Quantcast More Details for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Leaked from Press Tour of Construction Site

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation More Details for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Leaked from Press Tour of Construction Site

Financial and Investment Magazine Barron's was recently given a private tour and interview time with Bob Iger at Disneyland's Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Construction Site.

Although many items are shared as conjuncture, the article has many new potential details for the new land(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Barron's
    Here’s a Sneak Peek of Disneyland’s New ‘Star Wars’ Attraction

By Jack Hough
    Barron's
    Jan. 3, 2019

Barron’s recently spent an afternoon touring Galaxy’s Edge—a first for the press this late in construction—with executives from construction, operations, and “imagineering,” or creative design, along with a Star Wars expert in a holiday R2-D2 sweater. Here are some scattered notes from that visit, including previously unreported details, some of which might be subject to change.

... Galaxy’s Edge will open in Disneyland this summer, perhaps by early June. A twin land will open in Disney World later this year. At the Disneyland site, major structures are in place. Walkways and interiors are unfinished, although key set pieces are installed at the attractions. Each land will be 14 acres, compared with 12 acres for Radiator Springs Racers in Disneyland’s sister park, California Adventure.

... For real trees, a team of horticulturalists has taken pains to choose and obtain—and protect—particular species. One sign for the crew on a potted tree awaiting transplanting read, “The cost to replace this tree is $9,000. Please respect all trees and keep this area clean.”

Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run

In this attraction, Hondo Ohnaka, a pirate, has cut a deal with Chewbacca for the use of the Millennium Falcon, and the visitor is the pilot. The attraction entrance will be subtly marked, so as not to disrupt the look of the land. The ship interior will be familiar to even casual fans of the films, down to the 3-D chess board where Chewie lost his temper during a match with R2-D2.

Visitors will fly the ship in groups of six, and see the real-time results of their actions, such as knocking over a spire during takeoff. The flight will be different each visit. After a ride, the visitor might, say, stop at Oga’s for a drink and be told something like, “The boss isn’t happy about how you brought the ship back.” This is part of an interactive, story-building experience throughout the land that visitors can opt in to or out of.

Rise of the Resistance

Visitors waiting in line for this attraction will wind through highly themed interiors that evoke rundown rooms the Resistance has repurposed as a base for operations against the First Order. Groups of guests might be “captured” at one point and ordered along by the enemy, before making their escape aboard a trackless troop transport. They will see scenes including a stormtrooper formation and one featuring Kylo Ren, perhaps resembling the interrogation scene from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The transport will evade familiar war machines, like the four-legged AT-AT Walkers from The Empire Strikes Back. Up close, these towering metal beasts do not disappoint.

Oga’s Cantina

The first public restaurant in Disneyland to serve alcohol, Oga’s is relatively small for aesthetic reasons, and is likely to be popular. To maximize capacity and keep visits from becoming all-afternoon affairs, most guests will stand. There will be a handful of booths with seating around the outer edge of the restaurant; no decision has been made yet on whether or how these can be reserved. An intricate tangle of tubes and vessels behind the bar might make some drinks appear to flow from the ceiling. We heard a mention of a Fuzzy Tauntaun, named for the furry snow lizards ridden in Empire Strikes Back, although it’s unclear if that’s a hypothetical drink or a planned one, and the menu is still being decided.

... Shops will be supplied from a common stockroom, and restaurants from a common kitchen, to increase efficiency. One shop will feature droids that visitors can customize through an interactive experience. A droid that is made to be, say, afraid of stormtroopers might signal its fear when one comes close. Droids owned by members of the same group might recognize each other when they meet. Prices have not been set. The shop might also sell a full-size R2-D2 for well-heeled fans, perhaps costing thousands.

There will be another shop presided over by Dok-Ondar, a collector who is briefly mentioned in Solo. This character, likely animatronic, will be set apart in a booth from the rest of the staff, not unlike the dispatcher Louie De Palma in the old ABC sitcom Taxi. Cast members might interact with Dok-Ondar, asking him what he’s willing to let certain items go for. Elsewhere, there will be an outdoor market resembling a bazaar. A pod-racing engine, perhaps at the market, will be used to roast meat.

... One possibility is that Star Wars merchandise in shops will come in unique packaging that downplays the logos. Another is that merchandise based on familiar characters will take on new looks. The imagineers visited the archives at Lucasfilm for early concept art. As a hypothetical example, an artisan figure of a familiar character might look slightly off, with the back story being that residents of Batuu have never seen that character, so they don’t know exactly what the figure should look like.
    Highlighted from the article, it appears that the Grand Opening for the Disneyland location is being narrowed to June 2019.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2. Thanks Jeff, TheVBs thanked for this post
    Likes TheVBs liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

OK, I'm getting pretty excited about this now. The rides sound awesome (really, who doesn't want to pilot the Millennium Falcon?), and the immersion option is pretty nice for those total Star Wars geeks. As for overall theme, I'm betting Disney looked very hard & close at what Universal did with Harry Potter, and decided it had to be as good or better along those lines or they'd look like idiots.

From the article's description of the cantina though, I think they'll need to rethink this a little. EVERYONE is gonna want to visit, and if it's as small as they said, the lines both for the cantina and complaints at Guest Services about the lines will be huge. I don't think SRO will work either. Who wants to stand in a room packed in like sardines & try to order and enjoy a drink?

What's best though, is that it's gonna be a huge crowd magnet & I won't have to wait an hour and a half for FoP anymore!
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    EVERYONE is gonna want to visit, and if it's as small as they said, the lines both for the cantina and complaints at Guest Services about the lines will be huge.
    Yeah... THIS.

best,

............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading somewhere else that they also said Disneyland would be opening it's Galaxy's Edge at the end of June. This that true?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

This land will be all it is being advertised as, and more... There should be no disappointment with this land...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley
    I was reading somewhere else that they also said Disneyland would be opening it's Galaxy's Edge at the end of June. This that true?
    No officially announced, but it is reported in the article in the first post that June 2019 is the narrowed opening window.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    This land will be all it is being advertised as, and more... There should be no disappointment with this land...
    I hope you are right about that. My son already has trepidations about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    No officially announced, but it is reported in the article in the first post that June 2019 is the narrowed opening window.
    Thanks. I missed that when I read through it. I'm still hoping for a "preview" day like they had with Pixar Pier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley
    I'm still hoping for a "preview" day like they had with Pixar Pier.
    Based on current trends, I would say that is very likely.

I would also expect to be prepared for some sticker shock; I would guess that they might set the price at double or triple what the Pixar Pier preview tickets due to the anticipated demand.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    Based on current trends, I would say that is very likely.

I would also expect to be prepared for some sticker shock; I would guess that they might set the price at double or triple what the Pixar Pier preview tickets due to the anticipated demand.
    Guess I better start picking up overtime again.

13. Likes PopPhan liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: