Quantcast DVC Renting

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: DVC Renting

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC Renting

Has anyone ever rented or know of anyone's experience renting DVC. I didn't even know it was possible until I stumbled upon it doing some resort research. Is it legit and do you get the same perks as if you were staying as a normal resort guest. Just want to get a feel on what to do. I have already reserved a package but looking at some of these DVC prices it may even be cheaper and staying in some pretty nice villa's. Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated - Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've rented points a couple of times through David's, and there are a couple of companies, or you can arrange a rental directly from a DVC member. There is some risk, on both sides, when you rent privately, but I know many people who have done it, and had great experiences.

You don't get the same perks, like the discount, etc, but your room is treated like a regular DVC guest. The biggest difference from the other resorts (or paying Disney for a DVC room) is that you don't get daily housekeeping, just the trash taken out, with a cleaning or towel refresh every few days.

With a rental, you'll have to pay in full when you book (in most cases), and you don't have much (if any) flexibility with changes, but you will save quite a bit of money over regular Disney prices.

We've rented twice, both times at OKW, and LOVED the extra space, and when we had the 1-bedroom, the full kitchen.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

As an owner I have rented my points out a few times on years I have been unable to get down for a trip. I did this several years ago before I knew of any of the point rental companies in business today. I connected with renters through a Disney fan site. As a previous poster indicated this is not without risk but fortunately my experiences were great. And yes, this is totally OK. Owners have a threshold of how many times in a year they can do this before it's considered a business which is not allowed. And FYI - the legit point rental businesses are connecting renters with owners as opposed to literally renting you points to work within these parameters.
    Pooh Fan
    DVC Member- Home Resort SSR
    Sep 2000 - CBR & Dis Wonder
    Sep 2004 - OKW
    Sep 2006 - Pop
    Sep 2008 - OKW
    Feb/Mar 2009 - Off Site
    Sep 2009 - AKV
    Sep 2011 - OKW
    Sep 2012 - Paradise Pier
    Sep 2013 - Offsite and AKV
    Sep 2014 - ASM
    Nov 2015 - SSR
    May 2018 - OKW/AKV Kidani
    Jan 2020 - SSR

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is ever looking to rent out their points, with notice, I would certainly be interested!

JS
    3/89 WDW
    3/02 Day trip MK
    10/02 Honeymoon WL
    3/03 Day trip DLR
    10/03 1st Ann. ASMovies
    11/04-12/04 SSR
    9/05 Grand Calif
    7/06 WDW
    1/08 A Friend's Bachelor Party DLR
    8/09 DLR w/ newborn
    10/10 Princess' 1st trip to WDW
    6/14 Littlest Princess' 1st visit to WDW
    3/16 DLR
    9/19 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Skellington View Post
    If anyone is ever looking to rent out their points, with notice, I would certainly be interested!

JS
    I'll keep that in mind.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    I'll keep that in mind.

Steve
    Great! Send me a PM and I will send you my email address so we can connect offline as well.

JS
    3/89 WDW
    3/02 Day trip MK
    10/02 Honeymoon WL
    3/03 Day trip DLR
    10/03 1st Ann. ASMovies
    11/04-12/04 SSR
    9/05 Grand Calif
    7/06 WDW
    1/08 A Friend's Bachelor Party DLR
    8/09 DLR w/ newborn
    10/10 Princess' 1st trip to WDW
    6/14 Littlest Princess' 1st visit to WDW
    3/16 DLR
    9/19 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter came to me last night to discuss a Disney trip with her in-laws in 2022. She was interested in getting a Treehouse villa. For a trip in 2022, when would it be best for her to try to rent points?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    My daughter came to me last night to discuss a Disney trip with her in-laws in 2022. She was interested in getting a Treehouse villa. For a trip in 2022, when would it be best for her to try to rent points?
    The earliest DVC can book is 11 months before for a home resort so it is a little early for 2022. But in principle renting usually works out cheaper than booking direct but you can't get free dining plan for example.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Without knowing what time of the year she's planning, it's harder to give any specific advise.

DVC generally runs close to 100% capacity, and the demand at certain times of the year is extremely competitive. Late September through the first week of January is known as Fall Frenzy and for good reason - many room types at several resorts will be completely sold out within hours of the 11 month booking window opening, and most resorts will have limited availability (as in, you probably won't find a full week at any DVC property - possible exception of Saratoga Springs) at about the 8 month mark. When the 7 month window comes around (the time when any DVC member can book at any DVC resort) whatever is left will be gobbled up almost immediately.

The good news though, in this case, is the choice of the Treehouses. The Treehouses are arguably the least popular accommodations at the largest, and least popular DVC resort. There are 60 Treehouse units and they don't go nearly as quickly as everything else. For example, availability for this October - the height of Fall Frenzy and 4 months out - still shows a few multiple day stretches (2-4 days) available, while everything else is down to random, single days available.

Regardless, the best thing your daughter can do is try to find an owner who can book that reservation as close to the 11 month mark as possible. If going through a broker, she'd want to contact them a month or so prior to the 11 months mark before her trip, and be added to their list. The broker will then try to make the arrangement with an owner that wants to rent out their points. It can take time, and doesn't always work out. There are way more people wanting to rent than there are owners willing to rent out points. It's also possible to find an owner directly with whom you can work, but the risks are higher going that route, unless the owner is someone who is known to you.

Speaking of risks, there are several. Renting points is not for everyone. Once made, it is generally not possible to change anything. Payment is up-front and non-refundable. The renter does not own nor control the reservation - the owner does. DVC will not even talk to the renter. There is always a risk of losing all monies and arriving to find you don't actually have a room (it's exceedingly rare, but it happens).

Yes, renting points is less expensive than booking directly with Disney. But there is much more effort and risk associated with renting. If your dates aren't 100% firm, you're risk-adverse, or you don't do well not being in charge of everything about your trip, renting DVC points may not be for you.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the info. I went over to the in-law's house tonight to talk to them about it. They decided on 13 days in October for the Halloween party and the Food & Wine Festival. Other than DSIL, none of them have been to Disney World. In fact, none of them had been to Disneyland either until his sister went last weekend for a graduation trip with her friends. I narrowed the resorts down to a few choices I thought they would enjoy based on things DD had told me about them - Treehouse Villas, AKL Villas, AoA family suites, Ft Wilderness Cabins and Port Orleans. They seemed most interested in the treehouse villas and the Ft Wilderness Cabins, so I'm really glad to hear that there is a possibility of getting the treehouse villas. I'll tell DD to make sure they are all set at 12 months out, so they have the best chance.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.