Quantcast Pandora: is it just me? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the fence on this one. I have faith in Joe Rhode & James Cameron & I believe it is going to be unsurpassed at night and nothing else has been for disney yet in AK. Sunset Safari? Not impressive. River of Light? Reviews are mediocre. It appears that Pandora will dazzle at night to me, but I could be wrong

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    Will they have Navi walking around? that would be very cool
    I certainly hope so! Given their scale relative to humans..... difficult to do though. They make Chewbacca look small.

best,

...............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    I certainly hope so! Given their scale relative to humans..... difficult to do though. They make Chewbacca look small.

best,

...............john
    That's what stilts are for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

best,

...............john
    Did you see the Na'vi AA in the boat ride attraction????

This land is going to be fantastic.... And the boat ride will be the crown jewel of it all....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, I'm looking forward to it. I thought the movie was pretty good. I mean, the plot was somewhat generic, and it was a little formulaic. But the visuals were stunning, and it looks like Disney has really outdone themselves with regards to the theme here in this new land.

Age old advice here, guys. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. Now, I don't subscribe to that advice regarding things that could ruin your life (drugs, cheating on your wife, bungie jumping, etc), but when we're talking about a new land at WDW? C'mon. Give it a chance.

Besides, in DizneyFreak2002 I trust. He says that it looks amazing, then I believe it looks amazing.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

7. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never been able to successfully watch the movie We will go see Pandora on our trip in December to what it is like and try the new rides though. Our family is a large group of Star Wars Nerds though and can not wait for the Star Wars section
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

9. Likes BrerGnat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanFamily6 View Post
    Our family is a large group of Star Wars Nerds though and can not wait for the Star Wars section
    My boys (including DH) are chomping at the bit for that!
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

11. Likes BrerGnat, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So far with what I've seen online, we have no interest. I only hope it pulls crowds from things we do enjoy, but somehow we doubt it. I think something that exotic, alien, foreign, does need some sort of tie in. We aren't talking about another country or anything, but something totally alien/foreign (by definition) and the videos of I've seen, just don't peak my interest. The banshee, kind of, but just a little.

I think a good comparison, is the comic area at IOA. Considerably less busy than any other area of the park. (I don't count the atlantis show thing, which is so dated is like an aquatic themed Disney Quest equivalent).
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

13. Likes BrerGnat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is probably just you.... I am looking forward to the Pandora land itself... awesome imagination and appeals to a different crowd... it is nice to have diversity. Not a big fan of Animal Kingdom so is nice to have something interesting added. I perfer Magic Kingdon and Ecpot.... the beauty is there is something for everyone at Disney!!
    POR 04/2018
    CB - 01/2018
    Contemporary - 12/2017
    Poly - 06/2017
    GF - 08/2009
    BW - 07/2008
    Contemporary - 11/2007
    Poly - 02/2007
    POR - 12/2004
    Contemporary - 12/2003
    Dixie Landing - 12/2002, 12/2001 8/2000
    Contemporary - 12/1999
    Dixie Landing - 5/1998, 5/1997

Post Thanks / Like

At this point, we are excited about any new additions, although the Avatar theme wouldn't have been my first choice. We haven't watched the movie in several years, so we will probably watch it again so that we can refresh our memories. My nine year old said that she hopes that it's better than the Fantasyland expansion. It still bothers her that the Tangled area is just a nice bathroom.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't know whether it will be good, bad, or indifferent. I've never seen the Avatar film and have no desire to see it, but that wouldn't stop me from enjoying the land if it was well done. I've never seen a single Harry Potter film or read any of the books, but I really loved the land and attractions at Universal built around the franchise.

My biggest issue with Disney these days is it just takes them an absolutely ridiculous amount of time to do anything anymore. I mean they built the entire Disneyland theme park in a year and now it takes them like four or five years just to add a new land. Think about it ... Disney officially announced the Avatar addition in September of 2011! It will be nearly six full years until it actually opens. They've got to find a way to do better than that, because truthfully Universal is absolutely smoking them when it comes to cranking out new stuff.

The other thing that really bothers me is that these new "lands" get added and when you really get down to brass tacks they add one or two attractions at the most. The much talked about Fantasyland expansion added, at the end of the day, one single net-new ride. Originally it was a neutral since they came back and built 7DMT later on. The Star Wars land is the same thing ... looks like two new attractions and my bet is only one is really a ride and the other one is more of a show. Pandora? Same thing ... two new attractions total. DHS and AK never really made it past the 1/2 day park mark and now that they've gutted DHS so badly in preparation for the new stuff it's even worse. Epcot used to be great, but they've let it languish so badly that it really is down to a 1/2 day park, too. At least if you measure it by attractions ... I love to just wander around and soak in the atmosphere, but truth-be-told the attractions there are really sorely lacking anymore.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I honestly don't know whether it will be good, bad, or indifferent. I've never seen the Avatar film and have no desire to see it, but that wouldn't stop me from enjoying the land if it was well done. I've never seen a single Harry Potter film or read any of the books, but I really loved the land and attractions at Universal built around the franchise.

My biggest issue with Disney these days is it just takes them an absolutely ridiculous amount of time to do anything anymore. I mean they built the entire Disneyland theme park in a year and now it takes them like four or five years just to add a new land. Think about it ... Disney officially announced the Avatar addition in September of 2011! It will be nearly six full years until it actually opens. They've got to find a way to do better than that, because truthfully Universal is absolutely smoking them when it comes to cranking out new stuff.

The other thing that really bothers me is that these new "lands" get added and when you really get down to brass tacks they add one or two attractions at the most. The much talked about Fantasyland expansion added, at the end of the day, one single net-new ride. Originally it was a neutral since they came back and built 7DMT later on. The Star Wars land is the same thing ... looks like two new attractions and my bet is only one is really a ride and the other one is more of a show. Pandora? Same thing ... two new attractions total. DHS and AK never really made it past the 1/2 day park mark and now that they've gutted DHS so badly in preparation for the new stuff it's even worse. Epcot used to be great, but they've let it languish so badly that it really is down to a 1/2 day park, too. At least if you measure it by attractions ... I love to just wander around and soak in the atmosphere, but truth-be-told the attractions there are really sorely lacking anymore.
    I agree with you. But I think they learned their lesson with taking so long to build stuff. Star Wars land will be done in about 2 more years which is a huge improvement from previous additions. And the 2 rides will be actual rides (pretty thrilling ones, not a lame 5 min boat ride). The Cantina restaurant is supposed to be kind of a show as well, not a quick serve place. So SW land seems more fully fleshed out already.

I'm sure Pandora Land looks cool. But I think it will lack real substance.

Natalie

18. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I'm sure Pandora Land looks cool. But I think it will lack real substance.
    For me, visual IS real substance.

Of course... I'm a professional visual artist.

best,

..............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

20. Thanks PopPhan thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, visual IS real substance.

Of course... I'm a professional visual artist.

best,

..............john
    I can respect that!

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

So, while I thought Avatar was fine, I thought the scenery was gorgeous, and I hope that - and actually expect - Disney does it justice. I am going on my first trip since Pandora opens, in July. We are going to Animal Kingdom for half days THREE TIMES during my 10 days, much more than usual, so that we can get fastpasses for both new Pandora rides AND Expedition Everest. I hope desperately you are wrong, as I hated the construction at Animal Kingdom for so long, and hope not to endure it again right away!

Post Thanks / Like

We visited Pandora yesterday. The area is nice, but nothing amazing. The Flights of Passage queue is interesting and the ride is excellent. It is a lot like Soarin as others have said and as for someone who gets motion sickness, this was not not case for me. They blow a lot of air in your face which helps a great deal. The boat ride for us was completely underwhelming and we will probably never ride it again. For six years, they couldn't have made this into a log flume with a few drops? Once this opens, I can see them having to change it for lack of interest. As far as food, we tried the hamburger pockets and my kids enjoyed them but I didn't like the taste of the meat. The doughy part was pretty good. Overall, we liked half of this new land!

24. Likes BrerGnat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

best,

...............john
    Have you seen DiVine? Same deal, only blue... Hahahaaa
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Understandable, but how much of this was Disney/ImaginEaring and how much was getting Cameron's approval? It seems like a lot of this had to do with creating, and debugging, new ideas and a lot more on getting things 'perfect' to Cameron (and/or Rhode!)

I am certainly NOT downplaying your statement, as I do agree that Disney seems to take forever to implement any changes/additions/etc., but I honestly do not think this one is all on them. 2 - 3 years should be the maximum to 'create' a new land --- from groundbreaking to completion. I cannot fathom a guess as to how long design should take, but that is (should be) all behind the scenes.

One more 'add'....What was in this area prior to the Pandora "redesign"? Once the Pocohantas show was closed, there was ONLY The Lion King show and Meet & Greets in that section of the park. Isn't is better to have something to draw people in, even if it adds only one attraction from the original area?

OK...off my soapbox now...
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: