Quantcast Walt Disney World to Crack Down on Guests Taking Advantage of FastPass+ System

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Walt Disney World to Crack Down on Guests Taking Advantage of FastPass+ System

Thought this was interesting and probably a good thing...

It only takes a few selfish individuals to ruin something for the rest of us...

Walt Disney World to Crack Down on Guests Taking Advantage of FastPass+ System
    Posted by: Christy Caby

There have been numerous guests and unofficial tour guides that take advantage of the FastPass+ System at Walt Disney World. This has been occurring since the system first launched. How they have been doing it is by using second tickets that haven’t been scanned yet at the park entrance to obtain extra FastPass+ selections in addition to the 3 that they get for the admission that they used to get into the park. There are also guests that have a buddy with an Annual Pass book them FastPass+ and give them their band to utilize the FastPass+ selections, even if that person didn’t enter the park. This results in these guests getting extra FastPass+ selections, thus resulting in other guests not getting selections for desired attractions.

Walt Disney World has decided to crack down on this by confirming if the ticket linked to the FastPass+ was activated at the park that day. If the FastPass+ is linked to a ticket that wasn’t scanned in, even for an Annual Passholder that hasn’t going through park entry for the day, the guest won’t be allowed to use the FastPass+ and will be directly to the standby line. If a guest is a frequent violator of this rule, their My Disney Experience account will also be locked out. The is now word yet on what the guidelines will be to have the account reactivated, but they will have to work with Guest Relations and/or the support help for My Disney Experience to obtain access to their account.

This new policy will hopefully crack down on those out there abusing the system and make it easier for all guests to get some of their desired FastPass+ selections during their visit. What do you all think about this change?
    Please feel free to move this if I have put it in the wrong forum.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

2. Thanks luvdiznee thanked for this post
    Likes VWL Mom, baldburke liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

"Nothing is foolproof, fools are too ingenious."
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I actually thought that already was the policy - that you had to have a activated ticket to use the fast passes on a given day. I guess that was easier to enforce when you had to run the actual ticket through a kiosk for a paper fast pass. I hope they tighten this up quickly. It shouldn't be too difficult to enforce with this new system.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad they are cracking down - that gives everyone a better chance at getting the fast passes they want. Of course, someone will figure out a way to cheat - they always do! But, at least Disney is addressing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad they're doing this. I don't know how big of a problem it is, but it's been an issue for as long as Fastpass+ has been around. I feel like I contacted Disney over a year ago about this and got a call back that they were working on it. Better late than never right?

Post Thanks / Like

I am assuming it is a hack they are using to get more FP+? Will the average user notice a difference or will you still by stuck riding 7DMT at 10:45 PM instead of 10:45 AM when you wanted to?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    I am assuming it is a hack they are using to get more FP+? Will the average user notice a difference or will you still by stuck riding 7DMT at 10:45 PM instead of 10:45 AM when you wanted to?
    It depends on how many people are cheating the system. If it is only a dozen or so each day, the average guest will not notice. If it is hundreds of people each day then yes, the average guest will eventually notice, as word gets out that this hack no longer works. Initially, the multiple fastpass times will still be taken up, just no one will use them.

My guess is that it is hundreds of people doing this every day, if it was only a few people each day Disney would not waste the resources to fix the problem.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

10. Thanks baldburke thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toodle View Post
    I'm glad they are cracking down - that gives everyone a better chance at getting the fast passes they want. Of course, someone will figure out a way to cheat - they always do! But, at least Disney is addressing it.
    Unfortunately, you are correct. Worse yet, with the rise of social media they share it with the world. So instead of one person cheating the system (which almost no one would notice), you get 100's of people cheating the system.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that explains a lot. I just assumed they were giving out too many fastpasses for all the attractions or something. It didn't make sense how long all the lines were all the time when it is obvious the park isn't as packed.

I just assumed the system was designed this way from the beginning. Why in the world was is not is beyond me. I am glad I didn't even hear about this loophole because we always have multiple tickets on our account and it would have been way to tempting to do this.

I am glad they are cracking down.

Post Thanks / Like

So, could you still buy 2 tickets to double up on FPs? Use your left hand on one ticket, right on another?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    So, could you still buy 2 tickets to double up on FPs? Use your left hand on one ticket, right on another?
    As long as you went through the turnstiles twice and activated or used one day from each ticket, but why would you?? Pay two entrance fees to get extra FP??
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not even quite understanding why someone would HAVE extra tickets they aren't using....I get the Annual Passholder thing but I'm confused about the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Ironically, this is the way the old paper system was. A few years back, my daughter's ticket wouldn't work at the park entrance and they had to manually override it each day. However, each time she tried to get a paper FastPass ticket, the machine wouldn't except her ticket because that ticket hadn't "officially" entered the park. We ended up getting her ticket replaced.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

<BEGIN MINI-RANT>

I am totally over Fastpass. Any kind of Fastpass ... paper ... + ... whatever. Just WAIT IN LINE for heaven's sake!! It worked in Disneyland for like 50 years, so what now all of a sudden we're too special to just wait in line for a ride. I firmly believe that if they got rid of Fastpass the lines would settle in and everything would have a much more modest wait.

This is supposed to be a VACATION!! Relaxing, enjoyable, away from all the craziness of regular life and I swear it's gotten to the point where the "vacation" is more stressful than work! Worrying about Fastpasses so much you stoop to scamming the system??? Look at all the crazy lengths people go to to get ADR's?!?! I mean it's risen to the level of absurdity.

Put it back the way it was. No ADR's. No Fastpasses. Just go, relax, enjoy yourself, and de-stress. Eliminate the need for a Microsoft Project Plan for vacations, Disney, I beg of you!

</Mini-rant over>
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

18. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    <BEGIN MINI-RANT>

I firmly believe that if they got rid of Fastpass the lines would settle in and everything would have a much more modest wait.

</Mini-rant over>
    I believe you are correct here, the lines tend to "self regulate" themselves without any FastPass type system. The sad thing is they are more likely implement a fee based FassPass system (the more you pay the more you get) instead of going back to none at all.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

<BEGIN MINI-RANT>

I am totally over Fastpass. Any kind of Fastpass ... paper ... + ... whatever. Just WAIT IN LINE for heaven's sake!! It worked in Disneyland for like 50 years, so what now all of a sudden we're too special to just wait in line for a ride. I firmly believe that if they got rid of Fastpass the lines would settle in and everything would have a much more modest wait.

This is supposed to be a VACATION!! Relaxing, enjoyable, away from all the craziness of regular life and I swear it's gotten to the point where the "vacation" is more stressful than work! Worrying about Fastpasses so much you stoop to scamming the system??? Look at all the crazy lengths people go to to get ADR's?!?! I mean it's risen to the level of absurdity.

Put it back the way it was. No ADR's. No Fastpasses. Just go, relax, enjoy yourself, and de-stress. Eliminate the need for a Microsoft Project Plan for vacations, Disney, I beg of you!

</Mini-rant over>
    Ian, in a lot of respects I agree with you whole-heartedly, but I understand what Disney did (or at least their thought processes) with these FastPasses as well. It started out, as you well know, as a perk for Disney Resort guests, but turned into a monster. I don't think they really understood how many guests were staying at Disney Resorts. When they opened it up to everyone, it just became unmanageable. [That thing that beavers make {The word I would have used would have been censored! LOL} broke and flooded the FP queues.]

In my opinion, (and we all know what that's worth! LOL) they could do something like the YoaMD park 'pass' (I believe it was called a 'MagicPass' or something to that effect) and issue every resort guest one per park for their visit. Have all the major attractions on the pass and let them be used at any time for 'front of the line' access one time only. That way every resort guest could have access to the 'E-ticket' attractions one time per visit, guaranteed. This would be a definite perk for those staying 'On Property' and, possibly, eliminate or manage some of the queue backups. If you Park Hop, you could still use the 'pass' for that park, but with the knowledge that it would still be 'one and done.'

ADRs, yeah, they could go away, but would you stand in a queue for any extended period of time for a restaurant? OR could you think of traipsing around a park (like World Showcase) for any length of time to find a table service restaurant that had an opening? If they did something like that, even if they allowed 'same-day' reservations, they would have to do away with 'Free Dining' except for Counter Service. Maybe that would be a good thing, maybe not.

In the long run, these 'perks' have nothing to do with the visitor, but more to do with park, and restaurant, management, and have proved to be less than effective, or popular, to most regular guests.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

<BEGIN MINI-RANT>

</Mini-rant over>
    I 100% agree. I was saying this as soon as they started announcing FP+. I knew it was going to be an irritating mess to deal with.

The thing about the attractions and fastpasses is that the attractions have a maximum throughput per hour. No matter what kind of passes, que lines or special tickets they throw out there, it does not change how many guests can go through any particular attraction per hour. All fastpasses do is give you a false warm and fuzzy feeling when you get to go through a few attractions without waiting a very long time (although now, they are allowing so many fastpasses that you even have moderate waits in the so called "fastpass" lines). The trade off to that short wait in a few attractions is an extremely long wait in the rest that you didn't have fastpasses. Regardless, guests are going to have an average wait time of roughly the same amount with or without any fastpasses at all with the exception of locals or others that show up, do their 3 fastpasses and leave.......Those are the only people that truly benefit from the system.

22. Likes j2k, Park Hopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with Ian. I really miss the spontaneity. There are so many things that I dislike about the Fastpass+ system and the 180 days out for ADR. I am also convinced that it creates longer lines. I think this is especially true about rides that never had Fastpass to begin with. I liked the old Fastpass system. That way you could be spontaneous about what park you wanted to visit but still have some rides where you didn't have to wait.

However, someone else posted that Fastpass was originally only for Disney Resort Guests. I don't think that this is true. I believe it was true for Fastpass+ but never the original Fastpass system.

This whole vacation has me totally stressed out with spreadsheets and "plan a" and "plan b". I am so frustrated with the ADRs as well. I remember when the only place you needed a reservation for was for character dining. Now we have to decide where we want to eat six months out and pray that you don't oversleep, your internet doesn't go out,and that there isn't a glitch in the MDE system. Turns out that people cheat the ADR system as well?

Now they make everything so complicated and people have developed these crazy ways to cheat the system. I had no idea that this was going on. This is just sad, sad , sad. It is just as sad as people faking a disability to cut lines. It makes life difficult for those who really tried to do the right thing.

On the other hand I have friends who are Disney newbies and will probably only go once. They love the Fastpass+ system.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

24. Likes Park Hopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

<BEGIN MINI-RANT>

</Mini-rant over>
    I have been saying something similar to this for years. In Disneyworld they went almost 30 years without a fastpass system. And from 1982 till the Fastpass system was implemented (I don't remember which year that was I want to say 1999, but I am not sure), most attractions topped out at a 45 minute wait (dumbo always seemed to be an exception).

Prior to 1982, your admission ticket did not include all the attractions you had to purchase the A-E ticket books, which really limited the time you had to wait for most things (again except for Dumbo, that always had a huge line when I was a kid). Most people did not want to have to buy more tickets to ride something a second or third time.

As for the current state of Dining, I believe that has more to do with Disney Dining Plan than the ADR system. Prior to DDP you used to be able to get dining reservations for most restaurants when you arrived at the park (I used to call WDW-DINE from my hotel room when I got up in the morning). With the DDP everyone needs to make sure they have their dining booked to use up all their credits.

26. Likes Park Hopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the beginning phase of planning our upcoming December trip and I hate that I have to make my ADRs already this week. I miss the days of planning only a couple months in advance. I don't want to plan my days around where I eat, I want to plan my meals around where I'm at. Of course, I guess we could just eat at counter service locations and that would take care of the problem. I haven't even begun to think about what and where we want our fast passes each day. Too much stress planning a WDW vacation anymore. BUT, I am still thankful that we can even go to WDW as I know it's only a dream for some families.
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

28. Likes waymickey, MattHolst liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: