Quantcast Disney Vacation Club Announces its 15th Resort, The Disney Riviera Resort

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney Vacation Club Announces its 15th Resort, The Disney Riviera Resort

The Disney Vacation Club has announced their 15th Resort:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vacation Club
    Disney Vacation Club Announces Next Planned Development: Disney Riviera Resort

New Skyway of Gondolas will Connect Resort to Theme Parks

CELEBRATION, Fla., July 15, 2017 -- Today at D23 Expo in Anaheim, Calif., Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, announced the next planned development for Disney Vacation Club will be an entirely new resort near Epcot called Disney Riviera Resort and that a new skyway transportation system will connect the new resort to other areas on Walt Disney World property.

"We're thrilled to announce plans for a new Disney Vacation Club property called Disney Riviera Resort coming to Walt Disney World Resort," Chapek said. "Our Vacation Club Members are among our most loyal fans, and we think that they will love what we have planned, especially the rooftop restaurant that will offer unbelievable views of nighttime spectaculars at both Epcot and Hollywood Studios."

In addition, Chapek announced that a whole new transportation system of gondolas is planned, called the Disney Skyliner, to give guests a never-before-seen birds-eye view of Walt Disney World and connect the new Disney Vacation Club property, Disney's Art of Animation, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach resorts with Disney's Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at Epcot.

Estimated to open in fall 2019, this new resort experience is slated to be the 15th Disney Vacation Club property with approximately 300 units spread across a variety of accommodation types.

On July 17, Disney Vacation Club will welcome its 14th resort with the opening of Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, featuring 184 rustically elegant vacation accommodations including Deluxe Studios, one- and two-bedroom Villas, three-bedroom Grand Villas and unique waterfront cabins.

Ken Potrock, Senior Vice President & General Manager of Disney Vacation Club, said, "The opening of Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge in just a few days and the announcement of our next planned development, Disney Riviera Resort, demonstrate the incredible momentum underway at Disney Vacation Club. Our members tell us over and over again how much they love the outstanding accommodations and the value and flexibility of a Disney Vacation Club Membership, as well as the unique location to our growing and evolving theme parks and the exclusive member experiences and benefits they get from our Membership Extras program."

ABOUT DISNEY VACATION CLUB
    Disney Vacation Club, a leader in vacation ownership, debuted in 1991 with a flexible, vacation points-based system rather than the traditional fixed-week timeshare model. Today, Disney Vacation Club has more than 220,000 member families, from all 50 states and approximately 100 countries, who have discovered the joys of membership.

Disney Vacation Club Members are able to choose from among a variety of exciting vacation destinations, including a stay at any Disney Vacation Club Resort or one of thousands of other vacation options in destinations around the world. Plus, when purchasing directly from Disney, members can also enjoy the Disney Collection, which includes select Disney Resort hotels, Disney Cruise Line and guided vacations with Adventures by Disney, as well as the Concierge Collection, a portfolio of extraordinary hotels in sought-after destinations. Vacations at a Disney Vacation Club Resort can last anywhere from one night to several weeks.

With Disney Vacation Club properties located near the Disney theme parks in Florida and California, Members have easy access to new and innovative attractions on both coasts for years to come. For more information, visit www.disneyvacationclub.com.

Name:  Disney-Riviera-Resort_Full_30590.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  52.1 KB
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This was more a confirmation than an announcement, it's been out there for quite a while. An announcement should have included answers to some of the questions DVCers have been asking. I guess the good news would be they're building instead of renovating.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

4. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    This was more a confirmation than an announcement, it's been out there for quite a while. An announcement should have included answers to some of the questions DVCers have been asking. I guess the good news would be they're building instead of renovating.
    I too, would have liked a few more details, but I think the wording of the announcement and the release of some artwork, has at least answered one question (well maybe two) - this will NOT be part of Caribbean Beach, and it won't be a "moderate" DVC property.

My hope is that since they're building new, they will be a tad more creative with room layouts and not continue the incredibly boring "everything has to be a rectangle and we have only one template for using that space" approach. Probably a dream, I know.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    I too, would have liked a few more details, but I think the wording of the announcement and the release of some artwork, has at least answered one question (well maybe two) - this will NOT be part of Caribbean Beach, and it won't be a "moderate" DVC property.

My hope is that since they're building new, they will be a tad more creative with room layouts and not continue the incredibly boring "everything has to be a rectangle and we have only one template for using that space" approach. Probably a dream, I know.

Steve
    But is this being built on land that was previously the Caribbean Beach? Or is this something totally separate? Didn't they knock down basically an entire section of CBR? I thought they were building a tower there (like at Coronado). Is there really enough room for a completely new resort that close to CBR?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    But is this being built on land that was previously the Caribbean Beach? Or is this something totally separate? Didn't they knock down basically an entire section of CBR? I thought they were building a tower there (like at Coronado). Is there really enough room for a completely new resort that close to CBR?

See, these are the type of questions I was referring to that have been circulating for a while. First there was talk of putting it where they razed CBR buildings and then they was talk of building it on a plot of land across the street. Is the tower we expected to be belong to CBR actually be DVC just located on that property?? I was trying to follow along with all the twitter feeds I had going yesterday while I was posting and I'm still not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    I think the moderate DVC was shot down a while ago because of points. How would they value the points to use at another resort?

Should be interesting to see how it pans out location wise.
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 07-16-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Well, from the gondola announcement, Disney put up a graphic of the map for the system and there was a stop labeled "Riviera Resort" and it was at the northern end of CBS, so I think it will go in the space where they are doing demolition work. Seems weird if they will be separate resorts. The themes don't match...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Well, from the gondola announcement, Disney put up a graphic of the map for the system and there was a stop labeled "Riviera Resort" and it was at the northern end of CBS, so I think it will go in the space where they are doing demolition work. Seems weird if they will be separate resorts. The themes don't match...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I took the same thing from what I've been reading today, it's being built on CBR property. As far as the theming people are saying Riviera as in Mexican Riviera so somewhat compatible to Caribbean Beach.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat
    Well, from the gondola announcement, Disney put up a graphic of the map for the system and there was a stop labeled "Riviera Resort" and it was at the northern end of CBS, so I think it will go in the space where they are doing demolition work. Seems weird if they will be separate resorts.
    Yes, The Disney Riviera Resort is expected to be built on the recently razed villages of Disney's Caribbean Beach resort due to the description of it being on the new Disney Skyliner loop.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I took the same thing from what I've been reading today, it's being built on CBR property. As far as the theming people are saying Riviera as in Mexican Riviera so somewhat compatible to Caribbean Beach.
    Um, okay. Disney is really pushing the boundaries with things "fitting" places...

Natalie

12. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a massive resort building ... that whole resort area and the gondola is going to be chaos will all those people.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    That looks like a massive resort building ... that whole resort area and the gondola is going to be chaos will all those people.
    The DVC building will have 300 units, if it is replacing 2 CBR buildings (app 700 rooms) it could be a swap body wise depending on how many studios/1bdrm/2brdm/gv are built.

Interesting to note here is that with this change that's 700 more resort rooms being taken out of service. First the Poly buildings, then ½ of WL, and now this.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat
    Um, okay. Disney is really pushing the boundaries with things "fitting" places.
    If the Customs House were to relocate as part of the Caribbean Beach renovations, they could re-draw the map as below (Rivera in Blue, Caribbean Beach in Red) and treat them as somewhat unrelated, adjacent resorts:Name:  cbrmap.jpg
Views: 3150
Size:  99.1 KB
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

16. Thanks VWL Mom, Hammer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with VWL Mom! So glad we are getting a new building as opposed to another retrofit. Maybe it would better to re-theme CBR to fit the new Riviera resort?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    If the Customs House were to relocate as part of the Caribbean Beach renovations, they could re-draw the map as below (Rivera in Blue, Caribbean Beach in Red) and treat them as somewhat unrelated, adjacent resorts:Name:  cbrmap.jpg
Views: 3150
Size:  99.1 KB
    I look at it as being along the lines of how Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter are set up. Adjacent, but separate. Based off the drawings, Riviera will have a separate stop for gondola transportation.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice if they combined the Customs House with Centerport. That way check-in would be more centrally located too.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: