Quantcast Fast Passes, Am I Doing it Wrong?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fast Passes, Am I Doing it Wrong?

Currently at the World after two years away and am struggling with the FB system. Only allowing me one top tier per park, per day. For instance, I have one for BTMRR but wanted to get a couple for Epcot later on, when I head Iver there this afternoon. If I choose anything for Epcot (slim pickings) I lose BTMRR. What gives? Last time we were here you could choose up to three for each park, each day. Terrible system or am I doing it wrong?
    Or do you still wait for me dream giver? Just around the river bend....

Poly 2x a year from Oct 95' - Apr. 04', N/05', M/10.
    Boardwalk: J/05', M/05', O/06', A/07', O/07, M/08, 1O/08, 5/11
    Y&B: N/09'
    Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Three per 'original' set, one park only. If park has tiered attractions, one in Tier 1, two in Tier 2.

Once those 3 are done, used or window expired, THEN you can pick for another park, if available.

Sorry.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

You can only pre-book 3 FP/day in advance, and they have to be in the same park.

So, you can't book one at MK, and then two at Epcot. Once you're actually in the parks, you can use your pre-booked FPs at MK (up to 3), and then book your next FP at another park.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Its a horrible, horrible system. I absolutely hate everything about it.

6. Likes Gator, jiifigment liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are benefits and drawbacks to the system, and if you're used to the old system, you hate the lack of flexibility.

Here's how we make it work for us. First, we are the kind of park guests who get up insanely early to make sure we're there at least 30 minutes before the park opens. Period. Second, we always use Park Hoppers, and almost always go to different parks in the afternoon than the ones we start at in the morning.

With that in mind, our strategy is that when the park opens, we just go ride the stuff that is super-popular without using FPs. At Magic Kingdom, we head for 7DMT. At Epcot, we head for Soarin' (or Frozen). At DHS, we head for TSM, and then Rockin'. We plan all of our FPs for the afternoon park so that when we get there, we don't have to worry about lines for our favorite stuff.

So, an example for us would be to hit MK in the morning, do 7DMT, Peter Pan, Space Mountain, BTMRR in the morning, and see what else we can ride before lunch. Then we do a slightly early lunch (11-11:30), and then leave. We hang out at the resort for a few hours, swimming and napping, and then head out around dinner to, say, Epcot. We may have ressies there, or not, but we have our FPs for Soarin', Spaceship Earth, and maybe one other thing. We may not even use the 3rd FP at Epcot. If we were to go to AK in the afternoon, we would have FP for the new Avatar rides and Kali River Rapids.

Anyway, that's been our strategy, and it works for us. It's not as flexible as heading to a park, seeing what the waits are and grabbing a FP for the next thing you want to ride. But it does mean that I don't have to grab everyone's park ticket and head halfway across a park to the ride's FP kiosk while the rest of my party is doing something else. I don't miss that part of the old system.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

8. Likes PopPhan, VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    Its a horrible, horrible system. I absolutely hate everything about it.
    I'm with you on this. I've been doing DL since FP+ was put into place. But I miss WDW terribly. Thinking about a return, but every time I start reading about FP+, I have major doubts. It just seems like a system born to fail.

The new system at DL (MaxPass), you get to choose FPs once you're in the park through your phone OR at the FP machines. If you choose the phone method, Disney charges you for it (bunch of carpet baggers). But you can still use the LegacyFP method.

I would love WDW to go to this system, where you can't get a FP until you're in the parks. Otherwise, FPs are all run out by the day of arrival. I like to ride the E-tickets more than once, but not wait in hour+ lines. C'mon WDW. You're the better of the two resorts. Get the better FP system!!!
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

10. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the change to FP+ we have taken to trips to the World. We have used the exact same strategy as @azcavalier. Not saying it is better than the legacy FP, but we have managed to alter our park visitation strategy to make the FP+ work for us, too. Hit rides with minimal lines first then in the morning, then hit another park at dinner time to use FP+ passes. It has been a nice combo for us.
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    DLR - AP
    Walt Disney World
    May 1988, 2000, 2003, Oct 2006 - Offsite
    May 1990 - Cruise/CBR
    May 2006 - POR & Swan
    May 2007 - Tokyo Disney Sea
    Jan 2009, May 2010, Jan 2013, May 2015 - Swan
    Sept 2016 - Wyndham Grand BC/Swan
    Sept 2018 - Dolphin

12. Likes azcavalier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I mention its a horrible, HORRIBLE system and I hate everything about it?

I recently moved to Florida. I went to WDW annually+ from 1989 to 2010. After this debacle was launched, I quit going. Now that I am in Florida, I only go to please my wife.

its a horrible system.

14. Likes MarkC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I mention its a horrible, HORRIBLE system and I hate everything about it?

I recently moved to Florida. I went to WDW annually+ from 1989 to 2010. After this debacle was launched, I quit going. Now that I am in Florida, I only go to please my wife.

its a horrible system.
    No disrespect intended, but....

No, it's not horrible, just different. It is a fair system, allowing people other than the park veterans to get access to "E-Ticket" attractions without having to wait in 2 - 3 hour queues. It may not work the way YOU like, but it does work, and well, for a great number of people. Agreed that 'locals' MAY lose out on some things, but that can be made up by more frequent visits and knowing/learning the patterns and timing of the queues. Infrequent visitors do not get this opportunity.

I do agree with Gator that 'day of' FastPasses (FP+) would be a better fit for most people though. Enter through the turnstile, then immediately have your FP+ selection ability activated. If you do not select any attractions in that park, or select and use your 3 options, your selection ability is good for your next park.

How many people actually want to plan what park they are going to visit 60 days out? That kills the spontaneity of a relaxing visit. You just can't get up in the morning and say..."Hey! I want to go to MK today!" Now it's..."Hey! I want to go to MK today, but dang it, I have FP+ reservations in DHS!"

Many pluses and minuses to the new system, but, in fairness to all, it works.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

When it first came about, I thought i'd hate it, but i've made several trips now, and I love it. I thought I'd hate it because i'm kind of a go w/ the flow kinda guy. i didn't want my trip planned for me, but after using it, it still allowes me to go w/ the flow, while still letting me on the rides I wanted to go on w/o a wait. I like that it's so easy to change when you're at the park. when you're at the park a lot of rides that i couldn't get on, opened up. I love it.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    There are benefits and drawbacks to the system, and if you're used to the old system, you hate the lack of flexibility.

Here's how we make it work for us..... .
    I agree with this. I greatly prefer the spontaneity of the old system, but we are learning to deal with what it is now and make it work (we have no choice). We often follow the same type of plan that azcavalier described. Where it can also work is if you are there during a crowded season and you do not plan on getting to the park prior to rope drop. Then you can set the passes up for late morning and you are at least guaranteed getting on one of the big attractions without standby. Then you leave after the FP+s are completed, go back and rest for a little, and set up what you can for the evening. We will often do this in the summer and stay out late at night (our kids are old enough for this now) to ride standby when the lines are shorter. Of course, that makes it more difficult to get to the parks early.

So, it really depends upon the crowd levels, the park hours, and (of course) your personal preference. We loved the old system when we would go in mid-late January and the parks were not as crowded. We could get-up early and get on anything we wanted while gathering Fast Passes, using them, and then getting another. Because the kids are older, we now have to go over the summer when crowds are higher, but the parks are open later. The old FP system had more limitations during crowded days as you could not get so many and it could be hours before your time became available. The new system at least allows you to get something in a Park that you might be visiting later in the day, even if it is crowded.

Again, I prefer the old system, but the new system is not without its advantages. I do hate the fact that you have to reserve some of the attractions 60 days in advance if you want a FP for it. I wish they could somehow blend the two allowing for a certain number to be reserved that far in advanced, but still allowing for some to be available the day of by someone that is actually in the parks. Of course, had they spent the money that they blew on the new system to build more E-ticket attractions, then the demand for the top tier would be diluted (think FP availability at MK vs HS).

Post Thanks / Like

I laugh just a little bit when I hear people say they prefer the "old" system with the kiosks and paper fastpasses. To me, the "old" system was when we got to the park, walked to the attraction, and waited in line to ride it! That system still exists today!! And yes, I know it's complicated a bit by the priority of fastpass holders.

Didn't Disney start fastpasses in the very late 90s or around 2000? That means we have an entire younger generation of folks who probably haven't experienced the attractions at WDW without a special reservation option like FP.

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Fastpass originally came in some time between 1998 and 2001, it wasn't there for our first trip (1998) but was there for our second trip (2001).

I was expecting to not like FP+ but it actually worked well for us this year. Despite being in the 30-day booking group as we were offsite we got a Fastpass for every ride we wanted except for Flight of Passage, we even got Seven Dwarfs Mine Train which we didn't expect. I had been worried about being constrained by Fastpasses but we didn't find it did, 3 reservations in one day meant we would have one eye on when/where our next FP was but still gave us plenty of time in between that was free. I had initially not liked being able to book FPs in two parks on the same day in advance but we were able to make decisions and make it work... 3 Fastpasses in Magic Kingdom, then booked a 4th while still there, then still managed to book one for Test Track before we hopped on the Monorail to Epcot.

Only drawback we found it we did perhaps spend more time walking back on ourselves, though we're relatively fit so it didn't bother us too much. Except on the first day when my Dad was counting how many times we walked by the Gaston statue but I think that was more to do with inexperience planning FP+ on my part.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    No disrespect intended, but....

No, it's not horrible, just different. It is a fair system, allowing people other than the park veterans to get access to "E-Ticket" attractions without having to wait in 2 - 3 hour queues. It may not work the way YOU like, but it does work, and well, for a great number of people. Agreed that 'locals' MAY lose out on some things, but that can be made up by more frequent visits and knowing/learning the patterns and timing of the queues. Infrequent visitors do not get this opportunity.

I do agree with Gator that 'day of' FastPasses (FP+) would be a better fit for most people though. Enter through the turnstile, then immediately have your FP+ selection ability activated. If you do not select any attractions in that park, or select and use your 3 options, your selection ability is good for your next park.

How many people actually want to plan what park they are going to visit 60 days out? That kills the spontaneity of a relaxing visit. You just can't get up in the morning and say..."Hey! I want to go to MK today!" Now it's..."Hey! I want to go to MK today, but dang it, I have FP+ reservations in DHS!"

Many pluses and minuses to the new system, but, in fairness to all, it works.
    No. It's horrible. It was constructed for one reason, to help Disney squeeze every last penny out of you by controlling your every action.

The scent of roses and carnations are different. The scent of garbage is horrible. FP+ is garbage. Those who defend it either forget or neglect to mention that FP+ includes attractions that never needed a FP before.

When you have to plan a vacation down to the day,hour and minute 60 days in advance, it's horrible, not different.

21. Likes Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't feel I had to plan by vacation down to the hour and minute. I already planned in advance which I wanted to be each day and it just meant I may know I need to be at one ride between 11-12, one between 2-3 and one between 3-4 for example. However I normally want to do everything in the park anyway so the exact order I do them in doesn't bother me, each ride takes maybe 10-15 minutes and I have a one hour window to be there, so other than one or two rushes where I miscalculated it didn't really stress it at all though. And even then when we were late leaving Typhoon Lagoon we had been able to push back Star Tours by about 30-40 minutes and getting there ok.

Both systems had advantages and disadvantages. For example the old system if you weren't there at rope drop you weren't getting a Toy Story Mania FP. In a perfect world I would say go for some level of compromise where half of the fastpasses are available at 60 days and the other half become available on the day - but I am sure that would probably work out badly for someone too.
    Disney World Visits:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giggy View Post
    I didn't feel I had to plan by vacation down to the hour and minute. I already planned in advance which I wanted to be each day and it just meant I may know I need to be at one ride between 11-12, one between 2-3 and one between 3-4 for example. However I normally want to do everything in the park anyway so the exact order I do them in doesn't bother me, each ride takes maybe 10-15 minutes and I have a one hour window to be there, so other than one or two rushes where I miscalculated it didn't really stress it at all though. And even then when we were late leaving Typhoon Lagoon we had been able to push back Star Tours by about 30-40 minutes and getting there ok.

Both systems had advantages and disadvantages. For example the old system if you weren't there at rope drop you weren't getting a Toy Story Mania FP. In a perfect world I would say go for some level of compromise where half of the fastpasses are available at 60 days and the other half become available on the day - but I am sure that would probably work out badly for someone too.
    Not true AT All. I never made rope drop and always got FP for TSM.

And yes, when 60 days out your FP says to be there at 11:25. Then you want to set up dining and the system tells you that you can't get the time you want because it overlaps your FP window by 5 minutes, you have to plan down to the minute.

I disagree with your comprise. The best solution is to have FP kiosks around the park where you can get a FP for any ride in that park.

I could go on forever why this system is terrible.

It's a horrible system and I hate everything about it.

Post Thanks / Like

And that is where it comes down to opinion, as clearly lots of people don't find it a terrible system. It worked relatively well for us, created some challenges but we overcame them. We very very rarely book ADRs so that was never an issue for us but I can see how that could be frustrating for you.

It will depend on how different people approach their vacation and what their priorities are. I did like the old system, it worked pretty well for us as we were quite good at getting Fastpasses under it, but at the same time the new system didn't exactly hurt us. The TSM anecdote is perhaps a historical one but when it first opened it was widely reported on here (look back at old threads if you want proof) people were arriving mid-morning and fastpasses were all gone, I can imagine similar would now happen with rides such as Flight of Passage.

End of the day there is a limited number of Fastpasses per day, however you decide to distribute those will be good in one person's eyes, terrible in anothers. If the system disadvantaged me I am very aware I would probably be quick to point out the flaws but my point is "Terrible" is a subjective term.
    Disney World Visits:

25. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giggy View Post
    And that is where it comes down to opinion, as clearly lots of people don't find it a terrible system. It worked relatively well for us, created some challenges but we overcame them. We very very rarely book ADRs so that was never an issue for us but I can see how that could be frustrating for you.

It will depend on how different people approach their vacation and what their priorities are. I did like the old system, it worked pretty well for us as we were quite good at getting Fastpasses under it, but at the same time the new system didn't exactly hurt us. The TSM anecdote is perhaps a historical one but when it first opened it was widely reported on here (look back at old threads if you want proof) people were arriving mid-morning and fastpasses were all gone, I can imagine similar would now happen with rides such as Flight of Passage.

End of the day there is a limited number of Fastpasses per day, however you decide to distribute those will be good in one person's eyes, terrible in anothers. If the system disadvantaged me I am very aware I would probably be quick to point out the flaws but my point is "Terrible" is a subjective term.
    With regard to TSM, you moved the goal post. Your first post said FP was unavailable at rope drop. Now you say at mid morning.

Its a terrible system because of why it was created. It was NOT created to increase the guest experience. It was created for Disney to pack as many people in the park as possible by artificially spreading out the crowds and doing so with 60 days notice. Its all about the corporation and nothing about the guest. Its like an internet provider "throttling" your bandwidth so they don't have to spend money on more capacity. No one likes that.

When Walt talked about "plussing" an attraction, he referred only to increasing the guest enjoyment. Not Disney's management of the park.

Whether you realize it or not, Disney is planning and taking total control of your vacation. If you choose X attraction, you can't choose Y. If you want to eat at A time, you can't because you have a FP at B time. You have to choose 3 FPs, even if you have no plans to use them if you want a second FP for an attraction in the same tier.

FP+ is not about the guest; never was, never will be. To the Disney sycophant , that doesn't matter.

its a horrible system based upon its intention.

Post Thanks / Like

FP+ is not about the guest; never was, never will be. To the Disney sycophant , that doesn't matter.

its a horrible system based upon its intention.
    Your view and opinion are to be respected. But many others have a different view and opinion, and don't agree that it's a horrible system. It's not perfect, but my family certainly doesn't view it as horrible. And something I alluded to before - the FP+ system is completely OPTIONAL. If you don't like getting caught up in the FP+ system, you don't have to use it.

On a good day at one of the parks, we will probably do 8-10 attractions - and we'll use 3, maybe 4 fast passes. The standby lines work, too. But we will improve our plans during the day a bit by trying to grab a few FP in advance. It works for us.

28. Likes Giggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have mastered FP+. One day at the MK we made & used 10 of them 👍

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: