Quantcast Happily Ever After

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Happily Ever After

When Disney announced WISHES would be ending I was very sad. I have loved that show since it started. I did no think I could possibly like a new show. Well I was wrong! The premier of Happily Ever After was fantastic! I can not wait to see it again and again

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not enjoy Happily Ever After and it pails in comparison to Wishes. The fireworks were great as were the castle projection. Visually stunning. But it was disjointed, it lacked heart, soul, emotion, and didn't make me feel anything. Why? It didn't tell me a story. And I found myself getting bored before it was over and that is crazy bc fireworks are my favorite part of my Disney day.

It seemed like it was just fireworks set to Disney music and they tried to jam every Disney movie made into the show which led to the lack of cohesion.

For a company that says storytelling is what they do they forget to tell one with their new MK firework show and it made s difference. Bring back Wishes.

4. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched it on Youtube. It was truly AMAZING!

Post Thanks / Like

For what it was, I enjoyed the show, but it is a 'one and done' show for me. On my next 7 (park) day trip, I will make sure I see it in person once; I will see Rivers of Light once; then the rest of my nights will be at Illuminations or Fantasmic (or the Star Wars fireworks, if they are still around).
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    I did not enjoy Happily Ever After and it pails in comparison to Wishes. The fireworks were great as were the castle projection. Visually stunning. But it was disjointed, it lacked heart, soul, emotion, and didn't make me feel anything. Why? It didn't tell me a story. And I found myself getting bored before it was over and that is crazy bc fireworks are my favorite part of my Disney day.

It seemed like it was just fireworks set to Disney music and they tried to jam every Disney movie made into the show which led to the lack of cohesion.

For a company that says storytelling is what they do they forget to tell one with their new MK firework show and it made s difference.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

For a company that says storytelling is what they do they forget to tell one with their new MK firework show and it made s difference. Bring back Wishes.
    I feel like we saw different shows. I've had it playing on repeat on youtube while cleaning today. I felt like it hit all the swell up, hug your kid, make your dream come true emotions.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to seeing Happily Ever After at some point. Wishes was great, but got kind of old to me after a while. Personally I don't care if it tells a story as much as it has a message that touches my heart.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of my same feelings. I didn't think the fireworks were "themed" to either the audio track or the projection. I also got bored about 10 minutes in so really need to watch it again but for me, it seemed to remind me of CTM, which I thought was just a commercial for Disney movies.

As a "replacement" projection show for the earlier versions, I was saddened to see no visual or even mention of Walt, Mickey or Cinderella as was present in earlier projection offerings. Maybe I was just so bored I just missed it. Will need to watch again.

In the prelude to the live stream it was said that the theme was to follow your dreams to a "happily ever after" conclusion. Nowhere could that have been better exemplified than the history of Walt Disney.

All above is only my opinion. If others liked the show, so be it. I'm happy for them but for me, not so thrilled with the offering. I feel they could have done a LOT better.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed seeing the live stream. Looking forward to seeing it in person.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the official replay of the Live Stream Debut:

The actual show starts at about 14:54.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

You took the words right out of my mouth! Couldn't agree with you more! I was also hoping to see something, anything, about Walt in the new show.

We watched it on YouTube on our TV and even my 15 year old son said it was just OK. We thought it was visually stunning, but the music, fireworks and projections came off like a chaotic , jumbled mess in our opinion! My son said "well I guess we can ride rides during the fireworks now". We will surely watch it in person, but I didn't feel the emotional tug that I feel when watching Wishes. Maybe it will grow on me.

Really wish WDW had something like world of color. Saw it once in DL and it is one of my all time favorite Disney nighttime shows.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Huh???

Just watched the video, and I have to say that it didn't "flip my switch", as it were. The projections & pyro were great, but there wasn't any cohesiveness. No real story or clear message. The narration spoke of a journey, but what journey? A journey of random Disney songs (most of which I didn't even recognize) coupled with over-the-top castle projections & fireworks designed to elicit oohs and ahhs from the crowd?

I expected better from Disney. Wishes pressed all my buttons & I ended up teary-eyed each time I viewed it. Granted, it was a bit stale after its long tenure, but you'd think the Imagineers could have come up with something a bit more engaging, given the quality of the program they were assigned to replace.

As for me, I think this will be a one-and-done. Perhaps once each trip, but I'll reserve final judgement until I see it live (Intercot 20!).
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said before I think visually it is superior to Wishes but severely lacking in story and heart. Wishes was a must for my wife and I. We would see it several times during our weeklong trips, and it was always, always how we spent our last night. I think our last night will be at Illuminations now.

And I don't want any one to think that I wouldn't of been happy with any Wishes replacement. When the castle projection show was announced I was determined to hate it. Then I saw it for the first time and my heart melted. That original song was amazing and made me fight back tears. And I think that's another reason why Happily Ever After struggles the original song is not very good.

Just very disappointed. If you are going to replace a classic like Wishes you better nail it and I don't feel like they did.

Post Thanks / Like

When the castle projection show was announced I was determined to hate it. Then I saw it for the first time and my heart melted. That original song was amazing and made me fight back tears.
    Assuming you are talking about the first projection show, The Magic The Memories & You, the audio track and the lyrics were just awesome and inspiring. I play the audio track at least 3 times a week. Love the song and the "storyline" lyrics.

A twinkle of light
    A tower so tall
    A princess prepares to have her big night at the ball
    Wish on a star, wherever you are
    You can make a favorite memory
    You sail 'round the world
    You fly through the air
    So high in the sky that you can see most anywhere
    The wind in your face
    You feel your heart race
    Every time you make a memory
    There's the place to be
    Look around and see
    Memories are forever here and now
    Millions of them, too
    Dancing next to you
    Go as far as dreaming will allow
    The pictures we make are dreams that come true
    They open a window to a memory made by you
    They shine like a friend and won't ever end
    Open up your heart and let the memories begin!

Every day a favorite memory
    Share another perfect memory
    (To all who come to this happy place... welcome!)
    Begin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZzki52WWY

Post Thanks / Like

The Disney Parks livestream didn't do it justice. They focussed so closely on the castle projections that they missed most of the pyro. If that's all you watched search out another video. The pyro is constant and very impressive. The whole show is much better and more cohesive than Disney's own stream made it appear. Don't know why Disney's one people would put on such a bad stream because the show is amazing if shown or seen correctly.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

18. Likes BrerGnat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    The Disney Parks livestream didn't do it justice. They focussed so closely on the castle projections that they missed most of the pyro. If that's all you watched search out another video. The pyro is constant and very impressive. The whole show is much better and more cohesive than Disney's own stream made it appear. Don't know why Disney's one people would put on such a bad stream because the show is amazing if shown or seen correctly.
    I completely agree. There are much better videos on You Tube. I gave up on Disney live streams a long time ago. They are always such awful angles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    Assuming you are talking about the first projection show, The Magic The Memories & You, the audio track and the lyrics were just awesome and inspiring. I play the audio track at least 3 times a week. Love the song and the "storyline" lyrics.

A twinkle of light
    A tower so tall
    A princess prepares to have her big night at the ball
    Wish on a star, wherever you are
    You can make a favorite memory
    You sail 'round the world
    You fly through the air
    So high in the sky that you can see most anywhere
    The wind in your face
    You feel your heart race
    Every time you make a memory
    There's the place to be
    Look around and see
    Memories are forever here and now
    Millions of them, too
    Dancing next to you
    Go as far as dreaming will allow

Every day a favorite memory
    Share another perfect memory
    (To all who come to this happy place... welcome!)
    Begin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZzki52WWY
    I loved it. I think it's the best version they have done. Still gets me.

HIA is just a very different kind of firework show than Wishes. And that's fine. I prefer more of s story and narrative. This seems to have the focus be on visual than storytelling. It just surprised me Disney decided to do something so different.

Post Thanks / Like

HIA is just a very different kind of firework show than Wishes. And that's fine. I prefer more of s story and narrative. This seems to have the focus be on visual than storytelling. It just surprised me Disney decided to do something so different.
    Green text: From a pure storyline / audio, I fully agree. From an image / visual imaging presentation, HEA is the best, but it should be as they have been upgrading the technology . hardware ever since MMY first began.

Red text: Really doesn't to me. I've worked parades / fireworks at MK for 8 years and my "gut" impression over the last 3 or 4 years now is that the company in general is trying to shift focus to a "different", more digital, younger generation thinking type of guest. My Magic +, cell phone apps, immersive digital style attractions rather than older style mechanical ones, digital designed visuals, more technology immersive parade design (PtN). You can see where I'm going with this. Don't get me wrong either, I love a lot of the newer stuff.

Not that all of this is wrong either, Disney / WDW is a business after all, but some of the story lines and more palatable audio (for us older folks at least) that many of us know and loved from Disney seems to be heading by the wayside.

It's funny, when I work Trolley on opening shifts, the majority of guests just blast right up Main St., noses in their phones, not really taking time to appreciate the story lines and details of the front portion of the park. For old geezers like me that grew up with the Disney shows of the early days long before WDW, sometimes I wonder why. To many guests today, Disney is an amusement park like Universal and not the "theme park" that was conceived.

Sorry, I've extended my rant too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    ...It's funny, when I work Trolley on opening shifts, the majority of guests just blast right up Main St., noses in their phones, not really taking time to appreciate the story lines and details of the front portion of the park. For old geezers like me that grew up with the Disney shows of the early days long before WDW, sometimes I wonder why...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes it's good to be an old geezer, huh? We're still able to put the technology aside & enjoy living in the REAL world, enjoying all the little things and experiences that are much more important than that latest post on Twitter.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

I keep seeing this criticism that HEA has no "story." I couldn't disagree more. This one has a very clear story and it is much more deep and powerful than "make a wish and it will come true."

This is basically a presentation of the classic "Hero's Journey" from literature. Essentially, seek your own dreams, work hard, make friends, find and give love, have courage/be brave, fight adversity, and never forget who you are. You can have your dreams but it's up to you to pursue them. They won't be granted by a magic fairy.

I found the projections and narrative were pretty clear and this is the story they were telling. I thought it was very powerful.

I urge everyone to pay attention and maybe watch the show a few times (in HD if you can) and you will get the story. It is overwhelming the first time you see it because there is a lot going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: