Quantcast Season of A Million Cutbacks - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, update... some operational cuts have been made, may not be noticeable with guests... front line cast member cuts were scheduled, but I havent heard anything too drastic or if they been implemented... Other cuts are being proposed and looked into but haven't been put into action yet... And may not..

I still think once the holiday season starts (week before and of Thanksgiving through New Year's) attendance will tick up despite being told projections still are for attendance being low...

I will be in WDW starting Monday so I will see first hand how the crowds are...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Disney projects a decrease in fall attendance.... Due to these projections and the purchase of Fox, several cutbacks are being made across the resort... Instead of many threads, I will list all operational cutbacks due to the reduced fall attendance projections here:

CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW'S PIRATE TUTORIAL - Magic Kingdom will end on September 29th

RAFIKI'S PLANET WATCH - Animal Kingdom will "go seasonal" beginning September 30th 2018

CITIZENS OF HOLLYWOOD - Disney's Hollywood Studios will be eliminated or drastically reduced starting September 29th... At the moment, at least 4 members of the Citizens have been released from their contracts...

MOVE IT! SHAKE IT! CELEBRATE IT! - Magic Kingdom will end on December 1, 2018... I listed this here because this is a cut, but I believe something new is being worked on... But since it is several months out before a replacement happens, I'll call this a cut because there is no reason this cannot run despite being one of the most hated forms on entertainment in the Disney fan community...

There are rumors of other cutbacks happening, but cannot confirm them at the moment... If anything else is confirmed or changes, I will update this thread as necessary....
    None of these are much of a loss or going to really affect attendance. The bigger turn off for me is the massive amount of construction going on to get ready for Star Wars. So while this year attendance may dip, once Galaxy’s Edge opens it is going to surge to record breaking highs.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

4. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    None of these are much of a loss or going to really affect attendance. The bigger turn off for me is the massive amount of construction going on to get ready for Star Wars. So while this year attendance may dip, once Galaxy’s Edge opens it is going to surge to record breaking highs.
    I think the consensus among us here is that if there is a downturn in attendance, it would be because most people are waiting for Galaxy's Edge... December 2019, not the time to visit....

And BTW, if attendance is down, I'd like to know where... While I didn't find the parks totally crowded, I still found huge crowds everywhere... But, projections called for a slow down... I didn't see it though...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

6. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the consensus among us here is that if there is a downturn in attendance, it would be because most people are waiting for Galaxy's Edge... December 2019, not the time to visit....

And BTW, if attendance is down, I'd like to know where... While I didn't find the parks totally crowded, I still found huge crowds everywhere... But, projections called for a slow down... I didn't see it though...
    Yes, I've heard the same that lines aren't exactly short. I know October is usually a busy month and I think this is "Jersey Week." We went late August and while it was super hot, didn't feel that lines (outside of TSL) were that bad. Glad to hear you had a good trip.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what they base their projections on? How many hotel rooms are booked? If so, are more people just staying offsite, so there are really more people at the parks than their room bookings suggested?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

The price isn't keeping us away, nor are the cutbacks on things like the Streetmosphere actors. Things change with the times and can't stay the same. I'll miss many things, like I miss Mulch, Sweat, and Shears, but I'm fine with Disney making changes.

We're just not going back for a while because of other things we want to do. As a family, we've changed with the times as well. We want to see National Parks. We want to see Harry Potter at Universal. We want to go to Disneyland. We want to go to Hawai'i and Alaska, maybe the UK and/or Iceland. Can't do all of those things AND do WDW. Plus, in a few months, I'll have two kids in post-High School education situations...one in Idaho and one in Texas (and we live in Virginia).

Our annual trips to WDW lasted almost 20 years, and we have many fond memories of them. And we know we'll be back at some point. But we're not going to go as often as we used to. We've just changed.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

10. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Yes, I've heard the same that lines aren't exactly short. I know October is usually a busy month and I think this is "Jersey Week." We went late August and while it was super hot, didn't feel that lines (outside of TSL) were that bad. Glad to hear you had a good trip.
    I don't think this is Jersey Week... Maybe next week???

I didn't find the parks overly busy... But some of the wait times were high for crowd level... And I know Disney exaggerates the wait time, but I did legit wait 60 minutes for Slinky Dog while the posted wait time was 60 minutes.... Other rides has wait times like 25/30 minutes when normally they are walk on...

And thank you!!! I really did have a fun time...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this is Jersey Week... Maybe next week???

I didn't find the parks overly busy... But some of the wait times were high for crowd level... And I know Disney exaggerates the wait time, but I did legit wait 60 minutes for Slinky Dog while the posted wait time was 60 minutes.... Other rides has wait times like 25/30 minutes when normally they are walk on...

And thank you!!! I really did have a fun time...
    For most Disney attractions, I consider anything with a posted wait of 30 minutes or less as 'walk on'...
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I wonder what they base their projections on? How many hotel rooms are booked? If so, are more people just staying offsite, so there are really more people at the parks than their room bookings suggested?
    You know that wonderful little app called My Disney Experience??? There ya go!!! That is where they get their numbers from... They see hotel bookings, they get FP plus booking numbers, they see how many ADRs are made, they see theme park tickets sold... They can project from the data received from My Disney Experience...

I really do believe their theme park ticket sales are projecting downward... Or were projecting downward... I also believe that is why we started seeing the operational cuts... Believe me when I tell you there were more cuts on the table, and still are, just waiting to be given the green light...

Let us remember, Disney can be crowded and still see a drop in attendance... Huge numbers go to WDW, so even a drop of, say 10,000 is a lot for their books, it is chump change compared to the millions who show up yearly... And i just made that 10,000 number up... I don't know how much they projected down their attendance...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    The price isn't keeping us away, nor are the cutbacks on things like the Streetmosphere actors. Things change with the times and can't stay the same. I'll miss many things, like I miss Mulch, Sweat, and Shears, but I'm fine with Disney making changes.

We're just not going back for a while because of other things we want to do. As a family, we've changed with the times as well. We want to see National Parks. We want to see Harry Potter at Universal. We want to go to Disneyland. We want to go to Hawai'i and Alaska, maybe the UK and/or Iceland. Can't do all of those things AND do WDW. Plus, in a few months, I'll have two kids in post-High School education situations...one in Idaho and one in Texas (and we live in Virginia).

Our annual trips to WDW lasted almost 20 years, and we have many fond memories of them. And we know we'll be back at some point. But we're not going to go as often as we used to. We've just changed.
    Sooner or later the price will keep people from going, but what is that price??? They obviously haven't hit the ceiling yet... And the cut backs, nah, these cutbacks aren't going to keep people from going either... Most first timers wouldn't even know they were cut... The regulars, the APers, DVCers, they would notice the cutbacks... And even then, these cuts wouldn't stop people from going...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    For most Disney attractions, I consider anything with a posted wait of 30 minutes or less as 'walk on'...
    True... True.... I was talking more like Spaceship Earth where there is usually never a line, except for first thing in the morning... However, I saw a 30 minute wait mid afternoon... Same with Imagination... I never seen more than a 5 minute wait my last few trips, including this past April... This October??? There was a 45 minute wait... And the queue was full... The extended queue for 3 Cabelleros was in use, but when I made my way to the attraction, it was empty... I waited 30 for Star Tours though I never usually wait that long... And any other time I looked at wait times, it never seemed to get longer than 10 again.. Small World too, I walked on in the morning but by evening, I saw a posted 45 minute wait... I didn't think that could be right, but the FP and Stand by were both full... And let's not even talk Haunted Mansion... The stand by line was down close to Columbia Harbor House in mid afternoon, forget the Halloween Party... posted 60 minute wait...

Those are some of the rides I normally find as walk ons, rides always less than 30 minutes, or anywhere from no wait to 15 minutes...

16. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True... True.... I was talking more like Spaceship Earth where there is usually never a line, except for first thing in the morning... However, I saw a 30 minute wait mid afternoon... Same with Imagination... I never seen more than a 5 minute wait my last few trips, including this past April... This October??? There was a 45 minute wait... And the queue was full... The extended queue for 3 Cabelleros was in use, but when I made my way to the attraction, it was empty... I waited 30 for Star Tours though I never usually wait that long... And any other time I looked at wait times, it never seemed to get longer than 10 again.. Small World too, I walked on in the morning but by evening, I saw a posted 45 minute wait... I didn't think that could be right, but the FP and Stand by were both full... And let's not even talk Haunted Mansion... The stand by line was down close to Columbia Harbor House in mid afternoon, forget the Halloween Party... posted 60 minute wait...

Those are some of the rides I normally find as walk ons, rides always less than 30 minutes, or anywhere from no wait to 15 minutes...

Jungle Cruise was a 60 minute wait when we considered going on it.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Jungle Cruise was a 60 minute wait when we considered going on it.
    I won't ride JC unless I have a FP...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: