Quantcast Flights of Wonder to be Replaced by Wilderness Explorer Themed Show: Updated 4/22/18

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Flights of Wonder to be Replaced by Wilderness Explorer Themed Show: Updated 4/22/18

4/22/18

Disney's Animal Kingdom is giving a first look at its new UP! show:

2/22/18

An opening date has been announced and first piece of concept art released:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks & Resorts
    ...“UP! A Great Bird Adventure,” featuring Russell and Dug from Disney•Pixar’s “UP” will be debuting at Disney’s Animal Kingdom on April 22, 2018!

Name:  rdu23498203948203948fi-624x352.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  56.4 KB

Beginning just in time for the 20th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, this new entertainment experience for the whole family offers guests the chance to see Senior Wilderness Explorer Russell and his furry friend Dug as they discover species of birds from around the world in their newest adventure in Anandapur village. There will be “UP” close encounters each day with amazing winged creatures!

2/2/18

A name has been announced for new Up show at Disney's Animal Kingdom:

“Explorers Meet UP! A Great Bird Adventure”

... at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in time for the park’s 20th anniversary ... guests can discover new bird species from around the world at the new show “Explorers Meet UP! A Great Bird Adventure,” which will star Senior Wilderness Explorer Russell and his furry friend Dug.

12/30/17

A new character audition for the end of January 2018 has given some additional insight into the new Up themed show replacing flights of Wonder at Disney's Animal Kingdom:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Auditions

Female Actor for New Offering

Monday, January 29, 2018
    10:00 AM
    Time zone: Pacific Time (US & Canada)

For: Walt Disney World
    Audition City: North Hollywood, CA
    Looking For: Actors

Disney Parks Live Entertainment is seeking female actors with strong movement skills, or dance background (experience with classical Indian dance a plus), for a new offering at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at the Walt Disney World® Resort near Orlando, FL.

Beginning just in time for the 20th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom next year, this new experience will offer guests the chance to see Senior Wilderness Explorer Russell and his furry friend Dug as they discover species of birds from around the world in their newest adventure at the Caravan Theater in Anandapur village. There will be “UP” close encounters each day with amazing winged creatures!

Potential relocation packages may be available to qualified performers.

Upon signing of Walt Disney World® Individual Employment Contract, candidates are eligible to immediately apply for membership in Actor’s Equity Association.

Seeking the following role:

Anika: Female, a young woman who lives in the Anandapur Indian village and spends her time as a caretaker of birds in the Caravan aviary. She is the descendent of a Maharani, a free-spirit, and the storyteller in her proud family. Her movement and language are colorful and expressive. She is personable, playful, and at home in nature.
    12/11/17

Disney's Animal Kingdom has announced that the long-running Flights of Wonder show will be replaced by a new show themed to the Wilderness Explorers from Disney-Pixar Up:

.. {An} all-new show {is} coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Spring 2018 featuring Russell and Dug from Disney•Pixar’s “UP.”

Beginning just in time for the 20th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom next year, this new experience will offer guests the chance to see Senior Wilderness Explorer Russell and his furry friend Dug as they discover species of birds from around the world in their newest adventure at the Caravan Theater in Anandapur village. There will be “UP” close encounters each day with amazing winged creatures!

As you plan ahead, we also wanted to let you know that in order to begin to prepare for the new show at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, December 31, 2017 will be the final showing of Flights of Wonder. Until the end of this month, you can still experience Flights of Wonder at the park.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Although the addition of characters might appeal to some, I'm not sure I like this. I prefer AK's focus on education-they'd better not even consider adding characters to the Kilimanjaro Safari or either of the Trails.

4. Likes RunDMV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it. Flights of Wonder is one of my favorite shows
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Since I've been local, I try to visit AK a few times a month. I ALWAYS plan for a trip to Flights of Wonder. I practically know the entire show by heart. I know the best seats for the best camera shots. I've gotten to offer my $1. I can't imagine AK without this show. I realize it's been around for a while, but it still draws in a good size audience. This is such a bummer for me.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like they are doing Flights of Wonder with an UP! overlay.

Not every attraction needs characters or an animated feature tie-in, just sayin'.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

8. Likes RunDMV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post

Not every attraction needs characters or an animated feature tie-in, just sayin'.
    I agree that not every attraction needs a movie tie in, but as much as I liked Flights of Wonder, I did think the "plot" was kind of dated. To me it very much felt like theme park shows that were being created in the 90's (which I believe it was).
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

We have always visited Flights of Wonder on every trip to AK since we first discovered it as a "hidden attraction (most guests overlooked it). It was a nice break to sit and was always a humorous, educational and entertaining show. Although i'm sad to hear of it changing, it sounds like it will be a similar show with some new characters and dialogue. I'm OK with that and having some well known characters in the show will probably get more kids to encourage their parents to take them. They might even learn something!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

11. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going on the assumption that it's just gonna be a very similar show but with the hosts wearing Wilderness Explorer outfits. I do really like the Flights of Wonder show so I'm hoping it's very similar.

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I sure hope so!
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Missed this one our first several trips but glad we eventually stumbled in - have experienced it a few times since - that said, it's a good break to get off your feet and be entertained a bit but this one is not a "must do" for us. Will definitely check out the re-vamped show, however, when we head back Aug. '18!!
    March 99 - POFQ
    Feb 04 - WL
    Feb 05 - POLY
    Nov 05 - CB
    Oct 06 - POLY
    Nov 07 - POLY/BC
    Nov 08 - BC
    Mar 10 - WL
    Nov 10 - POR-Riverside
    Apr 12 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 13 - POR
    Jan 14 - WL
    Nov 14 - POR-Riverside
    Mar 16 - POLY
    Aug 17 - POLY
    Aug 18 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post

Most probably, but with Wilderness Explorers as a theme throughout the park, it fits rather nicely. AND it can be another 'badge' for the kids. Same show as it always was, for the most part, just rolled into the current WE theme.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Guano Joe will be missed.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

17. Likes PopPhan, magicofdisney liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone ever get to see Guano Jane, bedsides me? I don't know if that was a trial, all the guys called in sick that day, or I saw the last performance given, but I really enjoyed that variation.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

19. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Did anyone ever get to see Guano Jane, bedsides me? I don't know if that was a trial, all the guys called in sick that day, or I saw the last performance given, but I really enjoyed that variation.
    I have seen both a couple of times. It probably depended on which day of the week you saw the show, like with Off Kilter, most of the time they had Bagpipes, but a couple days out of the week the had a fiddle player instead.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

24. Likes magicofdisney liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Just my thoughts. I approve!

So, I am one of those guests that never saw Flights of Wonder. Being that I have no prior expectations, I must say that this show looks absolutely adorable.

Hopefully, it will have some educational elements in it still, as I did get the vibe.

Up isn't really in a whole lot of theme park attractions. I welcome the addition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I think I saw Guano Jane a couple of times (but I typically saw Guano Joe)
    Cruises:

27. Likes magicofdisney liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with them updating or creating a new story line. But it seems kind of silly to me to introduce characters into the show. Just my opinion.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: