Quantcast California Grill - an outstanding meal for a special occasion

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default California Grill - an outstanding meal for a special occasion

Just finished a wonderful anniversary dinner with Husband at Californian Grill. It was the first time for both of us here and we left with plans to go back ASAP. Here’s a recap....

Dinner started in a stressful manner because we weee running late. Being late is one thing I can’t stand. We got our Uber from Universal half an hour before our ADR and we knew we would be cutting it close on the best of days, so of course I-4 was a parking lot and we slowly crawled through traffic. Then once we got on property our driver missed the turns twice to get to the Magic Kingdom and then the Contemporary. I was so stressed because I had been looking forward to this dinner for so long and just wanted it to go smoothly and this was not off to a good start. We checked in almost 25 minutes late but the CMs were so great. They said a lot of guests mentioned the heavy traffic and lots of Uber drivers are having trouble with the construction on the MK roads right now. Anyway, they called upstairs and had a table ready so we headed straight up the elevator.

Everything happens for a reason, right? Because if we hadn’t been delayed, maybe we wouldn’t have gotten a dream table location. Next to the window directly overlooking the Magic Kingdom. We watched the sun set and the park light up as night fell and as we enjoyed our meal and of course we had a clutch view of the fireworks plus the Electric Water Pageant!

But back to food. We stared with cocktails while my adrenaline levels came down. I had a Blackberry Lemonade and Husband had the Cali Grill version of a Manhattan. Both drinks were boozy and tasty, especially the Manhattan it was the smoothest I’ve ever tasted. For appetizers we shared a New Moon roll and Parsnip cream soup, both were delicious and the sushi was so well prepared. It was a huge roll, too. Our main dishes came just before the fireworks started, so we ate and watched from the table instead of going outside. I had the pork loin with goat cheese polenta and Husband had the seared bison with potato gnocchi. Both dishes were absolutely divine and we were so full we couldn’t finish them. That’s not to say we skipped dessert, because we definitely didn’t! We shared the warm chocolate cake, which was a good choice because it was the richest cake I’ve ever had. Deep chocolate flavor in the cake, vanilla ice cream and a salted dark chocolate cream - we almost died, it was so good.

The service was great from start to finish. Our server, Katie, was knowledgeable and very experienced. She never rushed us, wasn’t pushy, and made sure we were happy at each point of our meal. She made herself available without hovering, which I really appreciated, and she put up with our silly questions about the restaurant. Want to know how often the $1,000 pour of Port gets ordered? About once a year, she said.

Our incredible view aside, we felt the atmosphere apart from the fireworks to be a bit lacking. It was much louder in there than either of us anticipated, and the dress code was not enforced. I had made sure we packed nice clothes for this meal and there were nicely dressed guests, but there were many more pairs of shorts, sneakers, tank tops and baseball caps. It was disappointing. We also were amazed at how many families were being seated after 9pm with small children. Our kids barely make it past 7 without eating dinner and there is no way we’d survive eating that late on vacation.

All told, we loved our experience and want to return at the first opportunity.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We had our first dinner st the California Grill on April 24th. It was a very special night as it was our daughters birthday. The night was amazing from start to finish! We were seated by the window also with that wonderful view. Our waiter Walter was amazing. I was very stressed as at check in they could not find any record of the specialty cake I had ordered for my daughters birthday. A few minutes after we were seated Walter whispered in my ear that they had found it. All four of us had amazing meals. The drinks were fantastic also. My very picky mother in law found just the right wine. We were not rushed at all. Watched the fireworks from our table as it was windy and a bit cold outside. When it was time to bring the cake Walter had put candles on it and when he brought it to our table sang happy birthday with us. He also informed us that the manager had said there would be no charge for the cake due to the fact the caused me undo stress at the beginning of our evening. Something I never expected but appreciated. We really enjoyed the evening of birthday celebrating and will return in the future!

4. Likes BriarRose0708 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll be going to California Grill for the first time in November. Cannot wait to try it. We're celebrating my birthday this trip
    November 2018 - Coronado Springs/Pop Century
    October 2017 - Disneyland
    March 2017 - All Star Sports & Boardwalk
    October 2015 - AKL Kidani
    March/April 2014 - Pop Century Resort
    Nov/Dec 2005 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    Nov/Dec 2004 - Pop Century Resort
    February 2003 - All Star Movies

6. Likes BriarRose0708 liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: