Quantcast First Trip with Teens Day 1

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Trip with Teens Day 1

First trip with teens: one niece turning 16 this week, the other 16, two sons, one 13 and one 19. First time at a value for all 6 nights.

Last night we walked around Disney Springs. It was nice, but I am not a mall/shopping person and this area just seems like an open air mall to me. We ate at Cooks at Dublin which offers counter service on dining plan. It was ok. The fish and chips is the thing to get in my opinion. Burger was okay, well done, with sweet chutney. not my cup of tea. Pork had fall seasoning...nutmeg? cinnamon? But the fish was good. We enjoyed walking around and I was nostalgic for my little boys making light sabers, and lego toys. I think they were missing those days too.

First impression of All Star Music-family suite. Meh. We have stayed one night at POP and one night at All Star Movies and loved both. I was so impressed with the cleanliness and theming of both. Granted this was just for one night. I don't think the theming at ASMusic is as good. The pool looks cute, but that seems to be it. When we opened the door to our room we were hit with a musty smell. The AC does't seem to get very cool. The bed side lamp is missing its switch. I saw hair on the bathroom floor. Oh, well, we are mostly just here to sleep. We are staying in suite. The 'bedroom" part of the room is fine and the bed is fine. There is a very, very thin blanket? or cover? over the sheet. It's okay. The room doesn't get really cool, so... The kids are not very impressed with the extremely thin mattresses on the fold out couch, ottoman and chair. But it all seems adequate. Someone apparently put a privacy hanger on our door knob today while we were at parks. No one in our family says they did it (but who knows?!) but no housekeeping today. Sigh. Not the best after a long day at the parks. When I said, trying to be positive, "well, it's not perfect, but it's fine since we don't spend much time at the room. Really, it's fine," my son interpreted: "that's Mama saying we'll never stay at a Value again." I had to laugh.

The day in Magic Kingdom was great. The weather was breezy and nice this a.m. We did: Space Mountain, Stitch (teens insisted), Pooh, Small World, 7DMT with FP, lunch at Be Our Guest, Thunder Mountain FP, Splash Mountain FP, Carousel of Progress.

We had a rest in the lounge in the Poly (three of the teens fell asleep in the lounge, while the adults fortified themselves with coffee) and dinner at Kona which was delicious. I recommend the Kona Sampler Sushi and Pork two ways. The yaki soba stir fry was okay. The pot stickers were good. The Volcano cake was delicious. I did experience a bit of resort envy.

We headed back to MK for our FP to Pirates. Then saw Happily Ever After. Sigh. Technically impressive and probably great for Millennials, but nothing I need to see again.

I miss Wishes.

All in all, though, it was a great day and so fun to be with my sweet Teens, so different yet wonderful in their own ways. I also kept finding myself reminiscing about when the boys were little and got their hair cut in MK, and when they fell asleep in my arms during Wishes, and how scared they were in Stitch (like all the little ones who started crying when it went dark...and by the way, when are they going to get rid of this stupid attraction?") and how they liked the bubbles, etc. It was fun not to have to go on Dumbo, and yet I also enjoyed the still-a-kid-energy of my teens when they insisted on trying to pull out the sword and ooohh, ahhed about the falling snow in Be Our Guest. Let's face it, we are all a little kid at heart in the MK.

Tomorrow- Hollywood Studios.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

2. Thanks faline, dtootsie42 thanked for this post
    Likes dtootsie42 liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are having some bittersweet moments on this trip. Sorry the room is not to your liking but I'm sure you won't be spending huge amounts of time there. Nice start to your trip. I do hope I like the new fireworks show when I get to see it - you've got me a little concerned on that score.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Are you at the Poly now for the rest of your trip? That should make the room situation a lot better! I know what you mean about missing the "old" days but I found it much more fun in a way with teens because they can do all the same stuff you can! Even if that means heading to the pool on their own for a bit when I just need a nap, LOL

Post Thanks / Like

No, not at Poly! I wish! But maintenance did come in today and replace a fan blower in AC, replace light bulbs, and housekeepers came. Two lights still don't work, but the AC does and no more musty smell. I guess they won't be upgrading us to Poly for our inconvenience!

It's fine.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Like this post!! Our three girls are now 29, 27 and 25...every time we go to Disney with them or without them my hubby starts reminiscing...it's fun to remember past visits but it's also fun to make new wonderful memories!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec 1997-Contemporary
    Dec 1999-Poly
    Dec 2001-Poly concierge
    June 2002-Disneyland (off site)
    Dec 2003-Poly concierge
    Dec 2005-Poly concierge
    Dec 2007-Poly concierge
    Oct 2008-Disneyland (off site)
    Dec 2009-Poly concierge
    Nov 2010-Disneyland Hotel
    Feb. 2012- Grand Floridian concierge celebrating 25 years of marriage just hubby and I
    September 2012- Paradise Pier
    January 2014-Grand Floridian concierge
    December 2014-Grand Californian (just us)
    Panama Canal Cruise on the Wonder August 2016
    September 2016 Boardwalk Concierge
    Next up Panama Canal Cruise April 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Behind on trip reports, can't wait to read about the rest of your adventures!
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: