Quantcast **Update**--Atlanta Braves Spring Training at Walt Disney World Extended

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation **Update**--Atlanta Braves Spring Training at Walt Disney World Extended

2/4/18

The Atlanta Braves has announced an extension to their Spring Training contract with Walt Disney World through April 2019:

Quote Originally Posted by John Schuerholz, Atlanta Braves Vice Chairman Emeritus

We are thankful for our good friends at Walt Disney World Resort and are excited for this extension. We also appreciate the foresight and thoughtfulness of our partners in North Port, Sarasota County and West Villages in recognizing such an extension will be of benefit as we continue to make progress on our new facility. When complete, our new, state-of-the-art facility will secure our long-term goal of creating a perfectly positioned and operational Spring Training facility for the next 30 years.
    9/24/17

Local media are reporting that the Atlanta Braves will be allowing their current Spring Training contract with the Walt Disney World resort to expire after 2018:

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Sentinel
    ...The Braves have found a new home on Florida’s west coast in North Port, where commissioners on Tuesday approved a $100 million development deal for a new complex.

... the Braves will turn off the porch light after they come here one last time in spring 2018 and become the last big-league team to have a spring fling in Central Florida.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, the writing was on the wall for this move for a while now. It's a shame, as the Braves have been holding spring training at Disney for 20+ years now. But MLB teams have been in demand for spring training games and the business they bring an area in March each year - so some communities have put together offers of fancy new complexes and perks for the teams to change spring training homes. It'll be a bit of a blow to WWoS, as those 15-17 home games would usually bring in pretty nice crowds.

Post Thanks / Like

Aw man! I like having Spring Training in my backyard =/
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Given how the Braves abandoned a good stadium at Turner Field as they coerced Cobb County to build them something shiny and new, I am not surprised. Major League Sports are all about milking the taxpayer to support their product and it's all up for bid. I guess that Disney didn't offer them enough incentives to stay.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

6. Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad to see Braves leaving WWS. Was always a fun extra for our March vac.
    KODABEAR
    FIRST TRIP MARCH '79 POLY
    175 plus trips

Post Thanks / Like

So here is where Disney drops the "ball" IMO....why not reach out to all the major league teams and have 1 spring training game for many teams instead of just the braves. They may find that this gets more people interested...not just the fans of the Braves or the few teams they play in their spring trying league. i.e. this weekend is Phillies Weekend....next weekend is Yankees Weekend...etc....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdm@pga View Post
    So here is where Disney drops the "ball" IMO....why not reach out to all the major league teams and have 1 spring training game for many teams instead of just the braves. They may find that this gets more people interested...not just the fans of the Braves or the few teams they play in their spring trying league. i.e. this weekend is Phillies Weekend....next weekend is Yankees Weekend...etc....
    I'm not sure, but I believe that probably would not be possible. I think these teams have contractual obligations to their home "spring training" communities, and are committed to playing home games at their home stadiums in the spring. It's why a community is willing to spend $100 million to get the Braves there next spring. It would be like the Superdome in New Orleans reaching out to the Major League teams during the season and offering them a home for a certain weekend of games. MLB isn't going to allow that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdm@pga View Post
    The teams, and especially the players, hate... I mean really hate to travel during spring training. So much so that there is a rule that a certain number of roster players must travel to each away game. I don't think you could get both teams to agree to an extra travel day.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Hooray! Great news
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: