incredibly delicious and not overwhelming/foreign flavors.
    Or, split some apps and desserts if you don't want a full dinner- the flatbreads are amazing. It doesn't matter what time your dinner is, you are still able to come up to the viewing platform for fireworks time. You could always hang at the bar/lounge area, or explore other parts of the resort while you are waiting and then go back and view fireworks later! I think it's an amazing experience and highly recommend everyone try it once!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will be able to find something you like to eat at California Grill. My sister-in-law is not a very adventurous diner but she really likes California Grill. I was totally surprised when she ordered the goat cheese ravioli (which is outside her comfort zone) and totally loved it!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that anyone who has dining reservations at California Grill (even if they are early reservations) is welcome to return for the fireworks when they are shown.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    I forgot to mention that anyone who has dining reservations at California Grill (even if they are early reservations) is welcome to return for the fireworks when they are shown.
    I would do what Linda recommends. You can explore the other hotels on the monorail and then go back to California Grill 10-15 minutes before the fireworks are scheduled.

As for what to order, I would recommend the Oak fired filet as well. If you can order the filet minus any sauce if it doesn't appeal to you.. The desserts can be fancier than the entrees!
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said hop back over before the fireworks, we LOVE to view them from the contemporary.

As far as the food I'd encourage you to give things a shot! There are always less adventurous flatbreads (don't be afraid to ask your server what a word means or an ingredient is!) and while many have suggested the filet they generally have a pork chop or pork tenderloin option as well that makes for a more familiar choice!
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't regret being there at 5:45. The daylight view is spectacular!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09