Quantcast Confused about linking tickets/accounts to FastPass

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confused about linking tickets/accounts to FastPass

The BF and I recently went to the MK to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. It was a very frustrating day. Left almost an hour later than we'd planned (we live 2 hours away), then our AAA tickets were EXCHANGE tickets, so we wasted another 40 minutes in the will call line, we couldn't get the anniversary buttons that I wanted because we had to rush to our first FP. Using those 3 were fine - I think - but then when I tried to start the hunt for more, there wasn't much for us to get (that we could ride). We ended up wasting a lot of time, finally stood in line at Pirates again for 40 min just to ride SOMETHING, couldn't even go shopping as we were leaving the park because of the fireworks crowds - just a really frustrating day (and not one we can replicate...we have furbabies and never do anything together longer than 4 hours because there is only 1 person we can leave them with...*sigh*...long story there).

But anyway....it all brings me to my questions: I have a Disney band and an account for the app. The BF does not have a band or an account, but I linked his ticket in my account. I thought that's what you were supposed to do. When we got to the FP entry, I used my band for both of us - was that right? Or wrong?

After we used the 3, the app started telling me that he couldn't have anymore...which I'm pretty sure is wrong. After using the 3, you're supposed to be able to get more. Every time I tried with the app, I couldn't get anything until I took him off. After 3 or 4 hours of checking that app over and over, we finally got a FP for Small World - not what we wanted, but we figured it was better than nothing....better than just sitting there doing nothing but refreshing that stupid app. Well, technically *I* had the FP, but I scanned the band and both of us walked through.

I've read blog after blog after blog about these bands and 'helpful hints' and such - and none of it applied to us on the actual day. Should he have had an actual account and downloaded the app, too? Is that how folks get multiple FPs? If I've got his ticket linked to mine, there isn't anything for him to scan when we enter, right? I've been to Disney SO many times, and this is the first time that I've ever been THAT frustrated leaving. It was definitely not the happiest place on Earth for us that day.

I've done tons of searching, but I can't seem to find the answers that I'm looking for. Can anyone help a very confused Disney lover please?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you had such a miserable day I'm not an expert on this but since no one else has answered yet, I thought I'd jump in.

What did he use to scan in at the front gate? Did he have a plastic ticket? We've only ever had bands but my understanding is that, if you don't, you use your plastic ticket to scan for fastpasses, too.

Maybe the reason the app wouldn't let you make another FP for him was because his third hadn't expired yet? Since he hadn't scanned in the system didn't know he had already ridden. Or maybe it was just glitchy (I had a few times when adding additional passes when it was showing certain people weren't eligible even though they were.) Or a combination of both those causes???

He definitely didn't need to have his own account. My dad didn't have an account when we went last time and I made all his plans with us in my account.

I hope you get this all sorted out so that next time will go much smoother!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

He either needs his own account or to be listed as friends and family on your account. What you had happen was both tickets were linked to you allowing only one set of FP.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, what Lynn said.

You need to set him up with his OWN My Disney Experience account.
    You can still manage his (make fastpasses, etc. on his behalf) but he needs to have his own account.
    Then, you link his ticket (even if it is a plastic card ticket and not a magic band) to HIS name.

Now the app will understand that you and your boyfriend have both paid for admission to the parks, and therefore both are eligible to make fastpasses.

In my app, I can see Myself, My Husband, My Son and My Daughter. I can see what type of ticket has been purchased for each of them and how many days are left on each of their tickets, etc.

Then when I make fastpass reservations, it asks me who the fastpasses are for: I choose all 4 people in my family and then voila! The fastpasses have been reserved for each person in the group. It literally says SPACE MOUNTAIN FASTPASS: Carolyn, Mike, Owen & Juliana.

Once you get to the ride, you EACH have to tap in the FP line, with your OWN park tickets, whether it's on your magic band or just a plain plastic card. This tells the computer system that yes, everyone in your group has arrived and are using their fastpasses.

If you DON'T use a fastpass that you've reserved, or if one of you doesn't tap their park ticket in the turnstiles at the ride, then the system won't let you get any more that day because it assumes you didn't show up to your ride time. They want you to CANCEL any unused fastpasses BEFORE their ride time so that other people get a chance to use them.

Does that make sense?
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

6. Thanks VWL Mom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well...I *thought* I had him linked in my account. I added his ticket number and his name was there, so I figured since I did that it would automatically know that both of us used the FP. He had a plastic ticket, but he never used it to scan on anything - because I'd added him to my account I didn't think he had to. Did I not add him correctly maybe? I'm not sure I remember an actual 'family/friends' distinction. I'll have to go back through the app again - I found it fairly confusing to use, anyway. Maybe it'll get easier after a while - I certainly so. Thanks for the input, guys. (And yes, Carolyn, it DID make sense....thanks so much for the explanation!)

Post Thanks / Like

My husband does not have his own MDE account-he refuses to deal with it, and rarely uses his phone for anything other than calling and texting. So I just have him and my son linked in my account. That said, they each scan their own magic bands (or if they were to have a plastic ticket instead of a magic band, they would scan those) at the fast pass touch point-just as they each scan their own band at park entry.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    ~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renee_FL View Post
    Well...I *thought* I had him linked in my account. I added his ticket number and his name was there, so I figured since I did that it would automatically know that both of us used the FP. He had a plastic ticket, but he never used it to scan on anything - because I'd added him to my account I didn't think he had to.
    Fastpasses are unique to each person. So while you can search for fastpasses for a "group of 2", what you are really doing is booking 1 for you and 1 for him not 1 for your group. This way, if he wanted to ride Space Mt and you didn't, you could book him a FP for Space and book yourself a FP for Buzz Lightyear and go ride them separately. And this would count as only 1 fastpass each. So between the 2 of you, you could do 6 completely different attractions separately, 3 together or some combination of together/separate.

In our most recent group of five (all on my account as friends & family) I often had us split into 2 (the Rollercoaster people) and 3 (the too short or too scared people) for our fastpasses lol

And the accounts can be tricky but it gets better with practice! I made a mess of my account the first time we went so I actually created a new account from scratch for the second trip and things went much better.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My husband is linked to my account and he doesn't have his own account. However, we all scan our own band or card as we use a FP. I'm surprised your BF was allowed on the rides without him scanning a band or card.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

The entire system is aggravating, time consuming and for the most part a mess. I feel your pain as I have problems every single time we go and I am well experienced. I don't know how in the world first timers ever make it through a WDW vacation without losing their minds.

I know exactly what your problem was if I read all the information correctly. From what I read, you added his ticket to your account and added his name. He used his ticket to get in the park. He did not have his ticket/card/band scanned when you entered the attractions for your fastpasses. That is the problem. He did not scan his, so it did not "use" his fastpasses as you entered the attractions. Since his 3 were not used, it would not allow you to schedule more for him. Both of you must be scanned as you enter the fastpass line so it uses both of your fastpasses.

Don't worry about it too much though, because there typically isn't any fastpasses you would want or need available after you use your first three so it is for the most part pointless and just another source of aggravation.

It would be hard for them to make a vacation much more frustrating than the system they have in place now.

12. Likes RunDMV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really appreciate the input - it all helps! And I agree about it being frustrating. When I was reading up about it, I didn't think I was going to like it....and I don't. I miss the days of just slipping your paper ticket in the machine and coming back in an hour or two for FP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    The entire system is aggravating, time consuming and for the most part a mess. I feel your pain as I have problems every single time we go and I am well experienced. I don't know how in the world first timers ever make it through a WDW vacation without losing their minds.

I know exactly what your problem was if I read all the information correctly. From what I read, you added his ticket to your account and added his name. He used his ticket to get in the park. He did not have his ticket/card/band scanned when you entered the attractions for your fastpasses. That is the problem. He did not scan his, so it did not "use" his fastpasses as you entered the attractions. Since his 3 were not used, it would not allow you to schedule more for him. Both of you must be scanned as you enter the fastpass line so it uses both of your fastpasses.

Don't worry about it too much though, because there typically isn't any fastpasses you would want or need available after you use your first three so it is for the most part pointless and just another source of aggravation.

It would be hard for them to make a vacation much more frustrating than the system they have in place now.
    I hate it more than you!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    I hate it more than you!!!!
    I doubt that. LOL I really, really despise it. We may hate it evenly.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: