Quantcast Birthday Trip To The Lodge - Day 5 Nov 30 DHS and California Grill

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Birthday Trip To The Lodge - Day 5 Nov 30 DHS and California Grill

Despite our late night last night, we're morning people, we got up early enough to arrive at DHS not long after rope drop. I knew from these boards that the bus stops had moved and to expect a walk past construction walls to the entrance but, boy, was it a trek and I'm used to walking as I walk to work 20 mins each way 5 days a week! Would not want to do that in summer!
    After the usual security we walked for our first look at the boulevard without Mickey's hat. We liked it. Looked more like " old time" pictures of Hollywood we've seen. Along with everyone else it seemed we headed to Toy Story Land where the line for Slinky Dog was already at 90 mins and all the way down the street. We had a fastpass for Toy Story Mania so first went up to Alien Swirling Saucers to get a DAS for that as the line was already at around 40 mins, too much for both of us, and then back to TSM. DH did pretty well as usual on these shooting games and I did rather badly but not my fault as the 3D glasses gave me double vision when combined with my normal ones. DH claimed not a reason as I did badly on Buzz too and that's not 3D. Can't blame a girl for trying right?
    After TSM we rode Alien saucers which is waaaaay more fun that it looks. We both liked Toy Story Land, the oversized everything - even the plants - really makes it feel like you've shrunk. One criticism is that Woody's Lunchbox needs more seating. We ended up using a trash can as a table for our coffee cups, not ideal but it was too crowded to walk with hot coffee and push a wheelchair!
    We left Toy Story land and went to our next fastpass of Star Tours. Just as we were walking up the path the music started for Jedi training and scared the bejeezus out of me! DH found that amusing, me not so much. After Star Tours I got pixie dusted with free Mickey bars at a cart because it was my birthday! I did explain it was actually yesterday but the CM said Mickey doesn't mind, it's your birthday trip. We decided to head back to the hotel early afternoon as didn't want to do any more in the studios, so took the trek back to the bus.
    After a rest at the hotel, we got changed into formal shirt for DH, maxi dress for me and took the boat to the Contemporary, then the monorail to the Grand Floridian for a look at the Gingerbread House. As soon as stepped off the monorail, could smell gingerbread and the house is incredible! Looked for the hidden Mickey's but couldn't spot any on it, but there was a photopass CM there so had our picture taken. We couldn't resist buying some gingerbread and chocolate sleighs from the house - delicious.
    Took the monorail back to the Contemporary and after some pin trading with Stitch fan kids ( they liked my stitch purse ), we checked in and was shown to the elevator for our trip up to the 15th floor. As you step out the wine rack wall is impressive as are the windows but the view!!! Wow!! Hard to beat. We didn't have a window table but that was ok as our server said we can go outside to see the fireworks. I had a glass of sparkling rose wine and the Colorado bison loin and DH had a Tampa Bay IPA with the filet mignon. We tried a bit of each others and DH wished he'd had mine. It was cooked to perfection and tasted wonderful. For dessert I had the Valharona chocolate cake ( I love my choc ) and DH had cheesecake, coffee in the lounge followed with free cake with a little candle in for my birthday! Second birthday surprise of the day, I was beginning to feel spoilt! After coffee we went out on the balcony to watch the fireworks. They pipe the music in and it's really a different perspective up there. Although I'm not fond of heights, I found standing back from the railing and not looking directly down was fine, which was good because the view 360 is stunning!
    Afterwards we headed to the boat dock and whilst waiting Peter Pan with Tink in a lantern came running down to meet the Pirate and Pals boats that returned. Riding the boat back to WL, we saw one of the cabins had been decorated with colourful Xmas lights, very pretty as we sailed past in the dark. Arrived back and straight to bed.
    POFQ Sept 2012
    POFQ Oct 2014 Hubby's 50th Birthday!
    Wilderness Lodge Nov 2018 My 47th Birthday!

2. Thanks Jeff, faline thanked for this post
    Likes faline liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not fond of that long walk to Disney Studios either!!

What a lovely day!! Dinner and fireworks from the top of the Contemporary is such a lovely way to end your day!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: