Quantcast Disneyland and Disney World Prices Going Up - Date Based Pricing Coming

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland and Disney World Prices Going Up - Date Based Pricing Coming

From Disney:

We know how important making memories at Disney theme parks is to families and we will continue to evolve our pricing in way that gives families a range of options to meet their budget and helps better spread attendance throughout the year so they can make the most of every visit.

Disneyland® Resort

Effective Feb. 11, 2018 ticket prices, including Annual Passport prices at Disneyland Resort will be adjusted. As a part of this adjustment, the Annual Passport renewal discount will be discontinued.

Walt Disney World® Resort

Effective Feb. 11, 2018, ticket prices at Walt Disney World Resort will be adjusted. Other price adjustments include theme park parking, theme park lockers and Minnie Van service.

As previously shared, later this year, Walt Disney World Resort plans to implement date-based pricing. Given the small percentage of Guests that purchase a 1-day ticket at Walt Disney World, extending pre-published, date-specific pricing to multi-day tickets will further advance our efforts spread to attendance throughout the year and ensure all Guests have a magical experience no matter when they visit.

You may notice some increases on your packages on Feb. 21, 2018. If you have a reservation with a deposit, we will honor that rate.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2. Thanks Jeff thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just reading an article about it in the Orlando Sentinel. It says "The hike comes as Disney tries to even out attendance throughout the year so guests aren’t stuck waiting in line and have a better time."

So I totally appreciate that aspect of it. I don't wanna pay through the nose to go, and then only be able to see the Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress and maybe ride the TTA because of crowds.

The article also says this: "At the gate, a one-day regular Magic Kingdom ticket will cost $119, a $4 increase. A value ticket will cost $109, a $2 increase, while a peak ticket will now cost $129, a $5 increase.

For the other three parks — Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom — prices are also increasing.

A one-day regular ticket is $114, a $7 increase. A value ticket will cost $102, a $3 increase, while a peak ticket is $122, a $3 increase."

Okay, so a couple bucks here and there doesn't seem all that bad. But year after year after year?
    They are seriously close to park passes hitting the point where I won't wanna pay it anymore. I know a lot of people who can't afford to go already, and with every increase, they are quickly pricing out more people. To be brutally honest, I'm heading to WDW in a week, but we've decided to only do two days at the parks versus the four we normally do. We are adding a day at Universal and then we're just gonna relax. So I guess in that context, they ARE helping spread the crowds out...by people just not going anymore! Lol!

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

5. Likes AgentC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So glad I renewed my AP last week.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when these announcements generated a lot of noise. This one seems fairly controversial to me, at least for the Disneyland folks. I suppose the real surprise will come when the other shoe drops and we find out what this future date-based pricing is all about.

I only like the idea if it is transparent demand-based pricing. For instance, the first people to buy a ticket for a specific day get a deal and the price steadily goes up as thresholds are crossed. Of course, there needs to be a very reasonable method of swapping/returning these. Ideally, a system that allows you to track what demand is like for the days you bought would also allow you to return them and choose another set of days that are less in demand or maybe even bank them for a time period.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on Iger's comments on the recent earnings call, I am surprised the increases were not even larger.... but then again more increases coming later this year .....
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I remember when these announcements generated a lot of noise. This one seems fairly controversial to me, at least for the Disneyland folks. I suppose the real surprise will come when the other shoe drops and we find out what this future date-based pricing is all about.

I only like the idea if it is transparent demand-based pricing. For instance, the first people to buy a ticket for a specific day get a deal and the price steadily goes up as thresholds are crossed. Of course, there needs to be a very reasonable method of swapping/returning these. Ideally, a system that allows you to track what demand is like for the days you bought would also allow you to return them and choose another set of days that are less in demand or maybe even bank them for a time period.
    Great idea, unfortunately it won’t happen. They will define peak season based on historical models and charge more for pre defined periods of the year.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Great idea, unfortunately it won’t happen. They will define peak season based on historical models and charge more for pre defined periods of the year.
    That is clearly for their own benefit, yet they will sell it as them working hard "to make your visit more magical." They could make this a winner for them, the guest, and the entire marketplace by changing the game.

Post Thanks / Like

As predictable as the sun rising and setting .....
    Ian şOş
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ş0ş

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

12. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing just befuddles me. Not the Disney part. I don't like it but it makes sense. They raise prices and people keep coming.

I just don't get the average guest (not the Disney fan just an average vacationer) It's a little different for me being an FL resident who goes frequently because I still pay less as a resident and can go enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe it is still the "once in a lifetime" and guests with enough money that they don't care who help support these prices. It seems like every year this happens and the belief is the increased prices will make the crowds go down but I'm not feeling that when I go.

I was at DHS three weeks ago on a Friday at 2 pm. Average wait for everything was 60 minutes. No Fast Passes available until after 5. Construction walls everywhere. Parking lot is a hot mess. We ended up watching the Indiana Jones show because there was nothing else we could do other than walk around or wait in a line. Yet the park was packed.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    Yet the park was packed.
    Unfortunately, the current state of DHS (and, really, the way it has been for several years now) has terrible crowd flow that makes it seem packed even when it might not be. Further, the scam of the way the tickets work forces people into time at the other parks that aren't necessarily worth the price of entry (this is absolutely true for DHS at this time, and at various times has been true for AK/Epcot).

Post Thanks / Like

I am agree that the ticket can force people to stay at a park that they don't want to because they have no other option.

And yes DHS does not have a good layout but it was definitely packed for a Friday in January. Not holiday packed but definitely uncomfortable, people everywhere, getting stuck in crowds busy. Of course everything that is closed makes it so much worse because there are so few places for anyone to go. If there was , it would feel much less crowded.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

16. Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    That is clearly for their own benefit, yet they will sell it as them working hard "to make your visit more magical." They could make this a winner for them, the guest, and the entire marketplace by changing the game.
    Just like FP+. It was all about crowd management and squeezing as many people in the park as possible but they had the gall to claim it would create "spontenity."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    The whole thing just befuddles me. Not the Disney part. I don't like it but it makes sense. They raise prices and people keep coming.

I just don't get the average guest (not the Disney fan just an average vacationer) It's a little different for me being an FL resident who goes frequently because I still pay less as a resident and can go enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe it is still the "once in a lifetime" and guests with enough money that they don't care who help support these prices. It seems like every year this happens and the belief is the increased prices will make the crowds go down but I'm not feeling that when I go.

I think it is iconic, so people will want to come no matter what. Plus, if you don't go too frequently, you really don't notice the price increases. If you build it, they will come. With all the changes, the new aspects, people will come. They sell those stupid mickey ears, you can't do anything with. THey sell a ton of those. People will buy whatever. Plus, when you look at the overall cost, whats a few hundred more (maybe).
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I get price increases. They happen - maybe a little too often at Disney, but they happen. The gall of them trying to throw it at us as a benefit for us is what disgusts me. Be honest about it. Say "yeah, we're greedy and want more".
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

20. Likes RunDMV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting to feel like an old-fart, sittin on the porch with a "Well back in MY day it only cost us...." .
    I think it boils down to:
    1. no matter what pricing model they adopt, the other major players will pretty much keep pace so they will never stand out. If it ever looks like they are losing gate they just have themselves a "sale".
    2. When a family commits to the major $ of a disney vacation the price of the tickets is actually a smaller portion of the total price even though it is what gets fixated on. A few dollars will rarely make the difference and Disney knows this.
    3. The water is getting mighty warm, but the frog aint moved yet. So long as overall attendance does not drop precipitously and people keep checking the box that says "a good value for my vacation dollars" on the surveys, they have carte blanche.
    I love to grump about it but I started going in the early 80s when parking was $1 and a 3 day park hopper (military discount) was $42.
    And I haven't stopped yet.

22. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see some survey data on the percentage of Disney park guests that are repeat customers.

I would guess that a large percentage are once in a lifetime visitors, with another large percentage being maybe two trips in a lifetime. Those of us on forums like Intercot, (who make numerous park visits in a lifetime) are probably a very small minority of the overall number of park guests in a given year. We are like hard-core addicts, who will keep paying for the magic no matter what, as long as we have the money. And Disney knows this, so they don't care too much about our complaining; they know we'll keep buying anyway.

And if we do decide to quit, it's no big deal to Disney anyway, since we are just a small minority of their market. Besides, for any of us that decide to kick the habit due to price increases, they know they have a much larger number of new first time users ready to pay the price.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

24. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I would love to see some survey data on the percentage of Disney park guests that are repeat customers.

I would guess that a large percentage are once in a lifetime visitors, with another large percentage being maybe two trips in a lifetime. Those of us on forums like Intercot, (who make numerous park visits in a lifetime) are probably a very small minority of the overall number of park guests in a given year. We are like hard-core addicts, who will keep paying for the magic no matter what, as long as we have the money. And Disney knows this, so they don't care too much about our complaining; they know we'll keep buying anyway.
    Take this with a grain of salt because I got it from a book about Disney World that was published in the early 2000's. According to the book (I think it was called "The Disney Way" but I might be thinking of another book) between 75% and 85% of Disney World guest are repeat customers, and the average time between visits is seven years.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I always get a little sticker shock when I see the prices for a single day ticket to Disney World. Then I remember a couple of things 1) The majority of guest do not buy single day tickets and a lot of people that do are Florida residents that get a discount. 2) Even the peak season price is cheaper than a ticket to many pro sporting events.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

And if we do decide to quit, it's no big deal to Disney anyway, since we are just a small minority of their market. Besides, for any of us that decide to kick the habit due to price increases, they know they have a much larger number of new first time users ready to pay the price.
    You may have a point (or two) but with the number of DVC rooms and 'owners,' I think you'll find the number of repeat visitors is higher than you think...at least at WDW. It would be interesting to see the number of Annual Passholders there are and compare that number to the number of DVC 'owners' and go from there. Certainly there are a number of 'one timers' and infrequent visitors, but I would put those in the 50% or less basket.

Just my opinion, of course.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

\

We are like hard-core addicts, who will keep paying for the magic no matter what, as long as we have the money. And Disney knows this, so they don't care too much about our complaining; they know we'll keep buying anyway.
    Well, I think that sums it up. When you have an addict, you can charge whatever. A trip to McD's Playland or Six Flags doesn't get the fix.

So either you have people who go so infrequently they don't notice or care, there isn't another fix/option, or you have addicts who will keep coming.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite