Quantcast Charging Resort Guests for Overnight Parking - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattHolst View Post
    It’s a hidden fee that you normally don’t find out about until you’re there. I think it’s something most people would prefer to just have added to the room rate than be told on check-in that there’s a “parking fee”. Come on. They hit me with that at Shades of Green when I took my family last year. I had everything budgeted out perfectly until I was hit with that on check in. It’s really a lousy way to do business. Just increase the room cost and quit with the bait and switch tactics already. I think people appreciate knowing up front how much everything will cost prior to the trip.
    Just FYI - there is a parking lot at Shades of Green (to the right, right before you get to the hill that leads to SOG, but past the guard gate). that you can park at for free but if you want to park in the parking garage they do charge a fee
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    They seem to be filling most of the 'value' priced rooms at each resort, but cannot get the 'top of the line' rooms filled...even with discounts of 30% or more.
    I wonder what that says about the market's willingness to absorb rate increases indefinitely...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I wonder what that says about the market's willingness to absorb rate increases indefinitely...
    Is this also a push for regular visitors to become DVC owners? It's already discussed that more DVC rooms will become available in the next few years. If I understand the new parking policy correctly, DVC members will not have the parking fee.

I'm thinking more and more every day that they focus on marketing to the once-in-a-lifetime visitor or the once-every-10-year visitor.... not the regular visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    I asked her if she was claiming that DME service cost Disney nothing, or if she was claming that parking lots cost Disney more to operate than DME? Her response was "certainly not"
    I'd love to know the cost to operate DME and I've NEVER used it. That may change in the future though.

She said while it has always been official policy that anyone driving to another resort should only be allowed in if they have a meal reservation, Disney has very rarely enforced this policy. However, she was very firm that as the new policy comes into effect, there will be NO CAR allowed inside a resort's parking lot unless it's their home resort or they have an ADR at a restaurant within that resort. To make it clear how specific she was being, she gave me an example of how she personally enjoys eating at Mara's at AKL, and because Mara is CS and not TS that she would no longer be allow to park at AKL to go visit Mara, that she would have to park at the AK parking lot.
    I just have to say we stayed at AKL last year and ate at Mara a few times. I was not impressed. Definitely not worthy of a special trip to AKL. Ah well... to each their own I guess.

"so let me make sure I understand you fully, I have previously resort-hoped via my car to see Christmas decorations at WL and then the GF the first week of December (not peak times) as well as visited friends at the Cabins, and was waived on through the gate no problem, but now I will unconditionally not be allowed to do this?" Her response was "yes, that is correct".[/B]
    Holiday Resort Tour package options coming soon to WDW...... Cha ching! More money grab.

DH and I already decided not to return to WDW until 2021 or 2022 to avoid the huge crowds as Stars Wars Land first opens. (We're not SW fans anyway so that's not an enticement for us.) Now we may look at staying offsite or waiting. It's long been on our radar of a trip in 2025 for Christmas Holiday decorations as a celebratory trip so we may just wait until then. We've never flown to WDW before but perhaps we'll look into that as an option for our next trip. Either way, it looks like I should probably start saving every penny I can spare right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j2k View Post

DH and I already decided not to return to WDW until 2021 or 2022 to avoid the huge crowds as Stars Wars Land first opens. (We're not SW fans anyway so that's not an enticement for us.) Now we may look at staying offsite or waiting. It's long been on our radar of a trip in 2025 for Christmas Holiday decorations as a celebratory trip so we may just wait until then. We've never flown to WDW before but perhaps we'll look into that as an option for our next trip. Either way, it looks like I should probably start saving every penny I can spare right now.
    Yeah, we are looking at and wondering when we might go back. Between losing things we enjoy, additional hassle and the increase of stuff we aren't huge fans of that will draw crazy crowds, don't know.

I could also see us not go back for 4-5 years. At that point, we might even lose the desire to come back.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

7. Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We just got a pin code room discount offer for this summer. We are having to change our plans for the week of July 4th because a friend is getting married that weekend. We had a trip to the Northwest planned but are having to scrap that and rearrange our summer vacation. I looked at reservations onsite at WDW using the pin code and with the 30% off it is still not that great of a deal. On top of that, the new parking charges at resorts is really turning me off. Along with all the changes, pre-planning, FP+, and reservations, I am for the first time having a really hard time talking myself into going to WDW. I have had a reservation in my cart online for several days now and can't talk myself into going through with it. It is sad that they have made the place so irritating to visit. I am currently looking at other places we may go instead.

9. Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    We just got a pin code room discount offer for this summer. We are having to change our plans for the week of July 4th because a friend is getting married that weekend. We had a trip to the Northwest planned but are having to scrap that and rearrange our summer vacation. I looked at reservations onsite at WDW using the pin code and with the 30% off it is still not that great of a deal. On top of that, the new parking charges at resorts is really turning me off. Along with all the changes, pre-planning, FP+, and reservations, I am for the first time having a really hard time talking myself into going to WDW. I have had a reservation in my cart online for several days now and can't talk myself into going through with it. It is sad that they have made the place so irritating to visit. I am currently looking at other places we may go instead.
    I don't know if you have ever gone on a cruise, but you might consider one. I really enjoy them, and you wouldn't have to go too far to embark on one. If you do go, just make sure you pick a cruise line that fits your taste.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

If that example above from Goofy4TheWorld, about the plan to only allow people with room reservations or dining reservations onto resort property is true, that would be incredibly disappointing. As often as we can, we'll take a few hours from our trip just to go to AKL for lunch at Mara and shopping at Zawadi - our favorite CS and souvenir shop on property. It just seems that if they take that option away, they're costing themselves a lot of business. There are also times of the year where you actually can walk-up at Boma or Jiko for meals - would they turn potential diners away?

I'll bet they'll wave you through if you pay for valet parking, though......

Post Thanks / Like

Don't do it. Don't go. It's the only way they will learn. After FPminus was instituted, I swore off DW. I was an annual+ visitor. I found other fantastic vacation spots n the US: Montana, South Dakota, Tennessee, Kentucky and more. The only reason I went back (and bought an AP) late last year was because we moved to Florida.

We won't go back.

Post Thanks / Like

If some person with land near disney would rent out parking spaces and shuttle people to their resort for real cheap, they would make a fortune.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polarbear72834 View Post
    If some person with land near disney would rent out parking spaces and shuttle people to their resort for real cheap, they would make a fortune.
    Nah, b/c then disney will start charging per person per vehicle just to get into the parking lot.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I know this upset some people, so I wanted to tell you my experience. We drove to Animal Kingdom Lodge a couple of days ago. We were stopped at the security check point. He asked if we were checking in. I told him “No, we are going to eat at Mara.” Mars is a quick service restaurant, for those who don’t know. They don’t take reservations. He asked for my ID and then sent us on through. We went to the Polynesian this morning. Man, the parking lot is awful there. Once again, we stopped at the security checkpoint and told them we had breakfast reservations. He didn’t ask where or verify it at all. He looked at my ID and waved us through. I think you will still be able to go around and look at the other resorts without any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I know this upset some people, so I wanted to tell you my experience. We drove to Animal Kingdom Lodge a couple of days ago. We were stopped at the security check point. He asked if we were checking in. I told him “No, we are going to eat at Mara.” Mars is a quick service restaurant, for those who don’t know. They don’t take reservations. He asked for my ID and then sent us on through. We went to the Polynesian this morning. Man, the parking lot is awful there. Once again, we stopped at the security checkpoint and told them we had breakfast reservations. He didn’t ask where or verify it at all. He looked at my ID and waved us through. I think you will still be able to go around and look at the other resorts without any problems.
    Or he could tell, there are nurses you don't mess with...
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

17. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    Don't do it. Don't go. It's the only way they will learn. After FPminus was instituted, I swore off DW. I was an annual+ visitor. I found other fantastic vacation spots n the US: Montana, South Dakota, Tennessee, Kentucky and more. The only reason I went back (and bought an AP) late last year was because we moved to Florida.

We won't go back.
    Just an update on the pin code we had. I did make a reservation for the first week of July for a room at the Boardwalk after battling with myself over it for a week or so. Then it got down to the 60 day mark where we could make fastpasses and we didn't want to nor did we have time to sit and go through and plan what parks for each day and then go through fastpasses and dining. Planning a vacation should not be so time consuming and difficult. I ended up cancelling the reservation and we are going on a road trip instead. It took me all of 15 minutes to reserve hotels in a couple of places we want to visit.

19. Likes texas211, RunDMV, waymickey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update on the pin code we had. I did make a reservation for the first week of July for a room at the Boardwalk after battling with myself over it for a week or so. Then it got down to the 60 day mark where we could make fastpasses and we didn't want to nor did we have time to sit and go through and plan what parks for each day and then go through fastpasses and dining. Planning a vacation should not be so time consuming and difficult. I ended up cancelling the reservation and we are going on a road trip instead. It took me all of 15 minutes to reserve hotels in a couple of places we want to visit.
    But isn't that why our friends come to us, when its time to book one of the impossible and overwhelming disney vacations? If it wasn't for an inordinate number of decisions to be made, how could someone possibly enjoy disney.

We aren't sure when we'll return either. With SW world coming online, I see that retarding our desire to come back. The proliferation of nonsense at disney has really changed our views in many ways.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

21. Likes RunDMV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    But isn't that why our friends come to us, when its time to book one of the impossible and overwhelming disney vacations? If it wasn't for an inordinate number of decisions to be made, how could someone possibly enjoy disney.

We aren't sure when we'll return either. With SW world coming online, I see that retarding our desire to come back. The proliferation of nonsense at disney has really changed our views in many ways.
    No disrespect intended, but for everyone like you, who is 'swearing off' Disney parks (for whatever reason) there are 5 more waiting to 'jump your grave' and fill your spot.

To paraphrase the words of Yogi Berra: "Nobody goes there anymore...It's too crowded!"

As long as they (Disney) can keep the parks full, they will continue to add to/change/destroy all the things that had brought people to the WDW parks for almost 50 years in the interest of bringing in new/fresh $$$ on a yearly basis. It seems to be working well, as park attendance has never been higher.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Or he could tell, there are nurses you don't mess with...
    That could have been it. My kids say I give off that vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

No disrespect intended, but for everyone like you, who is 'swearing off' Disney parks (for whatever reason) there are 5 more waiting to 'jump your grave' and fill your spot.
    that's not true, and its only true if the parks were at capacity year round. They aren't.

I've seen a few people way that, but there is no waiting list to get into the parks or resorts. So if someone decides not to go to the parks, there isn't someone going in to fill their spot.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I know, and totally agree with you. In fact, that is part of my desire to delay a return. It's going to be bat stuff insane w/ Star Wars coming online. NO thank you. Also for the record, didn't take offense and thought at first you wrote "jump the shark" as was going to give bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    That could have been it. My kids say I give off that vibe.
    I can hear the imperial march. It might be the black nurses outfit you wear w/ the red cross. Looks sinister. Like the baroness in the GIJOE movie.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Our last trip to WDW was during Hurricane Irma last year, so it really hasn't been that long, although it feels like forever. We don't have any trips planned to go back, which is a weird thing for us. We've gone at least once a year for the last 20 or so, and occasionally have gone more than once a year. But my wife decided (two years ago) that she wants to visit all of the National Parks, and so she started planning short trips to see the ones here in the eastern U.S. Then she decided we also needed to see all of the other sites in the National Park System (Preserves, Battlefields, Monuments, etc) along the way to those National Parks. After doing that for a year, I pointed out that there is no way we can afford to do both NPS stuff AND WDW...both in actual money, and in time off from work. Can't do it. So, WDW has been dropped for a while.

I'm sure we'll go back. We just spent one day at Disney Springs in early May at the tail end of a trip through the National Parks in South Florida. It made me a little homesick for WDW. I'm frustrated with some of the changes (charging for parking, FP+), and excited for some others (Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Tron Light Cycle Coaster). But maybe we get our Disney fix in other ways.

We're currently saving up for a Hawai'i trip in November of 2019. Planning to stay at Aulani for a few days. Maybe we'll spend a few days in So. Cal as well, and hit Disneyland. I haven't been there since 1996. Maybe I'll look at a Disney Cruise, as we've never done that. There are a lot of different ways to get a Disney fix without booking a trip to WDW, I think.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: