Quantcast Movies, Sports, or Shades?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Movies, Sports, or Shades?

Hi all! We are currently booked for end of May at the Polynesian on rented DVC points. The friend that I rent points from only had enough points left for this user year to book 5 nights for me. She didn't want to borrow from next year, as they will need those points for themselves. Completely understandable!

I want to add an additional 3 nights onto the front of the trip. Looking for an inexpensive place to stay for those nights. We have stayed at all levels (almost every resort on property), but it's been years since we stayed at a value resort. It will be myself and 3 teens, 17, 17, 15.

This is what I am considering based on what is available with the military discount. Actually I already booked Sports, but am fine with changing if I need to.

All Star Sports $152 per night
    All Star Moives $152 per night
    Shades of Green $155 per night

I also priced the moderate resorts and Caribbean Beach is only $50 more per night. Its our favorite moderate, but with the construction I just don't know.

We have stayed at all 3, but not in many, many years. Looking for advice and recent experiences at these resorts. Or should I splurge to avoid the values? Other suggestions? Thanks!

Edit to ask, which of these resorts has had the most recent update in rooms?
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not stayed at Shades, but a moderator on here says the breakfast bar there is NOT to be missed because of selection and value. Definitely something to consider since you have the option of staying there. Also, aren't their rooms much larger? That's greatly beneficial having 3 teenagers with you.

This is from her post regarding stays there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imalismom View Post
    You also can eat breakfast at the best kept secret of all times! Breakfast: Buffet (Includes: Pastries, breads, Eggs, made to order Omelets, made to order Waffles, Quesadilla, Biscuits and Gravy, Bacon, Sausage, and Fresh Fruit), juice/milk/coffee/soda and a whole bunch more.... $13.95 adults $6.95 kids 5-11, kids 4 and under free
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

4. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm always an advocate of moderates over values. Depending on the construction status, flip a coin on the value. Though I've never done teh shades. Based on the breakfast bar comment, i'd say that is the winner.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Shades of green will always get my top vote, over any resort at WDW and I have stayed at all of them. I just booked my next Shades stay yesterday infact. They have done a lot of upgrades to their rooms. Stayed there last month if you have any specific questions.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that I'd go with Shades of Green. It would give you the most space for the lowest cost. Also, if I were splitting a stay, I'd choose two resorts with more contrast in the theme. (CBR and the Poly are different but still "beach-y" to me.)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

If you're staying the first part of your trip at the Poly, Shades makes for an easy transition. I agree with others that have suggested you'd like the large room size at Shades. Keep in mind though that the Shades bus is not a Disney bus. Accordingly, for MK you'll get dropped at the TTC rather than the front entrance. You can walk from Shades to the Poly and get on the monorail there, though I'm not sure how the walk will feel in the heat of May. It was a pleasant walk in January
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh! I am all about Shades, but the kids want a "Disney resort".

We have stayed at Shades before, and the main thing we did not like at all was the bus situation, and that hasn't changed. Thought I could sway them with larger rooms, but they all looked at me like I had two heads! Lol. Apparently they don't care about room size.

Its only for three nights. The first night we will arrive late, next two nights will be longish park days, then check out early to head to the Poly. I guess a value will be sufficient.

Next question. Which of the values has had the most recent refurb? I know pop just had one, but it wasn't available for my nights. Otherwise it would have been our pick.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Have never stayed at Shades or any of the All Stars, but I have friends and family who have stayed at both. Everyone loves Shades of Green...room size is great. The complaints I’ve heard about the All Stars is room size. With theee teens and yourself, I think you’d be very cramped! My vote is for SOG!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Sigh! I am all about Shades, but the kids want a "Disney resort".

We have stayed at Shades before, and the main thing we did not like at all was the bus situation, and that hasn't changed. Thought I could sway them with larger rooms, but they all looked at me like I had two heads! Lol. Apparently they don't care about room size.

Its only for three nights. The first night we will arrive late, next two nights will be longish park days, then check out early to head to the Poly. I guess a value will be sufficient.

Next question. Which of the values has had the most recent refurb? I know pop just had one, but it wasn't available for my nights. Otherwise it would have been our pick.
    I didn't see Art of Animation on your list. Maybe you can stay there.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed at either, but I would choose Shades of Green for it's closeness to MK and the transportation center. I looked at pictures on the web and it looks like a beautiful place (nicer than the values in my opinion). And you will be staying at a Disney resort....just not the first 3 days!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd stay at Shades of Green or a moderate.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

14. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I didn't see Art of Animation on your list. Maybe you can stay there.
    Thought about it, but its not available for my dates with the military discount. Our first choice value was pop, also not available.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    I've never stayed at either, but I would choose Shades of Green for it's closeness to MK and the transportation center. I looked at pictures on the web and it looks like a beautiful place (nicer than the values in my opinion). And you will be staying at a Disney resort....just not the first 3 days!
    We won't be doing MK on the days we would be there.
    Denise

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: