Quantcast Driving from Philly. Where to stopover?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving from Philly. Where to stopover?

Finalizing details for our next trip in the beginning of November. Airfare is nuts right now for our travel dates so we are fairly certain we’ll be driving from Philadelphia with our almost-4yo DD. We’ve done the drive before, but it was 10 years ago- no kids! So we drove right through. I figured I’d pop in here and see if anybody had a recommendation for a favorite and relatively inexpensive hotel by 95 to stay at for our stopover?
    We are most likely leaving Halloween around 6 and figure we can at least make it to Richmond, maybe even a little further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When I'm doing longer trips I usually don't pick a stopping destination until later in the day. Weather, traffic, accidents, all of those things can really throw a wrench into the best-laid plans and there's nothing more frustrating than being exhausted at 9 PM but feeling like you have to keep driving for a few more hours because you already booked a room somewhere or you just 'had to' get to point X on the map tonight.

There are so many hotels along I-95 that I'd just drive until late afternoon or early evening. At that point when you feel like you've got another hour or few hours of driving still in you, pull up an app like priceline or something similar and look in areas about that much further down the road. They have hotel ratings on them so you'll know if the hotel is nice or not that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    When I'm doing longer trips I usually don't pick a stopping destination until later in the day. Weather, traffic, accidents, all of those things can really throw a wrench into the best-laid plans and there's nothing more frustrating than being exhausted at 9 PM but feeling like you have to keep driving for a few more hours because you already booked a room somewhere or you just 'had to' get to point X on the map tonight.

There are so many hotels along I-95 that I'd just drive until late afternoon or early evening. At that point when you feel like you've got another hour or few hours of driving still in you, pull up an app like priceline or something similar and look in areas about that much further down the road. They have hotel ratings on them so you'll know if the hotel is nice or not that way.
    I really appreciate that bit of advice. Usually, that’s how we roll, but I feel compelled to plan this time. Now that we have our daughter, it makes me a bit more nervous not to have a set stopping point. Maybe we could have a few in mind all along the way and then let the timing decide. I just don’t want to be totally blind with a 4yo in tow. My husband is also infamous for just pushing through! We also drove to Ft Lauderdale once straight through! One difference with those trips was that we left early in the morning vs in the evening for this one.

~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody knows that the place to stop is South of the Border! Actually better to skip it than stop.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

6. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrowncatP View Post
    Everybody knows that the place to stop is South of the Border! Actually better to skip it than stop.
    HAH! I enjoy seeing the signs... but we have never stopped (and don’t plan on it).

~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

We used to drive from FL to NJ often. A nice, mid-way point for us was exit 95 (Smithfield) in North Carolina. It has many hotels directly off the interstate, dining, and some shopping even (an outlet mall).
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

9. Thanks PirateLover thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    We used to drive from FL to NJ often. A nice, mid-way point for us was exit 95 (Smithfield) in North Carolina. It has many hotels directly off the interstate, dining, and some shopping even (an outlet mall).
    Perfect!!!! Definitely will keep in mind.

~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrowncatP View Post
    That place is still in business??!?!?!?!?!?!
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    That place is still in business??!?!?!?!?!?!
    Yes, South of the Border is still there and open. I checked before I made my comment.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from the Philly area and back in the day when we drove to Disney, we stopped at either Rocky Mount or Fayetteville, NC. Now if we are not flying we take the AutoTrain from Lorton, Va. The train brings you to Sanford, FL. This is a fun way to start the vacation.

14. Likes PirateLover, CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done the drive from MA to FL and back three times over the last year. Most often, we stop in Fredericksburg, VA. We've also done Chester, VA.

I'd suggest using Google Maps to estimate how far you want to go your first day and then search for nearby hotels. Your best bet is somewhere very close to I-95 so if you arrive in the dark you won't have trouble navigating.

We reserved in advance since we were traveling with our dog; if we didn't have a dog I would probably select a couple options in advance and then see how the drive goes. Even through the non-city legs of the trip, I've encountered terrible traffic due to accidents or roadwork that can unexpectedly slow things down.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

16. Likes PirateLover liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1979 View Post
    I've done the drive from MA to FL and back three times over the last year. Most often, we stop in Fredericksburg, VA. We've also done Chester, VA.

I'd suggest using Google Maps to estimate how far you want to go your first day and then search for nearby hotels. Your best bet is somewhere very close to I-95 so if you arrive in the dark you won't have trouble navigating.

We reserved in advance since we were traveling with our dog; if we didn't have a dog I would probably select a couple options in advance and then see how the drive goes. Even through the non-city legs of the trip, I've encountered terrible traffic due to accidents or roadwork that can unexpectedly slow things down.
    True, VA traffic can be an absolute nightmare.

~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your travel day, I would call ahead and book (Weekends, etc) more busy.

I like the Hilton Garden Inn, been there on business. More parking usually available.

I'd stay further south of downtown (again depending on your day, if its a weekday, morning rush hour and business travelers taking up the breakfast area). Course this depends if you are on 95 or 295 to bypass downtown.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite