Quantcast Use year?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Use year?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Use year?

I'm thinking of add on a small, resale, contract to my current points. I certainly want to get the points at the same resort, but I'm unclear as to how important having the same use year is. I guess I'm just unclear, in general, how a use year really affects my points, aside from when I need to bank them. Can anyone help clarify that for me?

Thanks much!
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It is much cleaner if you get your resale points with the same use-year. I don't think it's mandatory, but it can lead to some confusing and difficult situations with making reservations and banking points.

To be completely honest, I cannot list any specific issues. But I recall when we bought more points through resale, how the selling agent stressed that we would want to try and stay with the same use-year contract. Perhaps others can give you more specific pros and cons. We have several resale contracts at 3 different home resorts with the same use-year, and maintaining the points is pretty simple, whether it's making a reservation, borrowing points, or banking points.

Good luck with your new purchase, should you pursue it!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have points with two different use years, you have two separate memberships. When we were looking to add on (through Disney), they stressed the value of keeping to a single use year. Suppose you have two sets points with different use years, both at the same resort, and wanted to make a reservation. If you did not have enough points in one use year, you would have to either:
    - Split the stay into two reservations, one from each membership.
    - Transfer points from one membership to the other, then make the reservation.

If you log into the member website, and search on "Transfer Points" you will find more information.

It seems like a nuisance to me to have two memberships: Two sets of dues statements, two different login IDs, two sets of point balances to keep track of, two different sets of banking deadlines....

We have points at two different home resorts, on 4 different contracts, all with the same use year. Everything is on one membership - easy! We can even call member services to make a reservation inside the 7 month mark (when points can be used at non-home resorts) and tell Member Services how many points from each home resort to use, and no need to split the reservation.

If you find a good deal on a resale with a different use year, you can make it work. Just be aware that things will be a bit more complicated.
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

5. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FiggyFan is right...definitely stick with the same use year. Unless you are by chance someone who had like 400 points per year and wanted to buy another 400 points, then I could see some advantages to having them say six months apart. Good luck!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both! Good information to have.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

8. Likes baldburke liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: