Quantcast AKL Cashless Test Run - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Some very interesting points regarding the future of "cashless" at Disney. To be honest, I'm surprised it took this long. It's just becoming more and more prevalent. It'll be interesting to see how the pilot goes. I'm sure folks at the AKL are expecting to get an earful at some points during the pilot, from folks who are not happy.

We don't view it as a major issue for us - but that's us! In reality, I have to think that 95%+ of families going there have a credit card or debit card - unless you're still personally going into the bank to deposit and withdraw cash every time, instead of using an ATM. But it will be an adjustment for some who might use cash as a budgeting tool. I'm afraid I can admit to many moons ago when we used travelers cheques as a budgeting tool - and a safe way to bring cash on vacation. Well, those days are long gone - hardly anyone takes them anymore! But now, instead of buying $1,000 worth of travelers cheques (as an example), we leave the $1000 in the bank, monitor our credit card, and pay the bill with the $1000 when it comes. And with the ability to check your Disney balance and/or credit card balance during the trip (with Disney-supplied wifi), you really can monitor your spending regularly anyway.

And who knows - maybe there will be enough negativity coming out of the pilot that they'll rethink it. But based on what we're seeing other places, it seems likely this will be the norm for Disney and other places in the future.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a family dinner this past Sunday which I paid for in cash. It made me think of this thread.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I would argue that destination vacations (NYC unless you live in NYC), WDW, Hawaii, etc. Are somewhat elitist. I view if you have the opportunity and means to go to WDW, as somewhat elite anyways. Especially those that go more than once (like the vast majority of folks on intercot).

But that wasn't my point. I just know that some were going to jump on my way of looking at "use plastic" was elitist.

To stay on topic, I bet very few who go to the premium tier resort, like AKL, will notice or care about the cash option. In the future, it benefits Disney to drive folks to MB usage (of some sort), gift cards or plastic, or likely some other option yet to be released.
    I can see how that type of vacationing can be viewed as elitist. Disney World can be very expensive, especially when you can go do a staycation or local area destination for next to nothing. What we view as the norm definitely is not the norm for everyone.

I wouldn't call your way of using your card as elitist either. You just have a better grasp of budgeting than most people do. Want to come to WDW as my accountant? lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    We had a family dinner this past Sunday which I paid for in cash. It made me think of this thread.

I can see how that type of vacationing can be viewed as elitist. Disney World can be very expensive, especially when you can go do a staycation or local area destination for next to nothing. What we view as the norm definitely is not the norm for everyone.

I wouldn't call your way of using your card as elitist either. You just have a better grasp of budgeting than most people do. Want to come to WDW as my accountant? lol
    But it was just jello and chicken salad from the cafeteria right? Employee discount.. 10 bucks Even I keep ten bucks in my wallet.

Easy. Though I do tend to lose a bit of that control at Epcot during the FW festival.. mmm.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I usually take a break in the afternoon. So, I take what I will need with me in the morning. Then I will take what I need with me at night. I don't do a ton of shopping while I'm in the parks. I will generally look through all the parks to see what I like. Near the end of the trip, I see what things I still really want and what things don't really hold their appeal any more. Then I will make a "shopping day" and go get the things I want. The only exceptions to this are things I know I specifically want before I leave - such as my son's "First Christmas Together" ornament as his wedding present. I get those pretty early in the trip, so that I don't forget to get them. It cuts down on a lot of impulse buys.

Additionally, I don't carry all of the cash around by myself. I don't expect the people I travel with to be attached to my hip, so they get their amount for the day to buy what they need to buy - souvenirs, food, drinks, etc.

I admit that I am in the minority. I was married to an accountant and trusted him with our finances. We went through a nasty divorce where I discovered we had a lot of credit card debt. Since I made the majority of the money, I got the majority of the debt. Now that I have gotten myself out from under that, I never want to go back. Plus, with my memory problems, it is much easier for me to keep track of things in my hand instead of a credit card charge that disappears until the end of the month (and yes, I can keep receipts, but I will forget that I have them).

While it may be a small percentage of people, I don't see any real reason to alienate them.
    We vacation in a similar way. We're at the point now where we don't do too much impulse buying on our trips to Disney, so cash in the parks works for us. I don't know. I guess I was taught (by my parents and by experience) to bring cash along when we travel, and in everyday life, as well. I always made sure my kids had at least $25 in their pockets when they got old enough to be out in the world without us or on outings with other families, school functions, etc. I don't feel comfortable if I have to rely on plastic in case of an emergency or some unforeseen circumstance arises. As for vacations, the cash we bring is never all in one place. Some is left in the room safe and each one of us carries a bit with them. I know some people don't think this is a "safe" way to travel but it works for us. Actually, our debit and credit cards have been compromised so many times, over the years. This makes me much more nervous than the prospect of a little cash getting lost or stolen. At least with cash, it stops there and I feel more in control.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiLounger View Post
    We vacation in a similar way. We're at the point now where we don't do too much impulse buying on our trips to Disney, so cash in the parks works for us. I don't know. I guess I was taught (by my parents and by experience) to bring cash along when we travel, and in everyday life, as well. I always made sure my kids had at least $25 in their pockets when they got old enough to be out in the world without us or on outings with other families, school functions, etc. I don't feel comfortable if I have to rely on plastic in case of an emergency or some unforeseen circumstance arises. As for vacations, the cash we bring is never all in one place. Some is left in the room safe and each one of us carries a bit with them. I know some people don't think this is a "safe" way to travel but it works for us. Actually, our debit and credit cards have been compromised so many times, over the years. This makes me much more nervous than the prospect of a little cash getting lost or stolen. At least with cash, it stops there and I feel more in control.
    Yeah I never use my debit. Too much hassle if something gets stolen. But credit card, easy. Could always go the gift card approach, and put some, add some in a more controlled route.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    But it was just jello and chicken salad from the cafeteria right? Employee discount.. 10 bucks Even I keep ten bucks in my wallet.

Easy. Though I do tend to lose a bit of that control at Epcot during the FW festival.. mmm.
    Lol. I wish. We were at an all you can eat Sushi Bar. I'm not a big sushi fan, so I would have enjoyed the chicken salad and jello better. :P

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't carry cash, how do you tip people bellhops and such?

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't carry cash, how do you tip people bellhops and such?
    Well, I carry a little cash on vacation (maybe a couple hundred bucks) for things like that, vending machines, etc. Plus, I stopped at a gas station once, that only accepted cash (in Florida). But not the amount it would take to pay for the whole trip. If i need more cash, ATM.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings