Quantcast But it has always been that way!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default But it has always been that way!!!

Another thread got me thinking about how many people assume something has been that way at Disney since the beginning, simply because that was how it was the first time they went to Disney. So I thought it would be fun, for all of us to share some of the things we experienced at Disney that no longer exist (or have changed significantly). So below is my list

1. A thru E tickets - Anyone else remember not having the ticket you needed to go on something you wanted to?
    2. The Swan Boats
    3. The unlimited attraction ticket (or whatever it's official name was) - this was available in the last year or so of the A thru E tickets and allowed you to ride everything as many times as you wanted to.
    4. Gun Fights in Frontierland - I remember watching the Sheriff and his deputies trying to capture train robbers at the train station, which used to be where Splash Mountain is now.
    5. Diamond Horseshoe review - Anyone else remember when this used to be a show?
    6. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea - Only "E" ticket attraction in MK to close.
    7. Mission to Mars - This was a tame (by modern standards) trip to Mars. I don;t remember to much of the show, other than the albatross landing and setting of the crash alarm.
    8. Journey into Imagination - It is really sad that they closed this one.
    9. Journey into Your Imagination - So glad they closed this one.
    10. Mike Fink's Keel Boats // Davy Crockett Canoes - I really miss all the boats that used to go around Tom Sawyers Island.

Ok, think I will stop here. What are some of the things that you got to experience that no longer exist? Don't feel restricted to just list things in the parks.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    5. Diamond Horseshoe review - Anyone else remember when this used to be a show?
    Give a watch

John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

4. Thanks Isabella thanked for this post
    Likes VWL Mom, Jeff, Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More...

John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

6. Thanks Jeff, Isabella thanked for this post
    Likes Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Characters at Liberty Tree Tavern
    Adventurer's Club
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Pocahontas Breakfast at Artist Point
    Top of the World Dinner shows at the Contemporary
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Flamingos In EPCOT/ WS. I remember them On the “beach” between The Mexico Pavilion and the entrance to WS.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

If You Had Wings at the MK and Horizons, of course.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Discovery Island & River Country - so sad they are still there sitting like ghosts of the past.

Top of the World dinner show at Contemporary Resort

The steakhouse at the Contemporary Resort

The Movie theater and arcade at the Contemporary Resort. This was one of my favorite memories from my childhood visits to WDW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There was a shop on Main street that had period costumes that you could put on and then have your picture taken with the appropriate backdrop. We went in 1980 for our 5th anniversary and had one of those taken as our big splurge!

Body Wars... East Coast iteration of Monsanto Adventure Through Inner Space.

Cranium Command, I laughed every time we saw this. Probably because our boys were this age!!!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
    There was a shop on Main street that had period costumes that you could put on and then have your picture taken with the appropriate backdrop. We went in 1980 for our 5th anniversary and had one of those taken as our big splurge!
    I forgot all about that, it was great!
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

the train ride in the campground and the truck that went around selling citrus and cereal in the morning!
    fw 75-80-85-90
    cbr 95-98-01
    pofq-02-05-09-13-15
    disney wonder aug 08
    Disneyland Mar 18
    Contemporary Dec 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Characters coming to the hotel door to wish my mom and me Happy Birthday, I was young and thought it was cool. The luau on the beach with the boats with the men in costume.

I also remember having a caricature done in the game room at the Contemporary, which i believe was free of charge.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember innoventions being so awesome. I remember being able to do an interview with Jay Leno on a green screen and be on tv. Then I remember seeing cool futuristic inventions like a wheel chair that could go up stairs.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Post Thanks / Like

Food Rocks and The Kitchen Kaberet!
    These two, I thought, were so cool!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

How about the animation studio at MGM Studios, and getting to see real animators working on upcoming Disney films.

Or the "Backlot" actually being a backlot.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

"Bird and the robot" show at World of Motion. This show lives on at YouTube.

The Adventureland challenge where teams went out to look for the lost idol.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

1-The movie theater at the back of the Kodak shop near Tony's
    2-Skyway
    3-Riding in the front of the monorail
    4-Free parking at the resorts when you stayed there
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember:

- Riding Mr. Toad's Wild Ride when I was seven (1972) and my cousin letting me drive and shouting, "Oh my gosh! Watch out!" She made it so fun for me.

- On Main Street there being a cinema where old Mickey Mouse cartoons were played. I also remember there being a Penny Arcade on Main Street with old fashioned games you could play for a penny.

- Canoeing around Tom Sawyer's Island in the 1980s

- The whole Studio Backlot Tour, and looking through windows at people actually using equipment to make TV shows and films. I remember a short video during one of the stops on the tour that paired Mel Gibson with Pee Wee Herman - it was about sound and was hilarious!

- Catastrophe Canyon

- The Animation Tour. Remember the film starring Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite? They animated Robin Williams into a Lost Boy.

- Magic pins you could buy that would light up/sparkle with colors when something magical was happening to you or near you. My kids LOVED those pins.

- Creative skippers on the Jungle Cruise. It used to be a place where particularly humorous young men were allowed to try out new jokes. (There were some innuendos, I recall, that might not float in today's PC environment... so they put a stop to it.) I also remember a gun being fired at the hippo who attacked the boat -- that's gone now.

- The "haunted" organ at Adventurer's Club ... I can't remember its name. Keys? Anyway, the audience would call out songs to test him to see if he knew them, and the organ would play the song. And he knew like 99 percent of them. Sometimes people would be jerks and yell out really weird stuff and he'd play "Hit the Road Jack" or something else hilarious. EDIT: I just looked up the name of the organ. It was FINGERS ZAMBEZI.

- Roller skating through a bar in Pleasure Island. I was at Pleasure Island on opening night and skated while a band played live (I think it was Paul Revere and the Raiders?). I can't remember the name of the bar, but can you imagine? Roller skates! That didn't last long. I wonder who thought that was a good idea, to mix alcohol and roller skating? hahahaha

Lots of other memories.... I could go on and on.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought of another one: I remember when you could lock your pet in a kennel outside the entrance of the park (I specifically remember the one at Epcot). It was kind of like lockers, but for animals. Then you just picked them up at the end of the day. (Can't even imagine people being OK with that today!!)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: