Quantcast Changes to DVC effective 01-19-19

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changes to DVC effective 01-19-19

From the DVC site:

"Update to Disney Vacation Club Resort Access for Contracts Not Purchased Directly from Disney

Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts or future Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.
    This change does not apply to contracts purchased prior to January 19, 2019. Contracts gifted to family members will continue to have the same Resort access as before the ownership transfer.
    The eligibility rules for Membership Extras and RCI access remain unchanged.
    The Buena Vista Trading Company Disclosure Guide has been amended accordingly."

BWV & HH

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For those more knowledgeable than me, how hard is it to '...exchange points into...' one of the DVC resorts?

Is it nearly impossible to effectively use points that way or is it pretty easy?

If the former, this isn't exactly a shot across the bow of the resale market, more like a full broadside that would largely destroy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    For those more knowledgeable than me, how hard is it to '...exchange points into...' one of the DVC resorts?

Is it nearly impossible to effectively use points that way or is it pretty easy?

If the former, this isn't exactly a shot across the bow of the resale market, more like a full broadside that would largely destroy it.
    If I am reading this correctly, if you purchase directly from Disney you can use your points at all the current 14 resorts and any that they build in the future. If you purchase from the resale market after 01-19-19, you wouldn't be able to do that with the "new" future resorts and you would have to use the points at the current 14 resorts only.(meaning "exchange into" at the 7 month mark or home resort at 11)
    I think?
    Your current DVC benefits/perks you have at this time will stay the same and you are grandfathered in whether you purchased direct or on the resale market.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    If I am reading this correctly, if you purchase directly from Disney you can use your points at all the current 14 resorts and any that they build in the future. If you purchase from the resale market after 01-19-19, you wouldn't be able to do that with the "new" future resorts and you would have to use the points at the current 14 resorts only.(meaning "exchange into" at the 7 month mark or home resort at 11)
    I think?
    Your current DVC benefits/perks you have at this time will stay the same and you are grandfathered in whether you purchased direct or on the resale market.
    Ahhh, much less complicated than I was reading it, that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

They continue to try and make the resale market less valuable. This does lead to some questions in my mind, though. For example, if I have a 100-point contract from Disney for Old Key West. Then I have a 100-point contract for BLT bought resale, but prior to 1/19/19. Then I purchase another 100-point contract through resale for Poly after that 1/19/19 date - does that mean if I want to make a reservation at the "15th resort" in the future, I can only use 200 of my points? in this example, would the Poly contract not be eligible? It sounds like the Poly contract is out at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    does that mean if I want to make a reservation at the "15th resort" in the future, I can only use 200 of my points? in this example, would the Poly contract not be eligible? It sounds like the Poly contract is out at that point.
    Great question. I was thinking the same stuff about this.

best,

..............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Then I purchase another 100-point contract through resale for Poly after that 1/19/19 date - does that mean if I want to make a reservation at the "15th resort" in the future, I can only use 200 of my points? in this example, would the Poly contract not be eligible? It sounds like the Poly contract is out at that point.
    Sadly, I think that is how it would be.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. That's the way it will work. Points are tied to a contract and are subject to the rules associated with that contract. And that's nothing new. The existing restrictions on resale points not being usable for cruises is exactly the same - based on contract.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to better understand the "14" resorts. So the 14 are the ones currently/already open (Aulani, HH, VB, Grand Cali, Grand Flor, SS, Poly, BW, BC, AKL, Copper Creek, Boulder Ridge, BLT, OKW). I kinda missed it, but Riviera and Reflections are already outside the scope - they are 15 and 16? I guess they're ramping up to sell points at a pretty high price for the 2 new ones, and want to reduce the impact of the resale market at this point.

Probably not the last change they'll make to impact the resale market.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this thread almost gives me a headache.

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to better understand the "14" resorts. So the 14 are the ones currently/already open (Aulani, HH, VB, Grand Cali, Grand Flor, SS, Poly, BW, BC, AKL, Copper Creek, Boulder Ridge, BLT, OKW). I kinda missed it, but Riviera and Reflections are already outside the scope - they are 15 and 16? I guess they're ramping up to sell points at a pretty high price for the 2 new ones, and want to reduce the impact of the resale market at this point.

Probably not the last change they'll make to impact the resale market.
    Yes, I'm sure they aim to own the resale market.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: