Quantcast Friends going New Years Eve - suggestions, tips?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friends going New Years Eve - suggestions, tips?

Hi all of you Disney folks who have ever gone this time of year!
    I have friends who are going to the World Dec 27 to Jan 2. Dates not chosen by them, a trip that is paid for by an employer.

They have 2 boys, 3 and 5. She is wondering what is their best bet as far as a park for New Years Eve? Suggestions? Ideas?
    Thanks!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Epcot is the park that has the best NYE celebration, imho.
    It's able to accommodate more people, and will have, arguably, the best fireworks show. The downside to Epcot and NYE is there will be a lot of alcohol consumption going on, which can, if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, be a problem when you have small kids with you.

But I'd still choose Epcot over MK. MK will just be too crowded to navigate with little ones. HS and AK really aren't players in the NYE festivities (AK certainly won't have fireworks, even if they do stay open until midnight).

The main thing to realize is that it will likely be insanely crowded no matter where they go. Epcot is just able to handle the crowds better.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Also, make sure you tell her to get to the park early, and plan on not leaving, otherwise they risk the chance that the park will close for capacity.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    ~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I did NYE in Epcot two years ago by myself which was fun but not sure if I would do again. One helpful trick is to rent a locker for the day. Pack extra snacks, a change of shoes, even underwear or something you think you might need on a day that long. I also broke it up by going to two table service restaurants for lunch and dinner. It was a relaxing time within a busy day (and the lines for quick service were very long.) Also with small kids beware the lines for the bathrooms as the night went on got VERY VERY long. (30 mins?)
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

6. Likes njespers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to all who have responded. I was thinking this might be a bit much for little ones. They will have to decide that. They are staying at Beach Club, would they be able to see the fireworks from Epcot from somewhere in that area?
    Sainter
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think you would be able to see a good many fireworks from that area (but it will be crowded as well.) One advantage to staying there though is that if the little ones just get too tired they can go back. They might not have as good of a view but the fireworks that night are Epic and HUGE so I would think they can see a good many. Traffic that night was a zoo too so being within walking distance is a huge plus.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

We did NYE at MK in 2005. Myself, my ex, our 4 kids (elementary, middle school and high school age) and my mother. It was crazy. We stayed at FtW campground. Arrived very early in the morning about the first 3 families let into the park that day. We got a locker as everyone advised. Booked a late lunch at Crystal Palace and were prepared to stay the entire day. It was one of the longest days of my life.

The park closed to capacity before noon. After eating a late 2 pm lunch people were picking their spots for the fireworks. ABC was setup for the Dick Clark special, so the already crowded hub (pre refurbishment) was especially crowded. We staked out a spot and used it as a central location while the kids went to use FPs that they were handed by CM's. (old paper FP back then). FP were gone before noon and the CM's would hand out FP to people to help get some folks on rides. The lines were insane! Bathroom waits were 30 to 45 mins. I am not making this up people.

We go to Disney every year and are very versed in doing Disney but this was over the top. We were picked to be part of the ABC NYE special and they had us stand in a group in the rose garden. Handed us already made signs. Taught us how to cheer and rehearsed the NYE Ball Drop celebration. As we waited for the fireworks for hours in our spot, we watched the masses of humanity trample the flower beds and literally walk on top of each other. It was so crowded and there was no place for people to go. Imagine a park filled to capacity and everyone trying to get in front of the castle to see the fireworks. I will say, the fireworks were like nothing I have ever seen before. AMAZING.

The adventure did not end with the fireworks, getting out was a madhouse. We did not get back to our RV until 3 AM. I can't even begin to tell you what exiting the park was like not to mention trying to get to that locker we were advised to rent - IMPOSSIBLE. They had extra charter buses to add to the Disney fleet of busses. They had every boat and every monorail and every CM in all of the Disney Kingdom getting people out of there. They opened the paths behind Main Street to get people out of there. I can't imagine doing that with little ones. NO WAY. The fireworks and NYE experience were a once in a lifetime deal for me and worth it with older kids. Definitely a bucket list item checked off. I would not attempt that with little ones. I have grandbabies now and I won't even entertain the idea of taking them for NYE. My kids can take their kids when they are older and grandma will stay at the RV or Resort. BTW, my Mom was a trooper but she asked herself often, why was she there. We all laugh about that trip and love the memories we made but I won't recommend that to folks with little ones.
    Trips:
    Many, Many Trips as A Child
    ASMovie 1999
    MK Day Trip 2000
    ASMusic 2001
    Disney Cruise/Land-Sea - 2003
    CR 2003
    FW 2004
    FW 2004/05 Christmas/New Year
    FW 2006
    ASSports 2008 Thanksgiving
    ASMusic - August 13, 2009
    PO - 2010
    WL - 2011
    PO - 2012
    Pop - 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Goofyhidee, thank you for your honest and thorough NYE description -- YIKES!! I think I will let my friend read this but after I have gently tried to ease her into it -- it will be a disappointment but something they need to know! Another park or a night at the resort may be a better idea...
    Sainter
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media: