Quantcast Magic Kingdom & Disneyland to Alter Memorable Scene of Pirates of the Caribbean - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I am late to the thread, but agree with most everyone else. Where do you draw the line for that ride? Murder (Pirate skeleton with sword through it, Mermaid skeleton), arson, robbery, giving alcohol to animals, etc.... Why not get rid of all things not PC in Disney? The bride in HM is far more graphic, but I guess killing husbands does not rank as high on the PC scale as a subtle auction that no kid under age of 10 or so would comprehend.

I am personally offended by the bigger dinosaur being a bully and eating the smaller dinosaur on the Dinosaur ride. Maybe they should change that scene too and show the two dinosaurs working together to resolve their differences.

I respect Disney for trying to make the parks family friendly for everyone, but at some point parents need to be parents and decided if a ride is too scary or thought provoking for their kids. I believe they are making things worse as they are putting a PC band aid on a scene for a ride that is based upon a topic that is certainly not PC. Disney is quite hypocritical in profiting off of the glorification of Pirates and feudalism (Princesses) on one hand while trying to act ultra PC on the other.

2. Likes Lindsey, MattHolst liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a lot to add here from me ... I echo John's sentiments and actually feel like Natalie really hit the nail on the head with her post.

I'd also like to know why it's perfectly acceptable to water board the mayor in the second scene but not to auction off the redhead in the third?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

5. Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Redheads are better than politicians :P
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

California...

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I think people are conveniently nostalgic when it's consistent with their preconceptions of "good" nostalgia, and then cling hard to Disney's notion of "it's never finished" when changes are the same "good" kind of progress. There were already tonal changes to the ride: who's getting chased by what, for example. Substantive changes, too: isn't a movie character based on a ride being in the ride the very definition of a snake eating its own tail?

It's a change that doesn't necessarily alter the theme of the ride: the pirates are there, and they're behind some silly mischief, including widespread arson. Carlos will still be entreated to not be a cheeeecken. A pirate will still be so drunk, he sleeps in pig spoor. Dead men will continue to not tell tales. The sky didn't fall when Captain Jack turned the ride into a companion piece to Pirates of the Caribbean 9: A Long Wait At Lenscrafters Me Hearties. This is making Space Mountain out of Space Molehill.
    I vacation like it's a full-time job. If only it really was.

9. Likes Wayne, Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bird Street View Post
    Eh, I think people are conveniently nostalgic when it's consistent with their preconceptions of "good" nostalgia, and then cling hard to Disney's notion of "it's never finished" when changes are the same "good" kind of progress. There were already tonal changes to the ride: who's getting chased by what, for example. Substantive changes, too: isn't a movie character based on a ride being in the ride the very definition of a snake eating its own tail?

It's a change that doesn't necessarily alter the theme of the ride: the pirates are there, and they're behind some silly mischief, including widespread arson. Carlos will still be entreated to not be a cheeeecken. A pirate will still be so drunk, he sleeps in pig spoor. Dead men will continue to not tell tales. The sky didn't fall when Captain Jack turned the ride into a companion piece to Pirates of the Caribbean 9: A Long Wait At Lenscrafters Me Hearties. This is making Space Mountain out of Space Molehill.
    Actually, I disagree with this statement. I did not like the changes they have done so far, such as making the women chase the men and adding Johnny Depp. I liked the ride the way it was. That is why I rode it.
    I think the "mist screen" in the ride is a pretty awesome idea, but I would have been much happier if they left it out of Pirates and used it in another ride. I like mermaids, but I don't think adding them due to them being in one of the movies is a good thing.
    It doesn't have anything to do with my perception of what is morally "good" and what isn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not a lot to add here from me ... I echo John's sentiments and actually feel like Natalie really hit the nail on the head with her post.

I'd also like to know why it's perfectly acceptable to water board the mayor in the second scene but not to auction off the redhead in the third?
    Waterboarding is not torture.

Also, I don't agree putting Jack in the ride was a great move. I would have preferred creating a ride based on the new POTC movies, Like POTC the adventure continues or something and put in the Shanghai version.

BUt editing a classic seems wrong to me. Other, less iconic or even newer attractions are fine. But some are too iconic, or staples of the WDW experience I feel should be left alone. I look at it like McDonalds. They can change anything on the menu, but just not the Big Mac, nuggets or Fries. Thats what they do. Companies that change something core, like when Coke introduced New Coke, well, learned quickly.

These changes can make something for the now, but isn't it heavy nostalgia that brought us back after visiting at kids?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    On a sort of related subject...why can't parents just let kids be innocent anymore? This seemingly bothers parents who feel that they shouldn't have to explain human trafficking to their kindergartner at WDW. Then don't! Seriously, let them ride pirates and let it go over their heads, like it did for millions of other kids. When they are adults they will figure it out and realize they enjoyed the ride as kids and had NO IDEA about any of this "dark matter." All I remember as a kid is how much I LOVED the song and how cool that fire scene looked. My kids have ridden it and I certainly haven't piped up afterwards and said, "weren't you horrified to see such violence and horrible mistreatment of women? You know that bride auction scene is a demonstration of human trafficking. How does that make you feel?"

Seriously. Kids don't know any better. And adults should know enough to just accept it for what it is...a THEME PARK RIDE, not a political commentary.
    This is spot on and I couldn't say it any better. I'm all for teachable moments, but never has it occurred to me to dive into deep and serious conversations with my kids about the world's injustices while enjoying the day at Disney or any theme park. I've been going on Pirate's since I was 2 and even to this day I have never taken that scene too seriously or given it much deep thought. This change won't ruin the attraction for me and it will always be one of my favorites, but people have to lighten up a bit and stop taking everything so seriously.
    - Brian

First WDW visit: 1984, Village Resort
    Last WDW visit: 2015, Caribbean Beach
    Next WDW visit: 2018, Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Totally see both sides to this. I am shocked that they're changing the scene. But, I can understand where they're coming from. It's sure not going to ruin the ride for me though. Sometimes we cling to things too much just because that's the way it originally was.

And, have to thank everyone who posted here because you guys made me giggle! Two pages of complaints about "the complainers". And, hands down my favorite line - making things nicer to the detriment of us all. And, I am not making fun of anyone, I swear. Disney people are dead serious about their love of all things WDW and I'm right there with you. This was a genuine thank you for making me giggle. :-)
    Susanne

14. Likes njespers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

guns are ok though...
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

16. Likes BrerGnat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    guns are ok though...
    This is such an American thing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    guns are ok though...
    Absolutely.

Red probably has a derringer in her garter.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I've come to this super, super late. Indeed I believe that the decision may even have been reversed from the rumours I now hear. But I haven't been on the boards in a while and find this to be a really interesting topic: and it's a rather serious one actually, hence why it brings up such strong opinion - which I'd like to humbly bring my own to. I apologies ahead of time if I end up sounding like a complete gasbag on this.

For those who don't want to bother with my argument on the whole my summary is this.......I would much rather the ride had never changed from its original version, but in its current form there's definitely something odd about the ride that probably needs changing on a more fundamental level than just this.

There is a considerable dissonance in having Pirates as role-model figures in the way that they are in current pop culture. To deny that is a little absurd. I heard someone mention before the notion of shootouts in Frontierland and such, but really figures of most kinds in the old west fall into a shades-of-grey morality. Cowboys can be heroes, Sherrifs, even Outlaws if the story is framed correctly. Pirates on the other hand are and were mercenaries at absolute best and fundamentally evil people at worst.

A story like the POTC films can work of course, because they're set in a fantastical world that doesn't have the same rules as out own. Under those rules Jack Sparrow can be slotted into an anti-hero role and the idea of "good" pirates can work.

But the old ride was, kind of, rooted in the real world. It shows a pirate assault on a Caribbean town. We weren't asked to identify with anyone, or root for anyone. It was an adventure ride.....a fantastic one. It showed - sort of - the way things were, albeit watered down for a family-appropriate experience.

But the moment Sparrow was overlaid onto the attraction there's a problem. The moment that happens we are designed to root for the pirates. The pirates are the cool ones.

So if the pirates are the cool ones them doing the essentially evil things they're doing doesn't really make sense. Or at least it's incredibly distasteful.

If the Sparrow overlay had changed the attraction completely to just be themed based on the films then that would make some kind of sense. The narrative could have been totally rewritten to involve some kind of Jack Sparrow-esque shenanigans in a port town.....but I doubt that the narrative of a Sparrow story from scratch would have just been to attack a quiet town, set it on flame, capture all the villagers and steal everything in the town.

Keeping the attraction as it was would have been fine, pirates-chasing-women and all. Nobody's good - or evil for that matter - it's just an adventure ride through an exciting fictionalised version of history. Ok, maybe throw a warning somewhere regarding the content, but on the whole there's no problem here.

Changing the attraction so much that it's just a fantasy story featuring Jack Sparrow would also have been fine. I mean, it wouldn't because it would have got rid of a classic beloved ride, but this specific issue wouldn't have come up.

But overlaying the attraction with a protagonist pirate and with that making the pirates the clear figures of identification for the audience; while retaining the objectively evil moral compass off the rest of the storyline....I get why people would find that very uncomfortable.

In spite and because of it's strange moral compass: Of all the rides in Disney that never should have changed, it was this one.
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

20. Likes Mendelson, texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well now I not only want to keep my redhead, now I want to take out the Jack Sparrow nonsense..

Revolution!!!!

===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Well now I not only want to keep my redhead, now I want to take out the Jack Sparrow nonsense..

Revolution!!!!

I'm always down with taking Jack Sparrow out.

We Wants The Redhead!!

Post Thanks / Like

Alas, there’s nothing that can be done. They’re going to do it no matter how much loyals to the park hate it. The attitude seems to be, make everything politically correct and if you don’t like it, we don’t care.

Post Thanks / Like

Me wants the Redhead!!!! Me wants the Redhead!!!!
    Rob
    1. '66 Preview Center(baby),'71,'76,'86,'94-Offsite
    2. '95 AS Mus,'96 AS Sport,'97 AS Mov
    3. '99 CSR,'2000 CBR
    4. '01 AS Mov,'02 AS Mov
    5. '03-'04 Pop,CHRISTmas,New Years,Collective Soul
    6. '04 Pop,Halloween
    7. '05,'06,'07,'10 Pop,CHRISTmas
    8. '11 Pop,New Years,15th Wedding Anniversary

25. Likes magicofdisney liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattHolst View Post
    Alas, there’s nothing that can be done. They’re going to do it no matter how much loyals to the park hate it. The attitude seems to be, make everything politically correct and if you don’t like it, we don’t care.
    The way of the world...
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

It is becoming increasingly difficult to understand how these pirates are really bad eggs.

28. Likes Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aye but their loved by their mommies and dads

30. Likes Tekneek, Isabella liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: