Quantcast How do you have a relaxing vacation with Fastpass +????

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you have a relaxing vacation with Fastpass +????

I have been thinking about my relaxation week. Before I would just wake up and go wherever I wanted to go. Now I have to plan my fastpasses 60 days in advance. How can I wander on vacation if I have to stick to a pre-selected schedule?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

On days like that, I treat my fp as bonuses, and try to plan them to my normal route as much as possible. But if I don't make one, no biggy. If I happen to make it, bonus.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We only fastpass things we really want to do. There will be days during our vacation where I will only preplan 1 or 2 rides, may even be days where I don't plan any rides. Our first trip after fastpass+ began, we packed it in and we were miserable, running all over the park to get to rides on time.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    ~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have a relaxing vacation with FP+. lol It is pretty stressful to me. I feel like I am rushing to make appointments all day every day while I am there. I miss the times before FP+ when we could wake up and decide to change our plan and go to a different park than we first planned on for that day. To try to do that now is a huge debacle and aggravating. That is why we don't go to WDW very much anymore.

6. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    On days like that, I treat my fp as bonuses, and try to plan them to my normal route as much as possible. But if I don't make one, no biggy. If I happen to make it, bonus.
    EXACTLY? I find MAKING the FP+ reservations, stressful - but once we have the passes, we view them exactly the same way. We make our best guess about where we'll be and what we're going to be doing - if we don't use a FP, we just don't use it.

And something people tend to forget or ignore - the standby lines continue to work the same way they have for decades......... we can always choose to just wait for an attraction!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    EXACTLY? I find MAKING the FP+ reservations, stressful - but once we have the passes, we view them exactly the same way. We make our best guess about where we'll be and what we're going to be doing - if we don't use a FP, we just don't use it.

And something people tend to forget or ignore - the standby lines continue to work the same way they have for decades......... we can always choose to just wait for an attraction!
    Unfortunately, I am physically unable to just wait for an attraction a large portion of the time. I also tend to feel badly if I don't use a fastpass, because someone else could have used it if I didn't take it. Thus, I have this dilemma. If I don't book and use a fastpass, I probably won't be able to ride most things. If I do book a fastpass, I'll feel obliged to go use it instead of just following my whims.

Post Thanks / Like

My DD is in the culinary program and has been able to do fast passes the night before or even the day of on her days off. She has been able to get any ride she wants. So maybe try that approach then you can be a little flexible with what you do

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Unfortunately, I am physically unable to just wait for an attraction a large portion of the time. I also tend to feel badly if I don't use a fastpass, because someone else could have used it if I didn't take it. Thus, I have this dilemma. If I don't book and use a fastpass, I probably won't be able to ride most things. If I do book a fastpass, I'll feel obliged to go use it instead of just following my whims.
    My apologies - my response was a bit assuming. Standby can be pretty long and difficult at times - especially after being in the park for hours.

As far as scheduling a FP+ and not using it - we have found that through the app or kiosks, it's very simple to cancel a FP+ the day you're scheduled to use it. You can either switch it for something else or just "give it back". That's how at times, someone will post here how they went out on MDE and found a miracle FP+ to do their attraction that day!! I will admit, I also feel a bit guilty to have a FP+ scheduled and just ignore it - the cancel makes me feel a little better if my plans have changed - or I'm just too tired to get out to a particular attraction!

Post Thanks / Like

I think my logic still holds. You just ride what you can, when you can. I'm physically able, but not psychologically able, to wait in very long lines Ride what you can if the FP goes south, and enjoy the shows, etc. Maybe re-explore the less popular attractions you wouldn't normally see very often, and see what you discover.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to make a snarky comment about not going to Disney to relax, but then I realized we just had to redefine relaxation. We ended up liking Fastpass+ more than we thought. As you know, the week we were there was pretty busy (when it wasn't trying to drown us) and while we tend to force ourselves to do rope drop, there was a couple of days we planned a late start, and knew that we'd still be able to get on at least those three rides. Before plus, we might have gotten to the park at noon and found all the Fastpasses gone! On our early days we made sure to group those FP's as close together as possible so we could wander where we wanted the rest of the time. But I definitely agree - we were much more relaxed at Universal - with our Express Passes we knew we'd be able to do everything no matter when we did it or in what order. But honestly, it isn't just FP - having to book dining months in advance also takes out the ability to throw away the clock!
    ps - the crowded days also forced us to slow down in a weird way. Do you know I've never done PeopleMover or Carousel of Progress before? Always rushing from headliner to headliner. I enjoyed that kind of thing WAY more than I thought I would - and even DH and DD weren't too grumpy about them, LOL

Post Thanks / Like

If I do book a fastpass, I'll feel obliged to go use it instead of just following my whims.
    I wouldn't worry about that, I'd just release them. I had a second FP for Flights of Passage and we decided not to go back to AKL. I released it and then checked about 3 minutes later and it was GONE. And this was about an hour before it needed to be used!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I was going to make a snarky comment about not going to Disney to relax, but then I realized we just had to redefine relaxation. We ended up liking Fastpass+ more than we thought. As you know, the week we were there was pretty busy (when it wasn't trying to drown us) and while we tend to force ourselves to do rope drop, there was a couple of days we planned a late start, and knew that we'd still be able to get on at least those three rides. Before plus, we might have gotten to the park at noon and found all the Fastpasses gone! On our early days we made sure to group those FP's as close together as possible so we could wander where we wanted the rest of the time. But I definitely agree - we were much more relaxed at Universal - with our Express Passes we knew we'd be able to do everything no matter when we did it or in what order. But honestly, it isn't just FP - having to book dining months in advance also takes out the ability to throw away the clock!
    ps - the crowded days also forced us to slow down in a weird way. Do you know I've never done PeopleMover or Carousel of Progress before? Always rushing from headliner to headliner. I enjoyed that kind of thing WAY more than I thought I would - and even DH and DD weren't too grumpy about them, LOL
    You have a point. Relaxation is different for everyone and even different circumstances. When I am alone, I slow down (even more so than I have to be), sleep in (I usually work nights, so that is my natural sleep pattern), wake up and decide what I want to do. Usually that involves going to a park, soaking in the atmosphere, taking pictures of things that catch my eye (which is a lot, just ask PopPhan. He had to put up with all my Facebook posts), setting up early to take pictures for whichever fireworks have caught my fancy, riding a ride that catches my whim.

To me, a dining reservation is a little different. It is just a one time thing during my day, not something that extends over several hours.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't. And I've made it clear, I hate everything about FP+. It's like being at work. Long term planning. Meeting timelines. Coordinating schedules. Constantly checking the smart phone. After they came out with this burden, we quit going to WDW. The only reason we returned was that we moved to Tampa from Texas. As soon as our AP is done in October, we will stop going.

I still laugh every time I think that the official line was that FP+ increases spontaneity.

16. Thanks texas211 thanked for this post
    Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We usually make our FP starting at noon and do them right after one another. If we decide to get up early or the boys skip the gym we decide what we're doing that morning. Sometimes it's grabbing a TS breakfast and sometimes it's going to a different park for the morning and sometimes it's just doing nothing. We've found that most times we travel, standby is not bad for most rides (other than FOP, 7DMT) before 11A.

Point is, our trips are very laid back, it's vacation. Compared to real life I really don't find ADRs or FP stressful. I enjoy the planning and if something goes off track, oh well. Make some plans, use them or not, people watch, soak up the atmosphere, relax, enjoy.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I find it relaxing knowing that I can sleep as long as I want to and don't have to rush to the park in the morning. When I went to Disneyland, I actually found myself missing it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindique View Post
    I find it relaxing knowing that I can sleep as long as I want to and don't have to rush to the park in the morning. When I went to Disneyland, I actually found myself missing it!
    We were right the opposite. We went to Disneyland a couple of years ago and loved every minute of it. If it wasn't completely on the other side of the country from us, we would go to Disneyland once or twice a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input everyone. I picked a few days during the week that I would go to a specific park and make fastpasses for the rides I knew I would want to ride. I don't feel so bad for cancelling stuff now that it seems like it is pretty common. When we were there, I didn't really check for fastpasses very much, so I didn't realize it changed as often you guys make it seem.

I think VWL Mom's approach will probably work best for me on those days. The lighting for pictures isn't the best during the afternoon hours, so I tend to do photos in the morning or evening. Planning my fastpass times for the afternoon hours probably won't detract too much from my wandering then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I was going to make a snarky comment about not going to Disney to relax,
    Disney isn't about relaxing, its about conquering...

You have a point. Relaxation is different for everyone and even different circumstances. When I am alone, I slow down (even more so than I have to be), sleep in (I usually work nights, so that is my natural sleep pattern), .
    Your foot fits a glass shoe, so you are pretty unique.

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    I can't. And I've made it clear, I hate everything about FP+. It's like being at work. Long term planning. Meeting timelines. Coordinating schedules. Constantly checking the smart phone.
    Yeah, and my bonus goes to pay for these trips. Ironic. Its just like work, except I dont wear sunglasses all day in the office.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
    GOOD LUCK! Have a "relaxing" trip.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Your foot fits a glass shoe, so you are pretty unique.
    You're right. After staying offsite, I decided I AM a spoiled Disney princess.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: