Quantcast Flower & Garden Solo Shot -- Around the Dapper F&G World in 6 Days - Day 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flower & Garden Solo Shot -- Around the Dapper F&G World in 6 Days - Day 3

WARNING: I tend to write novels when a synopsis would do....

Day 3: Saturday, April 28, 2018 -- AK & MK

Cast of Characters: Me, myself and I -- 56 year old kid!!

Starting to slow down already...Don't bother setting an alarm and wake up around 7:30AM. Take the time to grab a food court breakfast and mug of coffee. OK, ready to go!

No wait for Animal Kingdom bus this morning, so I am on my way shortly after 8. Have a 9:10AM FP+ for Na'vi River Journey, but there is a PhotoPass photographer at the Tree of Life entrance and I get a few pics, one with the 20th anniversary butterfly board. Something to remember being down for the 20th!!! I have a little time, so I wander over to Africa to see if there are any 20th hats or button down shirts to buy. Only one hat, that I wasn't too keen on, so no $$$ to Disney for merchandise today!

Took the back way into Pandora and got a hot coffee. Gotta have my java!! Sipped on this as I headed over to NRJ. Still got there with 10 minutes to spare, but just in time to catch the 'opening' song and dance at the big drum. Actually a nice opening to that section of the park. After that I went over to the FP+ line, with a few minutes left to wait, and started talking to the CM there. She informed me that NRJ would probably be packed all day due to being down for the previous 3 days straight! Those who had FP+ for it were issued 'anytime' passes to make up for it. Also found out that FoP had been down on the first day of that 'breakdown' as well. Guess I picked the right day!! Once my time came up, I went right through the FP+ line and got right on a slow boat through Pandora. The Na'vi Shaman audioanimatronic is really special. Lots of smooth motion and highly articulated. The AA technology has really improved recently.

After floating down the river, I was off for a safari. Always like the earlier safaris because the animals are so much more active before the heat starts beating them down. No okapi or Tommies...Have they moved these elsewhere? Baby hippo was out and playing on the 'island' in their area with mom in the water right beside him (her?) Lions were out and the male was 'talking' to us as we went by. It is really amazing what they actually sound like. Not what you would expect, or at least not what I had expected.

Next on the FP+ agenda was Expedition Everest, so it was a trek over to Asia and the Himalayan Range. The view from the top of this ride is spectacular. You can see for miles around...even if only briefly as the track switches over. An exhilarating ride hunting the elusive (disco) yeti got my blood pumping and got me ready to roll! Since it was noontime when this finished up, and I had a big evening planned at MK, it was time to get a bite at Flame Tree Barbecue and head over to MK for the afternoon and evening.

Had to make a stop 'on the way,' as it were. I had completely forgotten about the Chase Disney Visa Rewards Pixar pin that was available at DHS until I saw someone post online that they had just gotten theirs, so I headed over there before I forgot. OK, this was a 5 minute stop, but it did break up the day a little bit more. LOL

I had completely forgotten about this being Dapper Day in MK, so was very pleasantly surprised to see all the people in their vintage clothing (and/or character attire) in the park. With temps in the mid to upper 80's and moderate to high humidity, I had to feel for some of those people in the heavy outfits. Great day for people watching! Felt like treating myself, so got the Apple Blossom Sundae at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. Delicious way to cool off! No FP+ option this evening, so it was a wandering evening. In front of me in line for ice cream was a group of women who were 'playing the parts' of all the women characters in Princess and the Frog. I made mention of this to them and they seemed pleasantly surprised that I knew who they were.

Took a seat on the patio outside the Plaza and decided to see if I could post myself there shortly before the Happily Ever After fireworks show. It was a little early to grow roots there, so I did some more wandering, rode Pirates and Haunted Mansion again, caught the 3:00 parade for the first time. I am impressed with the steampunk (Maleficent) fire-breathing dragon.

Made my way the whole way around the park and caught a showing of Carousel of Progress, then Buzz, and Monster's Inc Laugh Floor. This was the first time I was singled out in the pre-show. I was the "Churro Guy!" Luckily nobody came to find me after the show for free churros! I could have gone broke! LOL Made my way back to Main Street USA and there was a PhotoPass photographer at the 'purple wall.' Had to wait until he was between pics to get through. When I got back to the area in front of the Plaza Restaurant and Ice Cream Parlor, there was a spot to sit along the fence wall that was (almost) comfortable. Not the best viewing angle, there was one of the umbrellas partially obscuring my view, but I got to see the whole projection and fireworks show with good sound.

Even though MK was open until midnight, this old man decided to call it a night after the fireworks and made my way to the bus queues just as the Electrical Water Pageant was coming through, so I got a small bonus on my way out.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

2. Thanks faline thanked for this post
    Likes faline liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Another great day!
    Thanks again for writing it all up.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

If that's you "slowing down" I'd hate to see when you're full speed lol. Another great day, thanks for sharing.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    If that's you "slowing down" I'd hate to see when you're full speed lol. Another great day, thanks for sharing.
    Hahahaaaa! Well, I tend to start out logging 10 - 12 miles on the Garmin, then slow down to 8 - 10!!! We had a thing going for our healthcare at work - a challenge to get in 80,000 steps before September. I completed that just on this trip!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Post Thanks / Like

No Okapis? They're my favorite!
    I can't wait to see the Maleficent dragon!
    I will have to remember to get the Pixar pin at DHS. Where do you pick it up at?

I'm writing down so many notes from your trip.. lol
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

8. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    No Okapis? They're my favorite!
    I can't wait to see the Maleficent dragon!
    I will have to remember to get the Pixar pin at DHS. Where do you pick it up at?

I'm writing down so many notes from your trip.. lol
    They have the pin in the Photo Shop in DHS. (Right side as you go toward the Chinese Theater.) You have to ask at the register, they are not out on display. It has Woody and Bullseye on it!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    They have the pin in the Photo Shop in DHS. (Right side as you go toward the Chinese Theater.) You have to ask at the register, they are not out on display. It has Woody and Bullseye on it!
    Thanks
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Terrific day!! You accomplished quite a lot in the two parks you visited on this day!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: