Quantcast Hurricane Irma - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    My daughter is on the ride out team. Should be some interesting stories!
    I'm sure there will be! Is she resort or park?
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear no flights into MCO after 5pm Saturday. Wonder when it would reopen?

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Don't count on that, last year during Matthew those checking out had to move if there was no room for them. There were lines of people they were trying to get settled somewhere on property because there were a lot of locals checking in to ride out the storm. In the end it appeared that they had accommodated mostly everyone somewhere.
    Hmm, that is the law. But Disney has deep pockets.

None the less, a mess.

I'd be curious how wind affects the Contemporary. Do they have doors that close that centerway?
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We head down Wednesday which I think will be ok as far as weather down there and initial clean up would be done. My only fear is driving from north of ATL to WDW with everyone else returning back home at once...
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

I was originally scheduled to arrive at MCO on Saturday 9/9 at 1:15pm. I changed the flight and am now arriving Friday 9/8 at midnight. Crashing for the night at the Hyatt inside MCO (lucky to get a room!) and then heading to Disney as planned.

I've had my ressie at BWI since March... they better have my room!!!!!

P.S. MCO took down the notice that's closing at 5pm on Saturday and now says it's operating as normal until further notice.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

While I make NO claim of certainty, my recollection of Florida law is that all hotels must keep 10% of their capacity available for guests who wish to stay additional days. This isn't just during emergencies it all the time. Beyond 10% Disney is not bound to retain any people on property. At some point Disney can't be expected to accommodate everybody, something has to give.

I can't quote a source, just vague recollection form my trip last year on the edge of Matthew.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AvonleaCF View Post

P.S. MCO took down the notice that's closing at 5pm on Saturday and now says it's operating as normal until further notice.
    It's back up again now, reposted about 40 minutes ago. They've also began cancelling flight, so far 17 for Friday and 24 for Saturday.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    While I make NO claim of certainty, my recollection of Florida law is that all hotels must keep 10% of their capacity available for guests who wish to stay additional days. This isn't just during emergencies it all the time. Beyond 10% Disney is not bound to retain any people on property. At some point Disney can't be expected to accommodate everybody, something has to give.

I can't quote a source, just vague recollection form my trip last year on the edge of Matthew.
    I searched online and couldn't find any such Florida statute regarding this 10% rule. But I did find this one (shown below) which gives innkeepers the authority to eject guests once their contracted time of stay has expired. Not saying Disney would just put people out into the storm with no place to go, but unless there has been an agreement between innkeeper and guest that allows them to stay, the guest has no right to stay.

509.141 Refusal of admission and ejection of undesirable guests; notice; procedure; penalties for refusal to leave.—
    (1) The operator of any public lodging establishment or public food service establishment may remove or cause to be removed from such establishment, in the manner hereinafter provided, any guest of the establishent . . . who, in the case of a public lodging establishment, fails to check out by the time agreed upon in writing by the guest and public lodging establishment at check-in unless an extension of time is agreed to by the public lodging establishment and guest prior to checkout; . . .
    (2) The operator of any public lodging establishment or public food service establishment shall notify such guest that the establishment no longer desires to entertain the guest and shall request that such guest immediately depart from the establishment. Such notice may be given orally or in writing. If the notice is in writing, it shall be as follows:

“You are hereby notified that this establishment no longer desires to entertain you as its guest, and you are requested to leave at once. To remain after receipt of this notice is a misdemeanor under the laws of this state.”
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, getting closer to FL now. Do I go or cancel? Flying down tomorrow (Friday) arriving very late at night (11:59PM). Staying at MCO for the night and then heading to Disney Saturday morning. Stupid idea? Or just ride it out at Disney? Is anyone in the Orlando area and are you worried?
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I searched online and couldn't find any such Florida statute regarding this 10% rule. But I did find this one (shown below) which gives innkeepers the authority to eject guests once their contracted time of stay has expired. Not saying Disney would just put people out into the storm with no place to go, but unless there has been an agreement between innkeeper and guest that allows them to stay, the guest has no right to stay.

509.141 Refusal of admission and ejection of undesirable guests; notice; procedure; penalties for refusal to leave.—
    (1) The operator of any public lodging establishment or public food service establishment may remove or cause to be removed from such establishment, in the manner hereinafter provided, any guest of the establishent . . . who, in the case of a public lodging establishment, fails to check out by the time agreed upon in writing by the guest and public lodging establishment at check-in unless an extension of time is agreed to by the public lodging establishment and guest prior to checkout; . . .
    (2) The operator of any public lodging establishment or public food service establishment shall notify such guest that the establishment no longer desires to entertain the guest and shall request that such guest immediately depart from the establishment. Such notice may be given orally or in writing. If the notice is in writing, it shall be as follows:

“You are hereby notified that this establishment no longer desires to entertain you as its guest, and you are requested to leave at once. To remain after receipt of this notice is a misdemeanor under the laws of this state.”
    I didn't want to hijack the thread w/ the tangent. So I do apologize. While that part is correct, I feel there is additional statute in certain circumstances (disasters) b/c afterall, who would normally continue to go to a disaster zone

But, regardless, anyone have an ideas about the breezeway at the Contemporary? I'd love to hear from a disney employee. I hope there is some video next week. I'm curious how high winds would affect the monorail corridor.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I have waffled all week. Today, we finally decided to try to reschedule. We are DVC and as of today they could not get us a room for a Sat-Fri stay from now until Thanksgiving. Back to plan A, we arrive Sat at 10:45 AM, I ordered groceries for Sat delivery, but as previously stated NO WATER!. Packed 18 bottles in checked baggage and plan to ride it out. We were there for Charley, know this will be bigger. I agree with others, with the amount of planning and costs of a WDW trip, this is a huge downer. But, ultimately, we are just visiting, we will pray for Florida residents. So far, every conversation I have had this week, the natives have been gracious and calm in the face of this storm. God Bless, will post when we get back.
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be keeping everyone traveling in my thoughts and prayers as well as all my Florida friends. According to this morning's weather Irma has been downgraded to a Cat 4, hopefully she will continue to downgrade before tomorrow.
    - Lynn -

14. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Flight is still on time, leaving in 2 hours for the airport. Irma will be taking a westerly track inland I hear.

This could get interesting!!

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Traveling to Florida right now is not the wisest choice one could make. I would reschedule and if I couldn't reschedule, I would cancel. Sure the storm may change course and not impact WDW that much and in a couple of days you might be vacationing as usual but then again the storm may come straight across Orlando with 125 mph winds and take the roofs off structures, take down power lines and cause flooding. You might be stuck there for 2 weeks in a disaster area or even worse be hurt. This is one of those times when one should do the smart and safe thing and suffer a little inconvenience. Just cancel or reschedule.

I have been to Florida, Alabama and Mississippi disaster areas after hurricanes many times over the years and you would not believe some of the things I have seen. I saw needles from pine trees shot like darts through walls covered with stucco. I am talking the needle stuck in the wall with one end still hanging out of both sides and others that went all the way through the exterior walls and were stuck through interior walls. I have seen appliances from other buildings blown through walls of neighboring buildings and ending up in interior rooms. Roofs gone and cars inside the buildings. It is crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday, I was ready to cancel and go somewhere else for vacation, such as D.C. or New York. But we had a family discussion, and I found an article that made me feel better. Here is a quote from that article:

"The resort is one of the most well-prepared places in the country, with proven strategies for dealing with tropical storms and hurricanes. In fact in 2009, the resort earned the Storm Ready designation from the NOAA, meaning it is one of only a few dozen locations recognized by the federal government as one of the safest places to be in the United States when a hurricane strikes."

I also found footage of a parade running in the Magic Kingdom smack in the middle of Tropical Storm Fay. Even in a Cat. 1, they don't close the parks, but will just close some attractions.

I also found a blog by someone who weathered out Hurricane Charley about 12 years ago at Saratoga Springs Resort. In her blog she described how the CM's handled everything and the preparations that they took to get everything ready.

Since it's now projected to hit overnight Sunday to the Monday A.M. hours, and we should be there by noon on Saturday, I'm feeling better about being there.

However, I'm going to feel like a total tool heading south on I-95 against the flow of one of the largest evacuations in U.S. history.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post

However, I'm going to feel like a total tool heading south on I-95 against the flow of one of the largest evacuations in U.S. history.
    You do realize they usually reverse flow the South bound lanes of the interstates to North bound for evacuations don't you? They haven't done so yet but typically they do about two days prior. You may or may not be driving down I95 or pretty much any major highway. State troopers and police will be placed at most Interstate ramps and major intersections to direct traffic and may turn you around. Then if you get stuck in traffic headed back North, gas stations are running out of gas. Do you really want to chance riding out a hurricane in your car stuck on the interstate?

Edit: I had forgotten they are trying a new idea this year where instead of reverse flowing the other side of the interstate, they are going to allow shoulder driving on the normal side of the interstate. I would not be surprised if they still end up reverse flowing some sections at times though because this evacuation is probably going to be unprecedented. I would also not be surprised if they have a cut off point somewhere, where they divert South bound traffic to not allow more people South into the evacuation areas as to not add more people to the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we're aware that they might reverse flow. We have friends in Orlando and St. Augustine who are keeping us aware of the situation. There are also other highways and routes we could take. We're also going to take 9-10 gallons of gas with us in a cargo carrier. Once we get there and unpack, the cargo carrier goes in the hotel room until after the storm passes.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

A few things:

Orlando airport is closing on Saturday at 5pm. If you are there and not in the hotel (totally booked BTW), you will be transported to a local shelter. You cannot stay in the airport.

If you are driving, there *is* gas to be found, but its a challenge to find it and the lines are long. Granted, all the traffic is going the other way, so you should have clear driving lanes.

They are telling locals to not be out at all after 5pm on Saturday.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imalismom View Post
    They are telling locals to not be out at all after 5pm on Saturday.
    Really? That's more than 24 hours before it's supposed to hit.
    DL - 1996, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

And it is now projected to be a Cat. 2 or smaller by the time it hits Orlando. I think there will definitely be damage (trees down, signs blown down), but we should be fine.
    DL - 1996, 2019

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: