Quantcast Charging Resort Guests for Overnight Parking

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging Resort Guests for Overnight Parking

Just read a story from what normally is a reliable source, that WDW is planning on charging resort guests an add'l fee to park overnight at the resorts. The amounts and when it will begin was not announced.

If this is true, and again, source seemed reliable, this is a incredible money grab even for Disney. I can see charging guests, who are not staying at the resort, a fee if they want to dine or shop there, but it would be an outrage to charge a guest to park overnight at their resort, especially when many if not most have ample parking.

What next, take away the perk that resort guests don't have to pay for parking at the parks? We fly in and take ME to the resort, but we often rent a car for faster transportation. If we have to pay to park, I certainly wouldn't rent, which means they are putting more pressure on an already overused bus system.

Just makes me

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Shades of Green has charged for parking
    for as long as I can remember- but they
    do have a lot a small walk away that is free. I do
    pay for parking there, however even with
    parking the deal is a good deal.

I am not happy with this at all WDW.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

I guess they just want people to stop staying "on site." Opening up EMH to non-Disney hotels and charging for resort parking (and probably dropping 'Free Parking at the Parks' at the same time) without dropping room prices is just adding to the 'money grabs.'

Quoting another site for the info...

Disney to Begin Charging Nightly Parking Fees for Resort Guests Next Week
    By Amanda Kondolojy, Wednesday, March 14, 2018 13:51

Though Walt Disney World has always charged a flat fee for guests parking at its theme parks, the resort made waves today by announcing a new policy that will bring parking fees to resort guests, beginning March 21st. Guests with bookings made from this day forward will have to pay a daily fee to park their car at the resort, with a sliding fee scale depending on what resort the guest is staying at. Here’s the fee breakdown:

Deluxe Resorts: $25 per night
    Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
    Value Resorts: $13 per night
    These fees are only for overnight guests staying at the resorts, and guests visiting other resorts for dining, shopping, etc. will not be charged for parking temporarily at the resort.

Interestingly, it was announced that while this change will add quite the cost to most Walt Disney World resort guests, Disney Vacation Club Members will be exempt from this fee only when staying at Deluxe Villa Resorts.

In addition to the daily parking fee, guests who use the Valet Parking amenity at Disney resorts will also see an increase in the fee to use this service, with the price going up from $25 to $33, also effective next week.

Though the addition of a nightly parking fee certainly comes as a bit of a shock to many, it may not be surprising when put into context, as Disney recently hiked ticket prices, have confirmed that they will be raising admission costs again later this year, and have been adding upcharge after upcharge to the Walt Disney World experience, even rolling out a special paid-for FastPass+ tier that can only be purchased by Walt Disney World’s highest paying guests.

And while no one like the idea of paying an average of $20 a night to leave a car at a resort, with attendance at an all time high in spite of rising costs, it is doubtful that Disney will see much of an effect on guest levels because of this change, especially with Star Wars Land on the way next year. It also may be worth noting that while Walt Disney World has historically had free parking at its resorts, there are plenty of hotels that do charge an overnight parking fee, including all of the hotels on property at next-door neighbor Universal Orlando Resort, which charges between $12-$20 nightly for parking at connected hotels.

What do you think about Walt Disney World’s newest fee?
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

What about AP holders?? You get free parking at the parks. Can I just park at the park over night?? Also I see it says booked after March 21. Does that mean I am in the clear for my trip I already have booked for July?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    What about AP holders?? You get free parking at the parks. Can I just park at the park over night?? Also I see it says booked after March 21. Does that mean I am in the clear for my trip I already have booked for July?

I'm sure you already know this and were being sarcastic, but no, you cannot park at a park all night.

Good questions about being booked prior to this going into effect. You MAY be charged at the resort once you have checked in, but you may want to call and check first.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Post Thanks / Like

You have got to be kidding me. This one really ticks me off. When I look for hotels when I am going somewhere, I start with one of the search criteria being free parking to see if I can find something.

Post Thanks / Like

We do pay for parking at the Swan and Dolphin, but I can usually get a good rate for those rooms compared to the rates at other Deluxe resorts. It makes me wonder about their rationale for doing this. The Good Neighbor hotels near Disney Springs are much less expensive even with resort fees and parking charges. They are allowing those guests to have EMH now too.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a trip booked before the fees go into effect on March 21 st you will not have to pay the fees. Any trip paid after March 21 st will be paying the fee. Crazy! Pricing people right out of visiting

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that if you have your reservation booked prior to the March 21 "Gouge me and bend me over" date, you are grandfathered in.

But its an extra $200 if you actually want a key to your room.

Post Thanks / Like

And in related news, Disney is also announcing the creation of the Reedy Creek Toll Road Authority...... visitors with Magic bands will be able waive their arms when entering WDW from any of the entrances.... those without magic bands will be able to buy an EZ Mouse Reader to make use of during you travels though out Disney World ..... and remember you can accessorize your EZ Mouse Reader to ensure that the tolls being paid will always be part of your magical experience ......
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Heard about parking fees for the first time a few years ago when I had just bought my new car and was ready for a road trip. We've always flown before that. But certainly been hearing about it more and more so no surprise that Disney would jump on this.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

This is very much live on the official disney website. Just type in Parking to the search bar to pull the policy up.

I'm so angry over this one.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

14. Likes eam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From our friend Wendy Lewis at Magical Journeys (from facebook):

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT to anyone who has a 2018 Disney Vacation already BOOKED AND DEPOSITED.....today's Parking Fee Increase DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR VACATION at all !!!!

The parking policy is for bookings made March 21 and beyond.
    Anyone already booked may breathe a sigh of relief!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

16. Thanks Hammer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Prediction - once this becomes the "new norm" and daily parking at the parks hits $25, resort guests will have to begin paying as well .....
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Full disclosure - I'm not usually one that automatically goes for the "blatant money grab" theory every time Disney ups their prices.

But here's my initial thoughts on this.

From the Disney site info about parking, it appears that:

Resort guests will be charged an overnight parking fee.

Visitors to the resort get complimentary parking.

DVC members are exempt when staying at DVC resorts (whether on points or cash). I understand this one. Florida timeshare laws dictate this.

My question: how in blazes are they planning on enforcing this. Do the Security Guards now become parking lot attendants? Scenario - If a guest arrives at POP and enters the parking lot at 11am by telling the guard they're just looking the place over, not by saying they're checking in,

Then checks in and says they don't have a car

Leaves the car parked and never uses it until they leave

How will Disney ever know the car shouldn't be there? Are they going to have security take an inventory every night? If they discovered a trespassing vehicle, how would they track it back to a specific guest? (Well, obviously, given enough resources and willingness they could, but would it be worth it?) Will they tow vehicles they think shouldn't be there? (That will not end well).
    Are they going to reconfigure the lots and gate them so that a portion (most) of the lot is for overnight guests but some portion will be for the visitors and folks checking in? That'll do nothing but reduce the number of available parking spaces that actual hotel guests can use.

Just a few random thoughts

It seems to me that the implementation of this is going to be costly, largely unenforceable and a PR nightmare.

It also seems backwards. Punish hotel guests to park, but allow visitors to park for free? Really? Why not charge the day guests an hourly fee to park at the resorts instead.

But then, in this case, maybe there really isn't a parking "problem" they're trying to solve and it actually is a "blatant money grab".

Seriously annoyed about this, even though I'm DVC.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    Full disclosure - I'm not usually one that automatically goes for the "blatant money grab" theory every time Disney ups their prices.

But here's my initial thoughts on this.

From the Disney site info about parking, it appears that:

Resort guests will be charged an overnight parking fee.

Visitors to the resort get complimentary parking.

DVC members are exempt when staying at DVC resorts (whether on points or cash). I understand this one. Florida timeshare laws dictate this.

My question: how in blazes are they planning on enforcing this. Do the Security Guards now become parking lot attendants? Scenario - If a guest arrives at POP and enters the parking lot at 11am by telling the guard they're just looking the place over, not by saying they're checking in,

Then checks in and says they don't have a car

Leaves the car parked and never uses it until they leave

How will Disney ever know the car shouldn't be there? Are they going to have security take an inventory every night? If they discovered a trespassing vehicle, how would they track it back to a specific guest? (Well, obviously, given enough resources and willingness they could, but would it be worth it?) Will they tow vehicles they think shouldn't be there? (That will not end well).
    Are they going to reconfigure the lots and gate them so that a portion (most) of the lot is for overnight guests but some portion will be for the visitors and folks checking in? That'll do nothing but reduce the number of available parking spaces that actual hotel guests can use.

Just a few random thoughts

It seems to me that the implementation of this is going to be costly, largely unenforceable and a PR nightmare.

It also seems backwards. Punish hotel guests to park, but allow visitors to park for free? Really? Why not charge the day guests an hourly fee to park at the resorts instead.

But then, in this case, maybe there really isn't a parking "problem" they're trying to solve and it actually is a "blatant money grab".

Seriously annoyed about this, even though I'm DVC.

Steve
    Thanks Steve, for a minute there I thought I was crazy. So these visitors/day guests from the DS hotels that are sharing in EMH and FP perks now will get free parking???? I thought part of the problem was day guest parking at resorts with park access and leaving their cars for the day which crowded the lots. So the solution is to penalize the resort guests. seriously?

To clarify, my sense of annoyance is not directed at those that stay at DS but rather at Disney's decisions lately of making the resort guest's stay anything but magical. If I had a crystal ball I would predict they will be converting more hotel rooms to DVC and making deals with the DS hotels for a revenue stream without the added responsibilities.
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 03-14-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

So now, as a driving guest, I still have to pay for MDE service that I don't use, and on top of that I have to pay to park my car. I literally just booked my expected next trip in order to beat the deadline, and this may be my final trip onsite, if not my final trip period (and I can confidently say that I have never uttered this statement before!). I am livid.

And everything Fangorn said hit it perfect, how in the <snipped myself> are they going to manage this? Does this spell the end of bypassing the front desk, aka direct to room, for drivers???

I think I will send my first ever complaint email to WDW Communications.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

21. Likes eam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree it's a money grab. But enforcement will be easy (or at least easy to threaten enforcement) as guests with cards will be given a parking pass to display on the dashboard (you already get these with "free" parking). A parking officer rides around the lot in a golf car checking for passes. "Vehicles without passes will get towed or booted" is added to your room contract small print. That's enough to enforce it right there. Temporary visitors get a pass with a time deadline. Parking fees of an average of $20 per day per car will more than cover the cost of enforcement. Most hotels that have their own parking lots/garages already charge for parking, but it's another perk of an "on-site" Disney vacation disappearing. IMO, they would have gotten less negative feedback by keeping "free" parking but just raising the nightly rates. The bottom line is the same, but it's all about the perception.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

23. Thanks Hammer thanked for this post
    Likes Tekneek, dnickels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a MagicBand reader at the gate....If you are staying at the resort, it charges your room account. If you are not staying at the resort, it lets you go through free of charge. No MagicBand, Security has to pass you through after checking your passport, travel papers, and getting the blood of your first born. Stupid, yes, but that seems to be the way of the "money grab."
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised they did this, the parks have had record attendance so that usually means price increases somewhere, although I'm surprised they were able to bring this about without the rumor mill swirling around it beforehand. While I'm sure some people may actually reduce or stop visiting, Disney knows the regular visitors (just look at the sig lines in this thread) are addicts and will be back. An extra $140 for their weeklong vacation isn't going to change that.

As joonyer said this won't be hard to enforce.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: