Quantcast Thanksgiving or Week between Christmas and New Year's - opinions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanksgiving or Week between Christmas and New Year's - opinions

Trying to figure out how to get a Disney vacation in this year. The kids are getting older and taking them out of school is not an option. We have been to Disney around Thanksgiving and it is very crowded then. We'd deal with those crowds again, but we'd have to take a shorter trip than we'd like and worry we wouldn't be able to do everything we'd like to do due to the crowd levels. We'd have a little more time at Christmas time, but I've heard the crowds are unbearable the week between Christmas and New Years. I heard that the crowds are the highest all year at that time, but recently heard someone say that Thanksgiving crowds are worse? I am surprised by that. Can anyone who has been at both times of the year help me understand what to expect the week between Christmas and New Years?

Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Both are very busy times of the year. It's been quite some time since I've been there for either Thanksgiving or Christmas week but I know you can plan on having plenty of company during either time frame. Careful planning and use of the fastpass option can help you maximum your trip despite the crowds.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

4. Thanks Mary Chase thanked for this post
    Likes Mary Chase liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've been plenty of times Thanksgiving week and we never found crowds to be that bad. Sure its crowded, but still manageable. We would not hesitate to go again at that time. As a matter of fact the only reason we haven't gone for Thanksgiving the past few years is because our kids play football.

Have been Christmas week, up until Christmas day, but never the week between Christmas and New Years.

Keep this in mind. The parks pretty much always close due to reaching capacity the week between Christmas and New Years, but we have never experienced that during Thanksgiving week in all our trips.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

6. Thanks Mary Chase thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have found the week of Thanksgiving very doable. Now the week between Christmas and New Year can be very very busy. This past Christmas wait times for some of the popular rides was between 90 minutes and 145 minutes. It can be doable if you are at the park at opening and maybe take a break mid day and go back for night time hours

Post Thanks / Like

When I went the week between Christmas and New Years the parks closed due to full capacity just about every day and one day it occurred at 10am! We were shocked!
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We have been the week of Thanksgiving the past two years. The cheerleaders selected UCA All American are in the pre-parade on Thanksgiving Day so there are a lot of cheerleaders and their families that add to the crowd levels, especially Magic Kingdom on Thanksgiving day. The parks are busy that week and fastpass+ has created a situation where even the basic rides have long lines. You can expect the popular rides such as Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Space Mountain, Rocking Roller Coaster, Soarin', Frozen, etc. to have wait times in excess of 90 minutes and we saw in excess of 120 minutes at times this past Thanksgiving. We were in line for Seven Dwarfs over 2 hours the first time we rode it and about an hour the second time.

10. Thanks Mary Chase thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went at Thanksgiving and the crowds were insane. This apparently is a change in recent years as it use to be that the crowds were not too bad until Thanksgiving day.

I have also been the week been on Christmas day and for most of the week between Christmas and New Years (Our trip was from the 23rd to the 29th). I found Christmas to be very manageable if you did not go to MK or EPCOT on Christmas day (which is where everyone else is going). We went to DHS on Christmas Day and had light crowds until 11 am when MK closed it doors.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

12. Thanks Mary Chase thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply! I seem to recall one of our trips Thanksgiving week being similar - much more crowded than we'd thought it would be. I totally agree with the Fastpass+ comment - you couldn't get on any rides without a decent wait. This is what worries me - having a shorter time at Disney than we'd ever taken in the past - and having crowds like that. I've never been there when they have closed to capacity and even when it was super crowded, we were told that they were nowhere near capacity - so the thought of the crowds during the week between Christmas and New Years really scares me.
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

Post Thanks / Like

While a few days on either side of Thanksgiving can be very busy, it typically seems to be much worse between Christmas and New Year's. If it came down to it, I would visit at Thanksgiving, and make sure we planned out FPs and dining reservations. But we will never try to tackle the last week of the year!

Post Thanks / Like

The week between Christmas and New Years can be CRAZY crowded, especially the days right next to the holidays themselves. We go, but kinda "law low" and do mornings.
    If you go, it's very pretty and fun! just relax and know that the parks are crowded and adjust accordingly.
    16 FW, SS
    15 CS, FW
    14 CS,FW,POR
    13 BCW
    12 BC
    11 BC
    10 FW
    09 DEC
    08 FW,POR
    07 OK, SS, CBR, POR
    06 POLY,AS,FW,YC
    05 SS,FW