Quantcast The State of INTERCOT? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    The posting has definitely slowed down. I love Intercot for the trip reports the most. And, I will admit that I was very disappointed when the big intercot meet was going on and someone asked about "live reports" and the poster was directed by admins to facebook or other social media for updates.
    I mean, if the admins don't care enough to use this board for sending out information during an intercot gathering, I'm not sure how you expect others to use the board. I also did not find too many follow up posts about the meet.
    I felt the same way when I read that. Also, I had asked how intercot got started in one post, and I was referred to the Podcast. I understand that companies want to advertise their newest thing and a lot of intercotees are excited with the podcast, facebook page, twitter stuff, etc. It just really isn't my thing.

Intercot used to feel like a big family, and I'm sure that a lot of people stay connected and talk through social media. There isn't anything wrong with that. It is my choice to stick with just the discussion board. I do miss seeing posts by people who used to post frequently - Big Blue and Hairy, DizneyFreak, etc. Sometimes they could be controversial, but I like seeing both sides. I do much better mentally when I am prepared for the "bad" instead of thinking everything will be sunshine and roses.

I also enjoy when there are multiple answers to questions. If they all say the same, I know that is generally what to expect. If more people say they like it than people say they didn't like it, then I assume it will probably be something we should do. If it is split down the middle, I will weigh how important it is to the group. If there are more negatives than positives, I will probably skip it. So yeah, I appreciate your view point even if 100 other people have answered before you.

I also like hearing the voice of experience/wisdom/knowledge from others on here. For instance, Fangorn recently gave me an idea about how to try to buy APs that I never would have thought of. It was a simple solution, but I never would have come up with it on my own.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    Awhile back I remember reading the same type of question, and I believe the Intercot Master stated it is a slow time of the year on here, and then things pickup after the Holidays, etc. I can't remember what section I saw the post, but its there somewhere.....Wait, I remember now, it is under the Information Kiosk, What's the Deal/Threadkiller section.
    http://intercot.com/discussion/showt...-Thread-Killer

From the Thread Killer himself I must say that I really like our little Intercot Community much more that what is seen on social media or at least Facebook. I'm member of a DVC group, an Aulani group, Tikiman's Poly group and a WL group. More often than not I end up just scrolling through vs. reading the threads because people are either just silly or rude. I like our little moderated and walled community knowing that the Mods do their best to keep it respectful. Yes we still get questions about the quickest way to get from A to B but that's okay because we were all newbies once. Although I still view Intercot as my best source for Disney info because we have people that are very well connected and they are thoughtful in both their content and presentation. Intercot rocks!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

4. Thanks missymouseworld thanked for this post
    Likes missymouseworld, Cinderelley, cer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, its been just less interest in disney. Still have it obviously, as I come here. Just not as much. The parks, and the direction they are going in, just have less long term interest to me. Plus, with the changes (star wars, etc) I look at fewer trips in the future, as I don't have the interesting in dealing w/ that.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    For me, its been just less interest in disney. Still have it obviously, as I come here. Just not as much. The parks, and the direction they are going in, just have less long term interest to me. Plus, with the changes (star wars, etc) I look at fewer trips in the future, as I don't have the interesting in dealing w/ that.
    I think this holds true for a lot of people who have come to expect a certain level from Disney, and it just isn't there any more. I love going to Disney with my kids, but I think now it is mostly out of nostalgia. My oldest son is attending Embry-Riddle. When I was contemplating what to do as a celebration when he graduates, I decided on another Alaskan cruise. It seems like a better vacation to me now. He loves Disney (even drove out to California last November to spend a few days at Disneyland with me), but the quality just isn't there any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.

I like Hawaii quite a bit, but have to talk myself into the 10 hr flight from DFW to Hawaii.. Plus they recently made smoking on the beaches illegal, however, they may undo that. I like Vegas as well, but not really a long vacation place to me. Good for 3-4 days, and then I'm ready. Only so much gambling I want to do, though smoking cigars and scotch in Vegas is pretty nice.

So yeah, I think w/ that and the changing of the dynamic in general. Disney is focusing on the less nostalgic, and more of the entertain me now and always crowd. The newer generations. This is a medium that isn't compatible w/ those groups.

Also, the topics. Star Wars or Star Wars

And to Bald, I like controversy, and therefore some of the mod'ing is what I don't like. Over the top to me, but I do agree there are lots of great folks on here, so its worth the nanny state to interact.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a combination of Disney's primary target demographic staying young, while us old fashioned bulletin board users (not just on Disney sites) keep getting older. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and the other even newer social media platforms that I know nothing about are where the internet traffic is these days. Bulletin board forums are for old fogies, I know, 'cause I'm one of em.
    That being said, If there was an Intercot mobile app, I'd bet the posts here would go up. Like I heard on a TV ad this week; a child using a tablet saying to grandma "what's a computer?" Gotta stay young, or get old!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

9. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giggy View Post
    Intercot for me meanwhile has more of a community feel and there names I recognise who have posted over the years.
    Intercot has always been for me sort of like the TV show, "Cheers", a place where everybody knows your name. It's intimate enough to get to know people better than FB, but with enough diverse input to be entertaining and valuable.

Intercot also has the opportunity to actually meet in person and actively sets up meet and greets regularly.

Intercot people are kind, for the most part. Grumpy may be a Disney character but he rarely shows up on this site. AND when he does, people actually acknowledge they were wrong or rude and apologize! On Intercot people are people not numbers or avatars. I have seen others asking how their children were, or checking on people.

Intercot is a place filled with people who adopt the mantra, Any day at Disney is better than not being at Disney! We all know it's not perfect, but it is so much better than the "rat race" of life and for just a moment we are a child again, playing with our friends. Except this time we actually understand how precious being able to do this is!

Well, I certainly didn't intend to get all soppy but I love this 'ol site and am so glad its a safe place to go to sit in a circle and say... "Hi, my name is Patty and I am addicted to Disney" and be completely understood!

Thank you John! Thank you Intercot staff! Thank you!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to say that I've been a member of Intercot since 2006. Typically, I visit and post when we have an upcoming trip and I'm never disappointed with the information. I DO feel like somewhat of a thread killer at times but, apparently, I'm not the only one. I think it's just the nature of things now that social media has taken over our lives (I'll add here that I'm not a Facebook user and never plan to be one. When I say "our lives', I include mostly everyone else, but not me personally). Anyway, I want to thank you all for still being here and I'll add that I've found a new (new to me, but not really new) way to enjoy Intercot. Podcasts! they're so fun!
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Next trip is Aulani, btw. November! Yay!
    Nice work, pal.

13. Likes missymouseworld, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiLounger View Post
    I DO feel like somewhat of a thread killer at times but, apparently, I'm not the only one.
    No, you are not the only one.....but that's another thread.

15. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiLounger View Post
    Next trip is Aulani, btw. November! Yay!
    You'll feel right at home at Aulani! It feels like Disney, enjoy!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    You'll feel right at home at Aulani! It feels like Disney, enjoy!
    Hmmmm...now why would you say this? Hahaha! Yes...I'm expecting lots of tiki-goodness...Disney-fied!
    Nice work, pal.

18. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to post quite a bit more than I do now. The difference? I had more to say. I haven't kept up with some changes, so I don't want to spread misinformation or answer with an outdated comment. I still love Disney and go as much as ever, but I couldn't give you the best answer about anything now, and I used to be fairly up on things.

Also, I'm less opinionated as I age, so I certainly won't tell you the "best" or "worst" of anything, because every experience is different. I love one thing you hated. You hate something I loved. It happens. And mainly, we have more outlets with social media. I'm taking in and sharing information on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. It used to be just keeping up with everyone here.

I try to keep in touch and pop in and comment now and then, anyway, but my attention is more divided. Overall, though, I'm glad I can still pop in and hooray, well done, to John and all the volunteers who keep it going. Thank you!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

20. Likes PopPhan, Fangorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha, I get more opinionated as I age.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I used to consider myself a pretty average regular who would pop in everyday and post a reply or read the most recent threads. And to be honest, I don’t know when or how that stopped. Maybe it’s because the most time is spent on my phone and fb just became easier? I really don’t know. But something this morning told me to come on and browse because it has been so long. I missed everyone, I missed reading the threads, missed reading everyone’s comments and opinions, whether good or bad. I can tell you that with social media in general I have become sick of the constant arguments of people with guts behind computer screens, I’m sick of no one being able to like something or someone without being bashed for it because it’s didferent opinions than someone else’s, sick of the negativity. I don’t know about anyone else but that just irritates and literally just puts me in a funk. I find myself everyday becoming more and more disinterested in social media, everything about it. So, with that being said, I find the closeness of forums more appealing again so will probably start becoming more of a poster again. I hope you missed me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    I used to consider myself a pretty average regular who would pop in everyday and post a reply or read the most recent threads. And to be honest, I don’t know when or how that stopped. Maybe it’s because the most time is spent on my phone and fb just became easier? I really don’t know. But something this morning told me to come on and browse because it has been so long. I missed everyone, I missed reading the threads, missed reading everyone’s comments and opinions, whether good or bad. I can tell you that with social media in general I have become sick of the constant arguments of people with guts behind computer screens, I’m sick of no one being able to like something or someone without being bashed for it because it’s didferent opinions than someone else’s, sick of the negativity. I don’t know about anyone else but that just irritates and literally just puts me in a funk. I find myself everyday becoming more and more disinterested in social media, everything about it. So, with that being said, I find the closeness of forums more appealing again so will probably start becoming more of a poster again. I hope you missed me
    We missed you. I am kind of hoping there is a backlash on social media that causes a resurgence of community forums for the reasons you mentioned. I find Facebook and Twitter really reinforce all the negativeness in life... when there is so much good out there.

Glad to have you back.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

24. Thanks PopPhan, TinkerbellT421 thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I find Facebook and Twitter really reinforce all the negativeness in life... when there is so much good out there.
    Very true!
    Jeff

26. Likes TinkerbellT421 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We missed you. I am kind of hoping there is a backlash on social media that causes a resurgence of community forums for the reasons you mentioned. I find Facebook and Twitter really reinforce all the negativeness in life... when there is so much good out there.

Glad to have you back.
    I have missed you guys too!!!
    The DBF and I aslo belong to a Toyota forum now too...there is a ton of activity there as well.
    They don't even have a FB page.

I am really starting to see a trend of some social media outlets dying, with that being said, I really hope the forum life comes back. I'm purposely going to be making a mindful effort to get back here everyday and I may even start ignoring FB all together.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I find Facebook and Twitter really reinforce all the negativeness in life... when there is so much good out there.
    I think it really depends on what you do on Facebook. If I explore beyond my own little world, it does get pretty negative. Most of my time on Facebook is spent catching up on what friends and family do. When I am travelling, there are stories about my day from my stuffed animal, Barksy. If Barksy doesn't check in, I hear about it from friends and family. We have an unofficial prayer chain. It is an easy way to stay in touch with so many people that cuts down on the time spent on phone calls. When the negativity does creep in from outside sources, I've spent enough years playing an online MMO to know how to troll someone until they get angry enough to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I've spent enough years playing an online MMO to know how to troll someone until they get angry enough to leave.
    Yeah, that's it. It's not your real life professional training
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings