Quantcast Renting Points

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Renting Points

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renting Points

We are staying for 5 nights in November at GF in a 2 BR. We were hoping to be able to get our waitlist at BW but it doesn't look like that will happen. We only have a 150 point contract. I have used my 17 and 18 year points and only have 39 remaining. When I spoke to dvc today, I asked if I could possibly use that 39 in the upcoming year and rent other points to put them together for a stay since my husband and I are going to want to go again before 2019! They said they couldn't discuss they since disney doesn't really condone the rental points. Does anyone know if I can use my 39 points in conjunction with rental points for a trip?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You won't be able to combine your points and rental points on the same reservation. You'd need to use your points to make a reservation (adding one time use points if you need to to finish out a night of necessary). Then if you rent points for a reservation of the same category, you can call Member Services and ask them to note that the two reservations are a continued trip and you'd like to stay in the same room. You will likely still need to check out and back in, but you probably won't have to change rooms.

You can purchase up to 24 one time use points per use year. Cost is $17/pt. as of 10/1/17.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the info Steve! I didn't know about the one time purchase! Good to know. We are in the process of purchasing a resale contract for 150 pts at BW which is so hard to come by. Unfortunately for us, the sellers have already used the points for '18 so we won't have access to them for quite awhile!

Post Thanks / Like

When you say check out and check back in - do you actually need to vacate the room (pack your suitcase up and leave) or I sit just a formality? Next year my family and I are staying one night then seven nights ( we want separate reservations because we don't want to pay for the dining plan for that first night since we'll be arriving late.). It's not the end of the world to pack up and leave but we're hoping to avoid it.

Post Thanks / Like

You can ask them to mark your reservation as a continuing stay but there is still a chance you will have to change rooms. In your case, MS will try to get you to merge the reservation so be prepared to say no thank you and try the next agent.
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 10-08-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

If the reservations have been linked, and all goes normally, then you will have been assigned the same room for both reservations. In that case, no, you only have to go to the front desk and go through the formality of checking out and then back in - you won't have to vacate the room.

The thing is, if both reservations are for the same room type and have exactly the same names on them, Member Services has been known to combine the reservations into one without your knowledge beforehand. So use a different spelling, an initial or a middle name on one of the reservations. That will prevent MS from combining them.

You will want to call MS and have a request put on both reservations noting that they are linked and you want to stay in the same room. Then verify that assignment at the front desk when you first arrive.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much!

Post Thanks / Like

"You can purchase up to 24 one time use points per use year. Cost is $17/pt. as of 10/1/17. "

Steve[/QUOTE]

Is this new? That would help out when a small amount of points are needed.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

One time use points have been available for years. They raised the price for them from $15 to $17 on 10/1/17. They can only be purchased for reservations being made at the 7 month point. They can only be purchased at the time you make a reservation (meaning you have to call).

Steve
    Steve

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

11. Thanks missymouseworld thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    If the reservations have been linked, and all goes normally, then you will have been assigned the same room for both reservations. In that case, no, you only have to go to the front desk and go through the formality of checking out and then back in - you won't have to vacate the room.

The thing is, if both reservations are for the same room type and have exactly the same names on them, Member Services has been known to combine the reservations into one without your knowledge beforehand. So use a different spelling, an initial or a middle name on one of the reservations. That will prevent MS from combining them.

You will want to call MS and have a request put on both reservations noting that they are linked and you want to stay in the same room. Then verify that assignment at the front desk when you first arrive.

Steve
    Linking does not guarantee that you will stay in the same room, it is only a request. Most times it will work out but is never guaranteed. Also, normally the names need to be the same on both reservations in order to be linked.

That aside, I've also heard that MS has been catching on to this practice and will require linked reservations to have the same meal plan.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

13. Likes Fangorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Linking does not guarantee that you will stay in the same room, it is only a request. Most times it will work out but is never guaranteed. Also, normally the names need to be the same on both reservations in order to be linked.

That aside, I've also heard that MS has been catching on to this practice and will require linked reservations to have the same meal plan.
    Yes! It's still just a request, and may or may not be granted. IMO, having a dining plan always complicates things if you have anything going on that's out of the norm. Just another reason I avoid DDP.

Steve

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: