Quantcast Credit card question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Credit card question

I know credit cards can be a hot button for people. I usually don't use them. I have a Chase disney debit card that is all. Due to circumstances that are too complicated to explain here, I have a roommate that is flying from Arizona to Kentucky every two weeks to see his kids. I have pay for these flights with my debit card. I saw an ad for a southwest credit card recently that gives points if you use it. I am wondering if I should pay for the flights every two weeks with the southwest credit card, get the points and pay it off every month. Then use the points to pay for our plane tickets to Disney World. Has anyone used credit card points for flights? Is there anything tricky about it, like it may not be available when we want to go or something?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For the most part our Jet Blue trips are paid for either with AMEX points or Disney Premier $$. With JB I've not had a problem getting the flights we've wanted but all airlines aren't the same. I charge just about everything (utilities and groceries included) on those two cards. I do pay fees for both cards ($195 for AMEX and $49 for Disney Premier) but this year I booked 7 tickets with extra space on points. I do tend to use my cards similar to a debit card and pay it as the charge comes through so no interest. You need to sit down and run the numbers for the card and airline. For example, I've had a terrible time trying to use United points earned from flying and most end up expiring.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

All the time. I have the Southwest Visa, but also a Chase Sapphire Reserve, which I can transfer points to Southwest from.

Southwest is one of the best frequent flier programs in terms of ease of use and being able to book flights on points. Points never expire once they are in your Rapid Rewards account.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

5. Likes Tink1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two credit cards that have 1.5% cash back on everything, every purchase and during holiday shopping season (last quarter of the year) one of them usually has a bonus cash back of at least an additional 1% but sometimes double cash back for a total of 3%. I pay for everything every month with it including all the bills I can pay and then I just pay the entire balance every month. I never pay a penny in interest. I usually end up with over $2000 cash back per year that I can use for whatever I like. I have just been putting it in a savings account.

One of the best airline miles cards out there is the Capital One Venture card. One of my friends has one of them and uses the miles for airline flights every year. There are two versions of the Venture Card and one is better but has a higher annual fee so you have to do the math estimating how much you will spend annually on it to be sure you are getting the best bang for the buck. I think one has a $49 per year annual fee and the other $99. He has the one with the higher annual fee because he pays for so much with it, he by far overcomes the higher annual fee and accrues more points.

I personally don't like having a credit card tied to one particular company like a Southwest card because it influences your decisions when purchasing things of that sort. Of course, that is why companies offer cards with their brand and their own points, they want to influence your purchasing decisions and lock you in. I prefer cards with cashback as the primary option with maybe the option to switch to airline miles if you choose but with cashback, I can save it or buy whatever I want.

7. Likes BrerGnat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Branded cards often offer amazing bonus sign ups, though. So, I get them, use the bonus, and just keep the account open if the brand is one I frequently use (Disney stuff is an ongoing expense in our home) or close the account if the card doesn't benefit me anymore. I still have my Southwest card even though I don't use it because they give miles on your anniversary that are equal to the annual fee cost so the card is a wash. Plus, you get drink coupons and occasional bonus points offers as well. My Disney card (2% on groceries, gas, and Disney purchasea) saves me several hundred dollars per year on the purchase of our Disneyland annual passes. My Chase Sapphire Reserve (3% on travel and dining) came with a 100,000 point sign up bonus.. $1500 towards travel redeemed through their booking portal, as well as a yearly $300 travel credit and many, many other perks. I currently have $2200 worth of free travel on that card after 8 months of being a cardmember.

Credit card churning can be a very lucrative hobby, if you have excellent credit and can pay in full every month to avoid paying interest charges.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I really like flying Southwest. I know not everyone likes the way they do their seating, but I do.

I know a lot of people are very credit card savvy, but I have to keep it very simple. Due to the medical issues I had, my memory is shot, and I wouldn't remember to pay the bill. (in case you are wondering, my long term memory is intact, so I remember things I owed before I got so sick like my mortgage, etc. My insurance guy (who I completely adore for how patient he is with me) sends me an email every month reminding me to pay my home/car/life insurance.) My friend who is making the flights to Kentucky said he would help me remember to pay the credit card bill for the flights each month.
    I am still pretty nervous about it, but it is good to know a lot of people are successful with doing this. The offer I saw lasts until June 29, so I have a little bit to think about it, compare prices on different airlines and decide which one I would want if I decide to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Thanks everyone. I really like flying Southwest. I know not everyone likes the way they do their seating, but I do.

I know a lot of people are very credit card savvy, but I have to keep it very simple. Due to the medical issues I had, my memory is shot, and I wouldn't remember to pay the bill. (in case you are wondering, my long term memory is intact, so I remember things I owed before I got so sick like my mortgage, etc. My insurance guy (who I completely adore for how patient he is with me) sends me an email every month reminding me to pay my home/car/life insurance.) My friend who is making the flights to Kentucky said he would help me remember to pay the credit card bill for the flights each month.
    I am still pretty nervous about it, but it is good to know a lot of people are successful with doing this. The offer I saw lasts until June 29, so I have a little bit to think about it, compare prices on different airlines and decide which one I would want if I decide to do it.
    I have so much going on, it is hard to keep track of it all without scheduling software. For recurring bills, I have an app on my phone called "Bills Reminder." You can set it to start reminding you days or weeks before a bill is due. I have mine set to remind me every morning at 8:00AM which is the time I already have the work rolling and I am on the computer checking emails and what not. It reminds me and I pay the bill while I am on the computer or with a phone app if applicable.

11. Likes luvdiznee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I auto pay the majority of my bills. I only have a few that I manually pay online these days.

I also have a spreadsheet system for paying bills. I couldn't keep it all straight without it.

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Southwest Chase and just booked our flights to WDW using our points. It's so easy to do online, and they have a good cancellation policy. I set up everything on auto-pay so I don't forget.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with auto-pay. We only use a couple of credit cards and the accounts are set up to payoff the balance each month. That being said, I still use a reminder app on my phone to verify my bills are getting paid when they're due.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Chase Freedom Unlimited and just applied for the SW with the bonus points and was approved (yay) but just wondering can I transfer my points from the Chase card to the SW card ?
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I have so much going on, it is hard to keep track of it all without scheduling software. For recurring bills, I have an app on my phone called "Bills Reminder." You can set it to start reminding you days or weeks before a bill is due. I have mine set to remind me every morning at 8:00AM which is the time I already have the work rolling and I am on the computer checking emails and what not. It reminds me and I pay the bill while I am on the computer or with a phone app if applicable.
    Oh this could be AMAZING in my life! Thank you so much for telling me.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to clarify something. I know you are supposed to "pay it off" at the end of the month. Does that mean when you get the bill or do you have to pay it before the bill comes to avoid the interest?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I would like to clarify something. I know you are supposed to "pay it off" at the end of the month. Does that mean when you get the bill or do you have to pay it before the bill comes to avoid the interest?
    Pay the full balance on your statement for that month by the due date. Now if you ever let a balance carry over to the next month and are charged interest, you will have to pay the entire account balance to $0 and remain at $0 until your statement date which is typically about 3 days after your payment due date. If you don't pay it to $0 and keep it there until the statement date, they will charge you interest on the average daily balance for the month and keep doing so until you have a $0 balance on your statement date one month. This is one of the little slimy banking tricks that they use to hit you for interest charges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvdiznee View Post
    I have a Chase Freedom Unlimited and just applied for the SW with the bonus points and was approved (yay) but just wondering can I transfer my points from the Chase card to the SW card ?
    You can't transfer the points to another card, but you can convert Chase points to Southwest points and transfer them to your Southwest account. You also need to do that to use the points that you get on the Southwest Card.

Natalie

20. Thanks luvdiznee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    You can't transfer the points to another card, but you can convert Chase points to Southwest points and transfer them to your Southwest account. You also need to do that to use the points that you get on the Southwest Card.

So I can continue to earn points through Chase then convert to ask then transfer to SW...Is this the better route in your opinion...Thanks
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Your wording is a little unclear (convert to ask?)

I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. One of the airline partners is, naturally, Southwest (since they have the branded credit card). If I go to "use points" in the Chase rewards portal, one of my options is to transfer them to my Southwest Rapid Rewards account at a 1:1 exchange ratio. I also have a Southwest Credit Card. I believe that one automatically deposits the points into my Rapid Rewards account each billing cycle. You have to link the card to your RR account and it should be automatic, I believe.

It depends on which card gives you the better earnings percentage. If your Chase Freedom Unlimited gives you better earnings, it is better to use that card and then just transfer the points to SW rapid rewards account as needed. However, using the Southwest Card when PURCHASING tickets gets you bonus points, usually, so always look to see what the better option is.
    Natalie

23. Thanks luvdiznee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Your wording is a little unclear (convert to ask?)

I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. One of the airline partners is, naturally, Southwest (since they have the branded credit card). If I go to "use points" in the Chase rewards portal, one of my options is to transfer them to my Southwest Rapid Rewards account at a 1:1 exchange ratio. I also have a Southwest Credit Card. I believe that one automatically deposits the points into my Rapid Rewards account each billing cycle. You have to link the card to your RR account and it should be automatic, I believe.

It depends on which card gives you the better earnings percentage. If your Chase Freedom Unlimited gives you better earnings, it is better to use that card and then just transfer the points to SW rapid rewards account as needed. However, using the Southwest Card when PURCHASING tickets gets you bonus points, usually, so always look to see what the better option is.
    Oh wow...sorry..."convert to then add" is what I meant...that's a smartphone for you. But you answered my question in full. Thank you
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)

25. Likes BrerGnat liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: